• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

Well I live just outside Middlesbrough council and pay a Redcar council so not effected by the lockdown, yet. Why I don’t know because we seem to switch from one council to another and there’s only a street difference on the boundary. 
I don’t go out often at all but will be out tomorrow afternoon and it may be the last for a while as I think lockdown is just round the corner. I blame the next street who live in Middlesbrough. 
Ill upset a few but I don’t support Labour policy, we shop in Tesco, well the wife does and sometimes in M&S (discount my sister works there). I don’t wear tracky bottoms or training shoes and I don’t swear every second word.. well not in M&S.. 😀

• Like 1

I think this pandemic is highlighting the nonsensical nature of some of our county and council boundaries. It is ridiculous to have situations where restrictions can apply on one street, but not the adjacent one.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate, living in Cambridgeshire...though according to the NHS track & trace app I am in a medium risk area.

Most people I see out and about are wearing masks and comply with social distancing where physically possible. My local Sainsburys does a nice range in craft beers and ales, as well as some very decent IPA "selection boxes" which I like to grab now and again. A shiny new M&S opened up quite close to it when they redeveloped the town centre, but shopping there is noticeably more expensive.

Still its worrying that daily positive test figures are now double what they were at the height of the first wave...even allowing for much higher levels of testing. Hospital admissions and deaths also creeping up to where they were about 3 months ago.

Although living in a Conservative stronghold and being a Tory voter, I wouldn't agree the government has done the stellar job it likes to make out. BJ's over-optimistic, tub-thumping speeches don't really help either...raising expectations, instead of managing them.

That said, I don't believe any government would have done much better. This has been one of those situations where people have had to learn as they go...and when you're in that kind of situation, you can always look back and say they could have done this or that better.

I'd also say the public (at least certain sections) haven't helped either by ignoring lockdown & social distancing rules. Heard a few idiots on the radio proudly proclaiming they will never wear a mask or get vaccinated...because they don't trust the government. 🤦‍♂️ 

Even Matt Forde (comedian and staunch Labour supporter, who does some of the voices on Spitting Image)  was on 5 Live's Adrian Chiles show yesterday, saying the people have a responsibility to do their bit to combat Covid. Sadly, too many haven't been...

• Like 1

There have been failings across all echelons of society this year, from top to bottom. But I had hoped after the catastrophic damage the first lockdown did (to the economy, mental health and children's welfare in particular) that our elected leaders would try to strike a better balance between protecting the most vulnerable members of society against a virulent pandemic on the one hand, and the incalculable health, social, educational, economic and cultural damage being wrought by lockdowns on the other.

People will be dying prematurely for years - decades - from diseases not diagnosed or treated early enough, while hospital wards have stood empty for most of the year in case there's a resurgence of ICU cases, and four million people are now waiting for treatment on a list that lengthens by the day. The mental health ramifications of these lockdowns alone are too enormous to conceive, and yet all the politicians ever talk about is the R number. History won't judge them favourably.

• Like 2
On 10/8/2020 at 9:59 PM, sanddancer said:

Well I live just outside Middlesbrough council and pay a Redcar council so not effected by the lockdown, yet. Why I don’t know because we seem to switch from one council to another and there’s only a street difference on the boundary. 
I don’t go out often at all but will be out tomorrow afternoon and it may be the last for a while as I think lockdown is just round the corner. I blame the next street who live in Middlesbrough. 
Ill upset a few but I don’t support Labour policy, we shop in Tesco, well the wife does and sometimes in M&S (discount my sister works there). I don’t wear tracky bottoms or training shoes and I don’t swear every second word.. well not in M&S.. 😀

I did go out yesterday up to my local pub and got stoped for not wearing a mask. Honestly I had no idea it was Halloween. OK I admit it was my mistake but I didn’t know the rules had changed over the last two weeks. The rule was as follows. Wear a mask on entering the pub. Sit at a table. Remove the mask. Staff come to the table take and bring your order wearing masks. They don’t wear gloves which thought would be appropriate. If you go outside for a cig or go to the bathroom wear a mask which makes it pretty hard for people snorting in there. 
Its a strange world we live in... 

Personal opinion is that gloves and especially masks provided next to no real protection at all and as a physical counter measure are worse that useless

However I’m a big fan of them as they provide a very big reminder that there is a pandemic going on and the fact that people wear masks it alters people’s behaviour and helps with the real counter measures like hand washing and distancing 

4 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Personal opinion is that gloves and especially masks provided next to no real protection at all and as a physical counter measure are worse that useless

However I’m a big fan of them as they provide a very big reminder that there is a pandemic going on and the fact that people wear masks it alters people’s behaviour and helps with the real counter measures like hand washing and distancing 

I believe a mask is not worn as self protection but to limit the distance a person with infection can propel the virus. 

57 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I believe a mask is not worn as self protection but to limit the distance a person with infection can propel the virus. 

Yes the idea of wearing a mask is to protect others. It’s amazing how many people can’t get their heads around this. 

Wear a mask and save others. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Uwe said:

I agree about gloves (unless they are changed regularly and people don't touch their face etc with them on), however there's been plenty of research done into masks. As others have said they protect others, but here's a meta analysis that suggests that wearing a (non-n95) mask can reduce your chances of infection by about 67% (whereas with an n95 mask it's about 96% reduction in infection). 

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

17 hours ago, sanddancer said:

Nice easy trick to show people that can't grasp that concept, hold a lighter at arms reach out in front of you and blow the flame out. Then repeat it with a mask on, and the flame won't go out.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So as the country is poised to enter a second nation wide lockdown I just wanted to know how people are feeling about it. 
The government could’ve done things differently in terms of a circuit breaker but decided to go with regional lockdown in the higher risk regions. 
Personally I think this was the wrong choice. But the wider public need to take responsibility. The majority of people have done the right thing but the size of the minority is still off a size that caused real issues. 
Hope everyone is safe and prepared for the next month and we come out of this the other side in a much better place