oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

There's an air of simply, we don't have enough time to discuss the potential ramifications for taking any strategy. We have to go with the best we've got right now. The global economy isn't gonna bust overnight through delays, it's gonna need stabilising in parts for sure but I don't think there's a country in the world ready to deal with this pandemic. We seem to have some idea which direction we need to go into to be more ready for it and delaying for time to put us in that position, in my eyes, seems like a pretty good plan.

If I compare that to my industry, say you're coming to crunch time on a project and final submissions are coming close but you have a catastrophe happening around you. You can either make dog-*** quick decisions or you can buy yourself some time to come up with a better plan. As it is, delaying is potentially going to allow the health service to manage emergency care requirements and allowing industry to get involved and start building more equipment and capacity needed to cope with more cases, never mind that it gives the people at the top time to think about a better, longer term strategy and put it in place, rather than just snapping their fingers at the first idea that comes forward to take the fight to the virus.

Saying that by the start of June, the virus would have burned out is not a suitable justification for allowing our health service to be overrun for 2-3 months as we watch 1000s of people die. It's certainly not a judgement a political system should make overnight. Of course the virus isn't going away if we delay, that has literally never been the point. Good luck leading a country as a democratically elected representative when you tell people "We need to let people die to win this battle".

The isolation and distancing strategy would only delay the inevitable crash if we do nothing different while it is ongoing. However what we are (or at least should be) doing is building up resources (protective equipment, ventilators, ICU beds, etc), creating and building testing equipment (the goal is like a pregnancy test), and giving scientists time to work on drugs to assist most critical people. Every week we prolong the crisis is another week to be ready for the next peak. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

8 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I've spent the last few days battling Coronavirus! Obviously I can't be definitive about that til the home testing comes out, but I have five of the seven most common symptoms according to the WHO, and my wife has six - including the top three. It's the first time in my life a dry cough has then turned productive, the first time I've felt breathless other than while walking around in really hot climates, etc.

On the upside, assuming I test positive next week or the week after for the antibodies, I can honestly say it's not a patch on flu. I've been able to work from home insofar as there's still work to do, only missed a few meals, and though I feel pretty crap, I'm still functioning. The lack of sleep from all the coughing is the worst part.

I'm also attempting to register as an NHS volunteer, but healthcare is devolved to Scotland and the SNP cannot bear to copy a good idea the English came up with first, so there's no opportunity to do so yet. At least I shouldn't have to worry about catching Coronavirus if I'm running in and out of chemists and supermarkets for people.

When I'm not trying to catch up on sleep, I am reading a lot more. Dominic Sandbrook has just published a brilliant book called Who Dares Wins, about Thatcher's first term in office. There's loads of football references (he's a massive Wolves fan), and lots of wry humour. Highly recommended if you're interested in the history of modern Britain.

Hope you and your wife feel better soon, all the best! :)

Edited by Ash
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

*facepalm*

I'm not a Brexiteer but if we are looking to move forward as a nation that looks primarily after itself, and so long as we are sourcing the ventilators for ourselves (as I'm sure I read earlier that we are, via Dyson in one instance) then I'm tempted to say this isn't the strangest thing to do. I don't think it does anything but confirm our willingness to distance ourselves from the EU, something the public has (unfortunately in my eyes) shown a willingness to do twice now.

If I was to put this and 'not pushing back the trade deal negotiation timetable because nobody is negotiating right now' on the same scale of 'Brexit shittery', it would overwhelmingly fall on the side of the latter, lets put it that way. This virus is frankly a superbly convenient excuse for Brexiteers to avoid the discussions and exit 'as promised' towards the end of this year.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not a Brexiteer but if we are looking to move forward as a nation that looks primarily after itself, and so long as we are sourcing the ventilators for ourselves (as I'm sure I read earlier that we are, via Dyson in one instance) then I'm tempted to say this isn't the strangest thing to do. I don't think it does anything but confirm our willingness to distance ourselves from the EU, something the public has (unfortunately in my eyes) shown a willingness to do twice now.

