• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

I don't even blame the majority of the people getting on the trains because most of them will be key workers. However, if we can't manage the situation better then the tube would be better off just being closed, doctors and nurses could be put up in hotels close to their place of work or taxis should be laid on. 

A packed tube will be like an incubator for the virus and the situation surely can't carry on like this. Another point is that apparently the construction sites are still supposed to be working as normal in London which will also add to the passenger numbers on public transport. Why aren't the government clamping down on the construction industry? 

I'm glad to have lived in a society where we have a lot of freedom but in the current situation I think the government needs to exert more control especially in London. 

• Like 1

The devastating impact of our governments short lived herd immunity policy is now showing its effects in the latest death figures. Getting worse every day, only a few days out from spain and Italy.

Compare the figures to Ireland's, which albeit is a smaller sample and you can see the difference the speed and extent of reaction has had. 

It's worth remembering that the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 onwards claimed 50 million lives or thereabouts world wide.

No efforts to impose social distancing nor self isolation. Yes it was a different time and knowledge of it was simply not known by Mr and Mrs Public.

Let us hope that what we are al undergoing really does make a difference in final figures 

1 hour ago, boroie said:

US saying they could have 250,000 deaths in the next few weeks

Saw a timeline of Trump's comments alongside the increased cases. Absolutely mad stuff.

1 hour ago, Downsouth said:

It's worth remembering that the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918 onwards claimed 50 million lives or thereabouts world wide.

No efforts to impose social distancing nor self isolation. Yes it was a different time and knowledge of it was simply not known by Mr and Mrs Public.

Let us hope that what we are al undergoing really does make a difference in final figures 

Interesting video of how the current pandemic and Spanish Flu compare and how they are different 🙂

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

The devastating impact of our governments short lived herd immunity policy is now showing its effects in the latest death figures. Getting worse every day, only a few days out from spain and Italy.

Compare the figures to Ireland's, which albeit is a smaller sample and you can see the difference the speed and extent of reaction has had. 

I'm not sure that's the case.  The population of Ireland is lower than the population of Scotland but Ireland has more confirmed cases and almost an identical number of fatalities - 71 against 76.  Population, population density, population age and population distribution will be factors that make the difference in a lot of countries.  England has a much higher population density than either of those countries, and actually Spain and Italy as well, so the virus should spread more easily here unfortunately.

Edit - I do wonder if they are dragging their heels on this antibody test because it might show a huge number of people have had it already and the mortality rate is therefore very low.  

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not sure that's the case.  The population of Ireland is lower than the population of Scotland but Ireland has more confirmed cases and almost an identical number of fatalities - 71 against 76.  Population, population density, population age and population distribution will be factors that make the difference in a lot of countries.  England has a much higher population density than either of those countries, and actually Spain and Italy as well, so the virus should spread more easily here unfortunately.

Edit - I do wonder if they are dragging their heels on this antibody test because it might show a huge number of people have had it already and the mortality rate is therefore very low.  

Valid point, population density is huge in terms of spread. Most of the impact in Ireland has been in the East of the country (ie Dublin) where about a quarter of the population live (its the most dense region). I'm very worried for major metropolis areas (London) as it will be so difficult to fully lock down and ensure social distancing. 

4 hours ago, Changing Times said:

What would be the government's motive for that? 

11 minutes ago, Duvel said:

What would be the government's motive for that? 

Perhaps because people aren't taking their rules seriously enough already and anything that undermines how serious it is in this climate is perceived as a bad thing?

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Perhaps because people aren't taking their rules seriously enough already and anything that undermines how serious it is in this climate is perceived as a bad thing?

Yeah I could see the reasoning behind that I suppose. 

Spurs, Newcastle, Norwich and Bournemouth have indicated that they will pay 100% of players wages whilst asking non playing staff to apply for other funding towards their wages.

Football fans I believe will not forget this moving ahead.

The comedian Eddie Large (if you remember him) has died of COVID 19 he had heart problems for a long period I understand

11 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Spurs, Newcastle, Norwich and Bournemouth have indicated that they will pay 100% of players wages whilst asking non playing staff to apply for other funding towards their wages.

Football fans I believe will not forget this moving ahead.

I believe this is what we are doing, isn't it? And it's not the people themselves who have to apply for the funding, it's the businesses, isn't it? That's how I understood it. I don't know if Bournemouth and such are topping up non-playing staff wages the way Boro have said they are but we are going through the same scheme by way of having the government pay for 80% of their wages. And Eddie Howe and players have also apparently take voluntary pay-cuts which will surely help top up the non-playing staff's wages.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I believe this is what we are doing, isn't it? And it's not the people themselves who have to apply for the funding, it's the businesses, isn't it? That's how I understood it. I don't know if Bournemouth and such are topping up non-playing staff wages the way Boro have said they are but we are going through the same scheme by way of having the government pay for 80% of their wages. And Eddie Howe and players have also apparently take voluntary pay-cuts which will surely help top up the non-playing staff's wages.

Yeah it's the company who does it rather than the individual.