oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

26 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

And they have pre booked all the sun loungers in The Canaries for when they can go on holiday!

I've heard some of them already have their towels on hospital beds, just in case

• Haha 3
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, OldManGravz said:

I'm in no way qualified to say how I would handle it better, nor did I say I could.

I believe the Tory capitalist nature has led to non-vital businesses being kept open longer than they should, and that some of the policies, such as 80% of workers pay being guaranteed are more reactionary than precautionary. I think a more social minded government would have put these changes into place earlier.

Of course I am just hypothesising as I don't have all the information available to me but we are two weeks behind Italy and even further behind China, and could have used them as an example sooner.

Also, as I said before, even if you think the current government is doing well, I believe the policies getting the most plaudits are down to Rishi Sunak rather than Boris

Well some folks on here were saying that 2 weeks ago we would be in the same situation as Italy.

As of today, we're still a long way behind where Italy was, both in terms of recorded cases and deaths (they were already at over 7,000 cases and 360 deaths).

Its absolutely tragic how those numbers have escalated since...though medical experts have pointed out Italy has a much larger elderly population than the UK...so maybe those numbers just reflect that.

Looking at the pure numbers, it would appear the government's actions are suppressing the rise in cases and fatalities better than in most other countries. 

As I said in another post, we may have a capitalist, Tory government in power, but I'm pretty sure their motivations have been anything but selfish...for two reasons.

First and foremost, the longer you keep the country "locked down", the harder it is for businesses to survive. Those businesses provide employment and income to people. If the businesses go under, people can lose their jobs.

Secondly, the longer restrictions are imposed, the higher the risk of people ignoring them and the necessity of needing the police and even the Army to enforce those restrictions.

Just thought of a third one. The government is already having to borrow massive amounts of money. Putting the measures in place earlier would mean borrowing even more. This WILL come back to bite us on the ass at some point, in the form of more austerity measures. So I'm guessing they are trying to limit their borrowing as far as possible.

AS I've said before, its an incredibly tricky balancing act they are trying to perform, between stamping out the virus and retaining some semblance of normality...AND limiting the economic impacts, both during and after.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Uwe said:

There’s a good reason we don’t chat about politics on this forum. Think we should keep it that way 

I think it may be a bit too late for that. 

It seems to be remaining civil so far, even if there is some disagreement.

You can always swing your mod hammer if things get out of hand. 😁 

face GIF

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Apparently the Germans have started stockpiling sausages and cheese. Is that the würst käse scenario?

Uwe - fetch your ban hammer!

We can't have such terrible punnery on the forum. 😂

I'm just trying not to imagine what their houses will smell like in 10-12 weeks' time, with that sort of diet. 😮🤮

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Well some folks on here were saying that 2 weeks ago we would be in the same situation as Italy.

As of today, we're still a long way behind where Italy was, both in terms of recorded cases and deaths (they were already at over 7,000 cases and 360 deaths).

We are in pretty much the same situation as Italy - people will see that soon. 

Italy had their first death on Feb 22nd, then two weeks after on March 7th they had 35 dead. One month later on March 22nd they have 4,800 dead.

The UK had its first death on 1st March, then two weeks later we had 144 dead. On 1st April we will be in just as bad a place as the Italians are now if not worse - as they locked down on Day 16 whereas we still had everything open. China locked down on Day 12.

I am currently in quarantine/isolation as my mother in law (who we are living with) has the symptoms of Covid-19. My wife and I are both key workers (social care with vulnerable adults) so neither of us are able to go to work! Frustrating but necessary! 

• Sad 1
14 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

I am currently in quarantine/isolation as my mother in law (who we are living with) has the symptoms of Covid-19. My wife and I are both key workers (social care with vulnerable adults) so neither of us are able to go to work! Frustrating but necessary! 

Good luck and hope you come through this, hopefully once this all over and due to the time we all going to have to think about things we can plan a society that works better than before by recognising and better supporting the services and people that make our society better.

im terrible at always appreciating those folk who make society better, so I’m hoping that once this all over I will be a less oblivious person.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, BearSmog said:

Sending best wishes, mate 👍

Putin has just made a simple statement:

He said “Russian citizens have two options (1) Stay at home for 15 days or (2) Stay in prison for 5 years”

End of statement 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 3/21/2020 at 2:27 PM, sackrobson2 said:

The current world death rate based on total recorded closed cases is now up to 11%. It was 6% a couple of weeks ago. It’s gone up since China got the virus under control.

The official recorded death rate in China was about 4% and no country will get close to that figure, it will be higher everywhere else in the world. Anyone on here still kidding themselves this is a flu needs to wake up. The uk will end up with a death rate significantly higher than 4% and this means old people are at a massively higher risk of death. 

There’s a big argument lots of people are going undiagnosed which is fair enough but Germany are testing everyone. See the chart. 21,000 cases and only 73 deaths. A paltry 0.3% death rate. But also see the closed cases chart. 26% death rate. 

stay at home guys. 

22BC6A8C-BF4F-4468-97D3-5122B21E091D.jpeg

6CB6739F-8B8C-42CE-BA9B-361D6BDCBC23.jpeg

I was saying today about how well Germany seem to be doing at keeping the deaths down. But its apparently the way the deaths are recorded The uk record everybody who dies with coronavirus. Germany record everybody who dies of coronavirus.

3 hours ago, BearSmog said:

Oh wow - thats awful!

My best wishes to all of you - that your mun-in-law pulls through okay and that you both see out your quarantine clean and safe to return to work.

For what its worth, I'm sure there must be many others in similar situations. Just gotta hang in there!

16 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

That’s all true but of those 300,000 you quote, approx 200,000 still have it and a hell of a lot of them will die, so that 4% number doesn’t really mean much. It just means 4% of the recorded people who have it now have died at this point, when only a third of cases have resolved. I agree we have no idea of actual total cases, certainly in the Uk we are not even trying to find this out. 

on the plus side, Wilson highlighted that people do die a lot quicker than they recover so the early stats are massively weighted to the deaths. On that worldometers website there is a graph of this particular measure and the Chinese started out at almost 50% and it came down to 4%. As the virus is subsiding in China it is converging with the simple deaths divided by cases metric which is only really valid once the virus has gone away.  

A hell of a lot of them probably won't die though!  If I said to you that 250,000 people might die from this in this country alone then that's a huge number obviously but it's only about 0.38% of the population.  Most of the people who contract this virus will not die from it however.  That's not me trying to be an expert, that's me reading the various stuff from the experts who are quite clear in saying this.  Thus far the global percentages seem to match the Chinese percentages from earlier on, suggesting that they are indeed reasonably accurate.  There can always be outliers for different reasons - Italy has been hard hit for example.  But there is nothing to suggest that mortality rates will be a lot higher everywhere else at this point in time and it's wrong to say that.  I have to stress this again, even in countries with the most extensive testing, there will be people who have the virus and aren't being tested because they have no symptoms at all so the number of people who have this is going to be a lot higher than the current totals and the mortality rates should therefore be lower.  The critical thing, as we've seen mentioned repeatedly, is trying to protect the more vulnerable people in society.  If we can do this and do it well then the mortality rates should be even lower still.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Blanco said:

He said “Russian citizens have two options (1) Stay at home for 15 days or (2) Stay in prison for 5 years”

End of statement 

Thats possibly the first thing he's ever said that I agree with.

As I've said before, dictatorships do have their good points...now and again...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Blanco said:

End of statement 

Lol, fair play to him, he doesn't mess around 😀

• Like 1