If I was to put this and 'not pushing back the trade deal negotiation timetable because nobody is negotiating right now' on the same scale of 'Brexit shittery', it would overwhelmingly fall on the side of the latter, lets put it that way. This virus is frankly a superbly convenient excuse for Brexiteers to avoid the discussions and exit 'as promised' towards the end of this year.

But this is more a case of cutting our nose off to spite our face.

The EU is, in my opinion, doing the correct thing. Just because the govt want to be out doesn't mean we should go against every idea the EU has

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

The EU is, in my opinion, doing the correct thing. Just because the govt want to be out doesn't mean we should go against every idea the EU has

If it was a good idea. The government would go for it. I doubt very much they are just being spiteful especially the billions they are forking out due to this virus anyway. 
The thing is we don’t know the deal that Brussels were offering. But I can’t think for one moment it would be finically beneficial to the UK. However this then hints at a more serious ethical question  

34 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Is it? Like I said, so long as we are sourcing the ventilators to cover our problem then we're not cutting our own nose off. And the evidence suggests that we are doing that.

We just don't want to be dragged into looking after other countries when our country has democratically decided we get little to no benefit from it. I'm not saying I agree with that notion but if I were to go into the reasons why, it would turn into a debate of Brexit and frankly, I've had enough of that for now after the last few exhausting years. It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Fireworks 🎆

Nice touch 👍👏

Seen them too. Although I was a little disappointed with the turnout in our village 😔

58 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

Perhaps the UK government have simply decided to focus on purchasing the equipment for themselves as opposed to distributing them among lots of countries?  Do you think that massive bulk buying will see the equipment being manufactured more quickly because I don't.  We're sourcing ours from wherever we can get them and everyone else is doing the same so I doubt it really matters what the process is for acquiring them.  The EU is seeking to do what it always does, which is to show it's togetherness even in tough circumstances, even if the reality is quite different when it really comes down to it.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how they allocate the key equipment between the various countries. 

I've just seen on the BBC news app that the government are changing their story.

Coronavirus: 'Mix-up' over EU ventilator scheme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Now it turns out we didn’t get some emails and therefore missed a deadline to join the EU programme. Got to wonder how bad communication is in this government, every other day there’s contradictions. 

4 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

It will be interesting to see how they allocate the key equipment between the various countries. 

I've just seen on the BBC news app that the government are changing their story.

Coronavirus: 'Mix-up' over EU ventilator scheme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Now it turns out we didn’t get some emails and therefore missed a deadline to join the EU programme. Got to wonder how bad communication is in this government, every other day there’s contradictions. 

It’s all about how you want to perceive the story. 
Anti government/Brexit: This government is inept of the highest level. Cutting its nose of to spite its face in order to double down on its anti Europe vitriol ultimately putting life’s at risk.  
Or

Pro Government/Brexit: The government wanted to get ahead of the ventilator issues rather than delay which would’ve happened with the amount of bureaucracy within Brussels. Especially  it comes to distribution. 

Incidentally I think nether  is true and the facts will be somewhere in the middle. However if the UK didn’t receive the details of the deal before a deadline was due, is that accusing the EU of purposely leaving us out in time of a global pandemic? 🤷‍♂️

The one thing I do know for certain is that Layla Morans comment about putting Brexit before Breathing is pathetic and shows what a truly self serving, nasty piece of work her party is

Well if there was a time for all politicians to get it right then this is it!

Touching over 100 deaths in 24 hours is just the beginning and how long will it be before we get back to even double figures?    

54 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Well if there was a time for all politicians to get it right then this is it!

Touching over 100 deaths in 24 hours is just the beginning and how long will it be before we get back to even double figures?    

It's going to get a lot, lot worse before it gets better :(

Oh and by the way, I don't *think* anyone here is a massive boozehound, but some of my idiotic facebook friends are, and they're saying they're drinking daily out of sheer boredom.

If you'd rather not have a massively compromised immune system for when COVID-19 hits, don't do this.