oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

36 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s not great reading for the likes of us older folk is it CT?

You're a survivor mate, you've already made it through the cholera pandemic and the Spanish flu early in the 20th century so I reckon you'll get through this just fine 👌

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

Just when I was getting over the Black Death....it's one thing after another......can't wait for next years plague of locusts and the waters of the Tees turning red......can't remember what the others were but one might have been a murrain of chickens 

• Like 1

I have no doubts that large gatherings and events will be cancelled/postponed in the next few weeks. I'd be shocked if the rest of the football season goes on as normal. It's the right decision.

I reckon this weekend will be the last games of football for a while in this country, or at least infront of fans.

44 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Interesting. So in about 2 weeks' time we should have over 7,000 diagnosed cases and over 350 deaths.

See you in 2 weeks on that score.

Also if you'd caught the budget statement today, you'd have heard the measures the government is putting in place to manage the virus. Certainly not adopting a "wait and see" approach.

Your constant references to "Boris" also speak to a highly biased anti-Tory stance, rather than rational, logical train of thought.

I'm saying those numbers are the risk being run if we dont act appropriately. 

As for the budget, I'd be really interested to understand what you think they've announced that will effectively stop the spread of the virus. Because to me each measure is a) extremely vague (whatever amount of money the NHS needs it gets - where is this money coming from and where has it been the last 10 years of NHS cuts?) And b) completely reactionary and not at all preventative.

As for your final point, as the head of state the buck stops with boris. It's that simple. 

1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

This is explained quite simply in the following graphic. Quite simply were behind in terms of when the outbreak started. In 2 weeks we will be in the same timeframe as where italy are now, with today's increase the chances are looking higher that we could end up in the same situation.

As for panic.. no one is promoting panic. We are looking for appropriate measures to be taken and not just boris's wait  around and see. Every other major country in europe is going into various stages of lockdown - why do you thing that Britain is right and they are wrong?

Was Italy's first case 13 days before ours? I feel like it wasn't even close to that long.

23 minutes ago, Will said:

Was Italy's first case 13 days before ours? I feel like it wasn't even close to that long.

There will be a difference between the first reported case and when they believe the virus was already in the country.  Some people will have had it but presented with symptoms that were flu/colds/pneumonia or whatever and they wouldn't have been flagged up.  For example, I think the first reported case here was those Chinese people in York at the end of January but they had travelled into UK.  They think the virus was actually in Italy in mid January but undetected and they were probably too slow to spot it.

The danish government has just closed all schools, daycares, educational systems and all non critical public employees are being sent home for 14 days as of this Friday. All employees in the private sector are encouraged to walk from home if possible. 

Just now, Borodane said:

The danish government has just closed all schools, daycares, educational systems and all non critical public employees are being sent home for 14 days as of this Friday. All employees in the private sector are encouraged to walk from home if possible. 

Blimey how does that affect you? Are you freelance?

14 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Blimey how does that affect you? Are you freelance?

I’m in the private sector. So far we’re not being sent home. But let’s see what happens tomorrow. I can easily work from home, so that won’t be a problem. 

I work in finance, and currently I work for a business that imports huge quantities of fresh fruit. Our entire supply chain is/has already put measures in place to minimise the potential spread. This virus has potentially (and it is all potential) huge implications on our supply chain and also the wider supply chain.

I completely understand the need to be concerned by this virus. Moreso for the financial implications of upto 1/5 of the British work force all being ill at the same time (a worst case scenario).

6 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Fair point. Although worldwide, flu kills tens of thousands of people every year...despite the fact vaccines are prepared for it.

Coronavirus is a different entity, but to date has resulted in far fewer deaths.

For what its worth it seems they are going to begin human testing of a vaccine next month. If you oldies can just hold on long enough... 😜

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0863tvj

More people have died of flu because tens of millions of people catch it each year compared to 100,000 who have coronavirus, how can this be so difficult for people to understand?

Flu has a death rate of 0.1%, this is killing around 4% at the moment

9 hours ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Yep nothing new in what I say but that's because there is no need to keep bleating on about this bloody subject.  I'm all for talk, I love the debate but this 'bad flu' is just getting boring now.  Yes it's awful for folk that are dying (6 in our country) and for folk that are effected but it all needs to calm down.  I'm no Tory but the government have been brilliant with this, no rash silly decisions and just taking it as it comes.  Unfortunately the media like to have a story to publish.  

The government has done nothing at all to help this, wonder if you will still be praising them in 2 weeks when their massively underfunded healthcare system has collapsed due to this?

I work as a manager in the supported living sector with vulnerable adults and Coronavirus is VERY serious. If one of the vulnerable people I support or a staff member get it there will almost certainly be fatalities.

We have a meeting tomorrow to plan how we can keep the business continuing providing support for the most vulnerable.