oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

There's almost an acceptance in some quarters that COVID-19 is going to spread across the planet and affect everyone, when it simply won't.

I don't believe that anyone has suggested that it will affect everyone, merely that it could affect anyone that comes into contact with it.  It kinda has spread around the world though even with various restrictions in place.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

Think there was 50,000 deaths a few years back from flu.  It was alot more than normal.  Don't remember all this fuss then.

I just think we all need to just remain calm, far too many papers and media outlets jumping all over this and it causes panic.  

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51789141

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/51777154

Basically, the government still believes we are trying to contain the virus and must be feeling that given the spread doesn't seem as rapid as it could be that it's working to some effect right now. The government are seemingly taking their lead from experienced health professionals and generally, this seems to be supported across the houses of parliament which feels pretty rare recently.

It's all subject to change if things get worse but right now, we turn up for Swansea at home on Saturday despite the expectation that we'll probably be significantly closer, if not over the threshold of, 1,000 cases nationwide by the time the weekend hits.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

All sport in Italy suspended until April

Italy seems to have royally *** up somehow.

It's not surprising that's happened there though, they've just quarantined 14(?)million people in Northern Italy, including in Milan, home to two of the biggest teams in Serie A.

3 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I'll quite happily wager we won't.

In Italy there have already been over 7,000 infections and 360 deaths.

The UK isn't anywhere NEAR that level. Still only around 300 infections and just THREE deaths, so far.

You're completely over-reacting to this.

This is how viruses tend to work. You do know that? Once it gets into communities then it spreads rapidly like it has Italy. Let's hope we miraculously avoid that in this country but history suggests not.

No point burying your head in the sand and hoping it goes away.

2 hours ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Think there was 50,000 deaths a few years back from flu.  It was alot more than normal.  Don't remember all this fuss then.

I just think we all need to just remain calm, far too many papers and media outlets jumping all over this and it causes panic.  

Its got to the point I can't even listen to my usual radio stations, as they keep talking about the number of infections & deaths every time they do a news segment...along with how people are panic-buying, leaving supermarket shelves empty.

All they're doing is fueling the paranoia and panic.

On Radio 5 Live today they were even interviewing "preppers" (a.k.a survivalists) - those people who like to prepare for emergencies by buying gear and food and storing it. Then you had idiot listeners emailing in, calling them selfish and saying its their fault there's no stuff left on the shelves (bearing in mind preppers build up their stuff slowly over time).

200.gif

I ended up switching the radio off and listening to Totalrock Radio on my computer.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

This is how viruses tend to work. You do know that? Once it gets into communities then it spreads rapidly like it has Italy. Let's hope we miraculously avoid that in this country but history suggests not.

No point burying your head in the sand and hoping it goes away.

I know how viruses spread. I've learned more than I ever wanted to over the last couple of months, ever since the outbreak in China was announced.

But there is no way we are going to reach Italy levels of infections (20 times higher) & deaths (over 100 times higher) in the space of a couple of weeks.

Look at it this way - the first UK cases were announced at the end of January. Its been over a month and is still a long way off reaching anything like the levels in Italy.

6 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I know how viruses spread. I've learned more than I ever wanted to over the last couple of months, ever since the outbreak in China was announced.

But there is no way we are going to reach Italy levels of infections (20 times higher) & deaths (over 100 times higher) in the space of a couple of weeks.

Look at it this way - the first UK cases were announced at the end of January. Its been over a month and is still a long way off reaching anything like the levels in Italy.

Italy had roughly 300 confirmed CASES of COVID19 on the 25th February.

Fast forward LESS than 2 weeks later and they have around 450 DEATHS!

They also have roughly 9000 confirmed cases. 

So you are wrong when you say that we couldn't reach their levels aren't you. Let's hope this doesn't go the same way in this country but to say there isn't a chance is silly. People need to remain cautious and vigilant.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

See the financial market has been mental today.  Totally my point that the media needs to bloody back off!  It's ridiculous, take precautions and people be careful bit it's going to send the world into another recession.  

The financial markets have other things to be concerned about.  Today's stuff is more to do with that than the virus.

1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:

People need to remain cautious and vigilant.

Essentially this.

There's a lot of people who are naturally anxious at the way the media over-hypes everything and as someone who just last year had my worst spell of anxiety in my lifetime over something relatively similar, I understand how that must feel. I'm sure there are also a lot of people who are quite naturally anxious because they actually fall into the brackets of someone who might get hit quite hard by this. I know someone from an old job who is worried because him and his daughter already have pretty bad asthma and a respiratory disease on top of that must be quite worrying.

At the same time, we have the absolute opposite, blase and ignorant, uncaring even in some instances. Not taking it seriously enough and might not amend their day-to-day routine if told to do so. That's even more worrying to me.

There's a balance, caution without panic is a good move. Do what the medical experts are telling you to do. Go through the proper procedure if you think you've got it. Look after yourself.