oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

Just now, Neverbefore said:

Yet the science in almost every country does support it.. if they hadnt spent 10 years cutting those very resources we would be much more prepared for this and wed be able to take precautions now to protect our vulnerable citizens. Whole thing is a disgrace.

Does the science in almost every country support it or have they decided to take the action ahead of time?  I have no idea but our experts seem pretty sure of what they are saying, it was all matter of fact with no hyperbole.  We seem to have fewer cases than a lot of countries so perhaps we are simply not in the same position as they are just yet?  I think what the government here are saying is that they will do more but that will be at some point later.  If you lock down a country, then you have to stay in lock down until the virus disappears completely.  That's not going to be in a couple of weeks unfortunately so how are countries going to be able to cope in that state for months potentially?  Eire has closed it's schools and colleges from tomorrow until the 29th March - unless they somehow know that the virus will be either gone or contained by then, what happens when the 29th comes around and people still have it?  I think the other point to mention is that they want people to get the virus to build up immunity in the population.  They don't want vulnerable people to get it obviously, they want healthy people to get it who could fight it off and recover but they do want/need people to get it as it will help to block it's spread in the future.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Does the science in almost every country support it or have they decided to take the action ahead of time?  I have no idea but our experts seem pretty sure of what they are saying, it was all matter of fact with no hyperbole.  We seem to have fewer cases than a lot of countries so perhaps we are simply not in the same position as they are just yet?  I think what the government here are saying is that they will do more but that will be at some point later.  If you lock down a country, then you have to stay in lock down until the virus disappears completely.  That's not going to be in a couple of weeks unfortunately so how are countries going to be able to cope in that state for months potentially?  Eire has closed it's schools and colleges from tomorrow until the 29th March - unless they somehow know that the virus will be either gone or contained by then, what happens when the 29th comes around and people still have it?  I think the other point to mention is that they want people to get the virus to build up immunity in the population.  They don't want vulnerable people to get it obviously, they want healthy people to get it who could fight it off and recover but they do want/need people to get it as it will help to block it's spread in the future.

I think the science certainly does support the suspension of leagues. Look at the way its spread....

However i agree with your point about whether these leagues are doing it as a precaution. Why wait till the virus is among the players and spreads rather then shutting down for 30 days. Its a bit different here in North America i suppose as we have less cases as of now but the idea is to take a step back for 30 days as a country and let the virus run its course which its lifespan is 10-14 days. There will be financial burden but for the good of all why would you not?

10 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

I think the science certainly does support the suspension of leagues. Look at the way its spread....

However i agree with your point about whether these leagues are doing it as a precaution. Why wait till the virus is among the players and spreads rather then shutting down for 30 days. Its a bit different here in North America i suppose as we have less cases as of now but the idea is to take a step back for 30 days as a country and let the virus run its course which its lifespan is 10-14 days. There will be financial burden but for the good of all why would you not?

The problem is, the virus is likely to peak in around 10 weeks time as CT says, it’s too early, if we are going to stick to the government approved strategy, drastic measures shouldn’t be bought in for a few weeks yet.
Apparently the UK is 4 weeks behind Italy, so I would say 3-4 weeks will be the timescale. 

Its madness that the EFL and EPL are not suspending games. 

All sport is shut down in Ireland at all levels, with the exception of horse racing (behind closed doors)

6 minutes ago, boroie said:

Its madness that the EFL and EPL are not suspending games. 

All sport is shut down in Ireland at all levels, with the exception of horse racing (behind closed doors)

I think they’ve gone a bit too early on that. 

I’ve read this thread from start to finish (so far) and the only question I really have is: 

Who the FRICK is this Redrow Homes gut and why does he keep on insisting that I buy a house in Berkshire 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, BoroJake said:

I think the inaction of the government is quite shocking to be honest. Are people really going to follow 7 days of isolation as soon as they get a cough or fever? I highly doubt this and it’ll more than likely do nothing to slow the spread of the virus

Considering a high number of people will have to rely on SSP if they are off work, how many people can we realistically expect will agree to loose 7 days work if they have a cough?

Even for this inept government the slow reaction has been shocking.

8 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

The government is allowing life to carry on as it is until thousands of people get the disease before measures are taken.

And it will be too late then, the NHS will be completely overwhelmed. 

• Like 2

Each country is at a different stage in their cycle of misery,France n Italy at the start of the nastiness and the Chinese are hopefully coming out of the other end, all nations will be stretched on this, but once our cases start to spike and the nation starts to shut down, the only timescale we have for how long this could take is China atm and they have been shut down since new year.

so if this follows the same sort of time scales as China we looking at 3-4 months of  shut downs, then hopefully we an start to get the systems back up and that’s based on how China is now, others will still be going through hell while some hoping he’ll doesnt start again.

season 20/21 will never get played imo it will have an Astrix like the war seasons, I wonder how many clubs will be in a position to still compete then after over 18 months without a home game. 

3 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

The problem is, the virus is likely to peak in around 10 weeks time as CT says, it’s too early, if we are going to stick to the government approved strategy, drastic measures shouldn’t be bought in for a few weeks yet.
Apparently the UK is 4 weeks behind Italy, so I would say 3-4 weeks will be the timescale. 

Nobody knows when this virus will "peak". To say you wait till it gets to its absolute worst before closing things down is reactionary. The point is to limit the strain on the system and the hospital's and supply chain. We are talking about suspending sport. Soccer mean nothing compared to public safety. Im glad we are being precautionary here in North America

1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

That will be the games cancelled this weekend I would suspect

Thought that with the leicester thing... I fear that the premier league will keep going until they're forced to stop by the government..   which appears to be a long way away.