oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

11 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

This is practically what Boris has said he wants people to get it and build up herd immunity. However he wants population to get gradually

I know someone has said it, but I don't think it was Boris was it?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

And now they're making a massive u turn on the public gathering stance 24 hours later. What are they actually playing at and who are they listening to for these describe? Absolute farce. 

It's Boris Johnson, I mean we've actually voted this guy in to make decisions about things like this ( when I see we, I mean the country, I sure as hell didn't vote him in). As long as we keep washing our hands then everything will be fine.

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

This is practically what Boris has said he wants people to get it and build up herd immunity. However he wants population to get gradually

It takes about 60-70% infection to get herd immunity apparently. a) if we are just hoping to get 40million people ill and 8million hospitalised so that we the rest can be safe, that isn't a workable strategy.  It won't be gradual if you just let people continue as they are today, which means the NHS will fail.

There is a good study of why herd immunity doesn't work, form the spanish flu in america.  https://qz.com/1816060/a-chart-of-the-1918-spanish-flu-shows-why-social-distancing-works/

But back to the footy, I think the cut off date is May 16th, if we haven't restarted by then, the season is scrapped. 

43 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

And now they're making a massive u turn on the public gathering stance 24 hours later. What are they actually playing at and who are they listening to for these describe? Absolute farce. 

You know they say there is a plan it's just making it up as they go along as this is unprecedented they don't know what to do

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

You know they say there is a plan it's just making it up as they go along as this is unprecedented they don't know what to do

1 minute ago, DurhamRed said:

I suspect they've had an absolute diplomatic kicking from the US, the EU, the WHO and others. This is no time for ridiculous experimentation strategies. Remember Cummings is the man that believes doing things different is the path to victory, doing the unpredicted, allowing the 'freaks and weirdos' (in his own words) to step forward and do things differently. This article from the head of the WHO is clearly aimed at our government https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-mission-briefing-on-covid-19---12-march-2020?fbclid=IwAR2Af1Np8b6Ju0hojiwGl4wUKuglXtDDo8Fd6ChepqIiPEvSk-jX_F8GehM

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Boro Scot said:

It's Boris Johnson, I mean we've actually voted this guy in to make decisions about things like this ( when I see we, I mean the country, I sure as hell didn't vote him in). As long as we keep washing our hands then everything will be fine.

well, that went well didnt it

5 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a farce. It demonstrates a flexible approach. They don’t have all the answers and are reacting to new data that is arriving daily. 
They  had to push a statement out when they did as to hold back would have drawn widespread criticism about inactivity and gambling on the public’s health. 
Yesterday saw the single biggest increase of confirmed cases and the first death in Scotland, so the goal posts had moved again. We as a country and a world are all making it up as we go along as we’ve never faced anything like this before. Yes we’ve historic examples of epidemics/pandemics before but not coupled with problems and conditions that today adds, over population, an ageing population and the ability to travel the distances we can.  The fragile state of the NHS also needs to considered. A cut in funding needs to take it’s part of the blame, but also the massive misuse and burden the public have bestowed upon it. Using it for a drop in centre for routine non emergency treatment when they could have tried other means rather than A&E as a first port of call for example.
Economical protective measures need to be put in place also as if we cripple that all issues will be further exasperated. 
Do I think the government have got everything right? No I don’t but I don’t think any party would have. One thing I am pretty certain of, is that it’s going to get worse before it gets better and they are going to be a lot of scared people. 
The media both conventional and social will have a huge part to play  so I hope they conduct themselves professionally and responsibly rather than the sensationalist agenda they tend to portray in recent years.

Im not religious but try to find reassurance or comfort in whatever medium that works for you and look for positive, effective measures rather than blame

All in all I hope everyone in the oneBoro community (and wider of course) stay safe. Look after your loved ones and maybe keep a eye out for the more vulnerable who may be out on a limb so to speak.  

(NB this post started as a reply to your post but quickly evolved into a message to all. Don’t take it personally 👍

• Like 6

The uk strategy is different from everywhere else which is a risk but I think it makes more sense. Other countries are trying to entirely shut down and hope the virus goes away but in all likelihood once they relax this it will come back and they are back at square 1. We seem to be trying to get mass immunity by allowing it to spread slowly at a rate the nhs can cope with, then over a period of time the country gets herd immunity protection and it doesn’t come back in a big way. Risky but potentially smart. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

There was a danish scientist yesterday who explained fairly well why they are doing it the way they are in Britain. In short there is a “text book” plan on pandemic that describes what to do at what stages. Doing things too early won’t help and currently Britain are following that line and there is nothing wrong with the way they are doing it. You can’t just compare with a country that is at a different level. The public needs to stop whipping up a frenzy. There are experts in the area advising the government on how to go about it and are also taking advice from the international community of scientists. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, sackrobson2 said:

The uk strategy is different from everywhere else which is a risk but I think it makes more sense. Other countries are trying to entirely shut down and hope the virus goes away but in all likelihood once they relax this it will come back and they are back at square 1. We seem to be trying to get mass immunity by allowing it to spread slowly at a rate the nhs can cope with, then over a period of time the country gets herd immunity protection and it doesn’t come back in a big way. Risky but potentially smart. 

Which would probably be the best thing to do if the NHS hadnt been underfunded for years. This way means that the need for hospital care will massively increase and it seems pretty clear the NHS doesnt have the capacity to manage at the moment, so how do they manage when they suddenly need to double their capacity

14 minutes ago, jamesp said:

Which would probably be the best thing to do if the NHS hadnt been underfunded for years. This way means that the need for hospital care will massively increase and it seems pretty clear the NHS doesnt have the capacity to manage at the moment, so how do they manage when they suddenly need to double their capacity

I’m no medical expert but in my opinion we need to be investing hugely in ventilators as part of this delaying strategy. Pneumonia is the killer here and people die because they can’t get access to an oxygen ventilator. 

apparently in Italy the doctors had to chose who to give the Ventilators to and who to let die. Younger people with kids were prioritised and then the rest suffocated to death in waiting rooms. It’s horrific. 

2 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

From a purely epidemiological point of view, it is a sensible approach. Time will tell whether it is a smart move in reality. The approach is dependent on the virus staying largely the same (enough for our immune systems to recognise that they have antibodies against it and for those antibodies to work correctly) and on our being able to keep those who are most vulnerable away from the virus until herd immunity has developed. 

If the virus mutates significantly (it is a coronavirus which is the same family as the common cold and the cold virus mutates a lot) then when other countries lift restrictions and get a second peak the new version could re-enter here and we'd be back to square one. If that happened, the countries with a second peak and mutated version of the virus would be totally screwed as it would go round everyone again if it was significantly different. 

The approach being taken also depends on people being willing to do things like reducing their contact with those who are most vulnerable to serious complications from the virus. I fear the old 'family first' motto may put paid to that if people are unwilling to stop visiting vulnerable relatives in care homes etc because they have a right to do what they want with their relatives and seeing them is more important in their eyes than protecting them from this unknown thing they haven't understood. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, jamesp said:

I’m not convinced that it has been under funded but more like badly run and over abused 

• Confused 1
  • Angry 1