oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

5 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Is there anyone else totally bemused by the behaviour and leadership skills portrayed by Donald Trump?

Bemused, but not surprised. All he's interested in is winning the election, not the health of his electorate. 

Fingers crossed he gets voted out later in the year and we never have to listen to his half sentences and inane ramblings again. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Is there anyone else totally bemused by the behaviour and leadership skills portrayed by Donald Trump?

He's completely out of his depth and pig ignorant. Not as bad as the President of Brazil however

Edited by guineapig
Spelling

Just seeing that there could be restrictions around social distancing till the end of the year.  I wonder what that will mean for football?  I know it's not important in the grand scheme of things but could it send one teams under?  Playing behind closed doors doesn't produce revenue does it.  I wonder if teams could broadcast their games and then charge folk a season ticket price for the privilege of watching the games.  Just a thought...

My faint hope is that we will be able to have structured relaxation of lockdown procedures. It depends how stupid people are. Advice that you can go visit family so long as you try to maintain distancing, reopening other kinds of shops with the addition of social distancing procedures, social distancing being in place does not mean our lives have to remain as they are right now so long as people are sensible. How sensible people are will be another matter entirely and the numbers will dictate whether we have to go back to the way things are as they are right now.

I also hold the hope that later this year, testing might have advanced so far along the population that we might be able to see people who have already beaten the virus start to reconnect with one another. I don't know about anyone else on here but the things that get me down aren't going to the match or the pub but it's the fact that we're shut up in our homes and not even able to see family or friends in private ways.

Got to stick with what the expert advice says but I wonder how far we are from people's breaking point. Hopefully not going to be as bad as some Americans right now, land of the free and all that nonsense.

I think the rules will be relaxed in May/June but then a second wave of the virus will hit us and we'll end up on lockdown again. I was an introvert who would have enjoyed staying at home but not being able to work or see people outside of my house for 2 months has been difficult. It has to be done but I think this is going to be a hell of a long road before life gets back to normal again.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

My faint hope is that we will be able to have structured relaxation of lockdown procedures. It depends how stupid people are. Advice that you can go visit family so long as you try to maintain distancing, reopening other kinds of shops with the addition of social distancing procedures, social distancing being in place does not mean our lives have to remain as they are right now so long as people are sensible. How sensible people are will be another matter entirely and the numbers will dictate whether we have to go back to the way things are as they are right now.

I also hold the hope that later this year, testing might have advanced so far along the population that we might be able to see people who have already beaten the virus start to reconnect with one another. I don't know about anyone else on here but the things that get me down aren't going to the match or the pub but it's the fact that we're shut up in our homes and not even able to see family or friends in private ways.

Got to stick with what the expert advice says but I wonder how far we are from people's breaking point. Hopefully not going to be as bad as some Americans right now, land of the free and all that nonsense.

Yeah I agree with most of that. I'm certainly no expert but I expect restrictions to be relaxed at some point this summer so we can see family members and some shops and businesses can start to reopen. 

I'll be happy with that and mass gatherings such as football and concerts will have to wait. 

Unfortunately I expect another wave to hit late summer/early autumn where we'll probably have to go into lockdown again. The fear of another spike in the winter alongside the usual flu cases will be at the forefront of the government's concerns. Like you say though in 6 months time we'll hopefully be a lot better prepared and knowledgeable to deal with a second wave of the virus. 

Actually getting back to normal life as we know it is going to depend on vaccinations by the sounds of things. We've just got to hope the scientists can make good progress. 

The lockdown was really to allow the NHS to increase their capacity and stop everyone getting sick at the same time. Now the NHS has managed to increase capacity about as much as its going to, I dont see much reason to keep everyone locked down. Better releasing people in the summer than wait until winter when the normal flu will hit again. Unless they're planning on keeping us locked down until a vaccine is found...

Testing would help massively. A couple of companies like Roche have supposedly nearly got an antibody test ready that is very sensitive and accurate. Without test data, we're just fumbling about in the dark.

45 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

The lockdown was really to allow the NHS to increase their capacity and stop everyone getting sick at the same time. Now the NHS has managed to increase capacity about as much as its going to, I dont see much reason to keep everyone locked down. Better releasing people in the summer than wait until winter when the normal flu will hit again. Unless they're planning on keeping us locked down until a vaccine is found...

Testing would help massively. A couple of companies like Roche have supposedly nearly got an antibody test ready that is very sensitive and accurate. Without test data, we're just fumbling about in the dark.

I think it's more likely that we will be out of lockdown but maintaining social distancing for a long time. Looking at things like B&Q today who have re-opened tons of stores, not an essential service to keep us alive but with proper practices in place, there's little reason they should be closed. Increasing the capacity is good but it sounds like protective equipment is still a big issue and unleashing the hell of a rising serious case number onto an unprotected health service is just going to risk an immediate return to full lockdown.

• Like 2

Been reading in the Telegraph how the Lockdown has worked better than the government thought to the extent the population isn't building up immunity. So if the Lockdown is eased they will just be a 2nd peak so I honestly can't see the end until a vaccine.  ☹️😢

1 hour ago, DurhamRed said:

Been reading in the Telegraph how the Lockdown has worked better than the government thought to the extent the population isn't building up immunity. So if the Lockdown is eased they will just be a 2nd peak so I honestly can't see the end until a vaccine.  ☹️😢

We did just have the first entrants into a vaccine trial though, some vicious swings and roundabouts as that could mean if as expected we hit a 2nd peak, the trials will get results quickly. If they're positive then the problem could become more of a case of distribution.

Allow all HEALTHY under 60s back to school and work ( providing they don,t live with anyone with underlying conditions or over 60s ) 

"Statista" for Italy publish much quicker results than uk showing just over 1000 of their 25000+ deaths where to people under 60 , it is widely reported that 90% of All deaths had pre conditions meaning approx. 100 deaths to healthy under 60,s

uk ONS  (office of national statistics )  report 10th april (slow reporting ) approx 9000 out of 10300  deaths over 65 , on TODAYS  figures (18700 ) approx 2000 under 65 deaths ( 90% pre conditions = 200 healthy under 65,s have died,

All covid  deaths are tragic  but surely on these statistics we should concentrate on protecting the NHS  and care workers , lockdown all vulnerable and elderly people till a vaccine is available and get the HEALTHY under 60,s back to work , with regular testing and social distancing and SAVE millions of jobs !! 

12 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think it's more likely that we will be out of lockdown but maintaining social distancing for a long time. Looking at things like B&Q today who have re-opened tons of stores, not an essential service to keep us alive but with proper practices in place, there's little reason they should be closed. Increasing the capacity is good but it sounds like protective equipment is still a big issue and unleashing the hell of a rising serious case number onto an unprotected health service is just going to risk an immediate return to full lockdown.

Am pleased B&Q have opened as I need plants and stuff, however would it be considered an essential journey? Also as stores like this open it will give many an excuse just to go somewhere which will lead to issues with social distancing 

9 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

Not unless you are President Trump who simply believes there will not be a second wave!

Another amazing U turn from him regarding Georgia, jee what a leader!

36 minutes ago, 38Red said:

Trump appears to believe that, if we inject ourselves with Dettol, all will be well.

He  really doesn’t help himself does he 🤦‍♂️