oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah, that's fair. A quick and hard reaction to it could have helped. There are of course arguments that the virus has been in our country before even the first reported cases, I know my Stepdad and my Granddad had pretty bad illnesses towards the end of last year/early this year before we had the first confirmed case here so who knows but the evidence was pretty clear at the point we locked down that we should have done it sooner.

Yeah I'm 100% onboard with the idea that, it has been in the Country a lot longer than first thought. The Guardian and the BBC both have some good articles on suspected cases in early Jan (I'll try and find the links). 

There was a nasty illness that went round our office over December/January time that went straight to everyone's chest. At first I thought it could have been a flu of some sort, but I caught too, which I thought was odd as I get vaccinated every year for the flu. It isn't unusual for that the happen, but it knocked me for 6 for about 2 weeks. The timeline does fit and in early January we were largely unaware.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Will said:

I haven't been in this thread much as reading pretty much anything about the whole situation just depresses me.

I decided to pop in to urge everyone who isn't already to start taking some kind of vitamin D supplement. Two reasons, we are coming into darker winter months where not many of us at all will be getting enough sunlight, made even worse by working from home whilst in lockdown. Vitamin D is what our skin makes when in direct sunlight, it helps with the immune system and the nervous system, low vitamin D levels can contribute to feelings of fatigue, pain and depression. That alone was reason enough for me to start taking Vitamin D well over 5 years ago. The second reason is that clinical studies have shown that Vitamin D reduces your likelihood of dying to the virus by over 25%.

If anyone does want to start taking them, I'd recommend these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitamin-3000iu-Supplements-Strength-Vitamin-Cholecalciferol/dp/B00RXIIW7K/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=vitamin+d&qid=1604420960&sr=8-7

You'll notice they are way above the RDA, this is because the RDA is ridiculously low and taking them at that level produces no positive effect according to studies that have been carried out. Feel free to ask me any questions about it in here or via PM

Completely agree. I found out just before the first lockdown that I had a decent vitamin D deficiency via a thriva test (32nmol/L). I've been taking D supplements throughout the last 6 months and got my family on them too. 

I recommend following Dr John Campbell's YouTube channel. His videos on the pandemic and vitamin D have been great. He looks through the latest research papers and reviews/summarises them. So much better than listening to all the brand new immunologist that have popped up on Facebook!

12 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

So much better than listening to all the brand new immunologist that have popped up on Facebook!

Speaking of Facebook have you seen the "immunologists" changing professions to "Lawyers"? There are people that believe you can flaunt the COVID rules if you cite Article 61 of the Magna Carta. 

Unfortunately what they don't realise is that article 61 (and much of the Magna Carta) only relates to the original Baron's that rebelled against the King.

😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the snap of a finger the Danish government has ordered that all mink in Denmark shall be put down and burned. We have more than 1100 farms and is the worlds leading breader and manufacturer of mink fur. They have found mutations of the virus and just be sure that it doesn't develop any further they are just going to exterminate all. Only 67 farms have so far had sick animals. It's a huge blow to the entire industry and the industries that supply them. The industry will most likely not survive this and could close completely as a result. So get yourself a mink coat. It will be in short supply shortly and prices will soar 🙂 

Just goes to show how devastating an effect the virus has had. Thousands will be left without jobs and the farmers will be left with worthless property in rural areas that no one will want to buy. It's going to cost an obscene amount of money to compensate them.

• Wow 2

It'll be decades before we've fully paid the price of our governments' panicked, ill-considered and disproportionate reactions to Covid. The mink situation is atrocious, but it's not unique in politicians using an anvil to crack a nut.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:15 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

Speaking of Facebook have you seen the "immunologists" changing professions to "Lawyers"? There are people that believe you can flaunt the COVID rules if you cite Article 61 of the Magna Carta. 

Unfortunately what they don't realise is that article 61 (and much of the Magna Carta) only relates to the original Baron's that rebelled against the King.

😂😂😂

This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about earlier, re social media and misinformation - whether genuine ignorance or deliberate. 🙄

@Borodane That is shocking. Strikes me as a totally OTT reaction. If the mink industry is such a major part of the Danish economy, surely it is also well regulated and monitored? I'd have thought they'd simply cull or quarantine the affected farms?

In the UK we still have outbreaks of bird flu at poultry farms, but we don't exterminate every single one. Even during the BSE ("Mad Cow") crisis we didn't kill every single animal...although in some cases entire herds were killed and burned.

23 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

It'll be decades before we've fully paid the price of our governments' panicked, ill-considered and disproportionate reactions to Covid. The mink situation is atrocious, but it's not unique in politicians using an anvil to crack a nut.

Rather harsh I think.

I don't think the government's decisions have been anything of the sort. They've at least listened to the best scientific and medical advice available from SAGE - even if they haven't always followed it. But you can listen to a range of different experts and get differing opinions.

They've then weighed that against the potential economic damage any measures might cause.

Also don't forget they've had their hand forced to a large extent by too many people refusing to follow the guidance when they tried more lenient measures.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

With the snap of a finger the Danish government has ordered that all mink in Denmark shall be put down and burned. We have more than 1100 farms and is the worlds leading breader and manufacturer of mink fur. They have found mutations of the virus and just be sure that it doesn't develop any further they are just going to exterminate all. Only 67 farms have so far had sick animals. It's a huge blow to the entire industry and the industries that supply them. The industry will most likely not survive this and could close completely as a result. So get yourself a mink coat. It will be in short supply shortly and prices will soar 🙂 

Just goes to show how devastating an effect the virus has had. Thousands will be left without jobs and the farmers will be left with worthless property in rural areas that no one will want to buy. It's going to cost an obscene amount of money to compensate them.

And that's a bad thing because....?

11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

And that's a bad thing because....?

Why is it a good thing....?

Thousands of jobs, big contribution to the economy etc. The mink industry in Denmark is one the best regulated in the world with regular health checks etc. There is a reason why the Danish mink is head and shoulders above anyone else in the world in terms of quality. Sickness etc. are down to a very minimum. You don't get money for a dead mink or damaged fur, so the farmers actually take care of their animals. It's a hell of a lot better than what you see in China etc.

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Also don't forget they've had their hand forced to a large extent by too many people refusing to follow the guidance when they tried more lenient measures.

The government makes decisions to open things up and encourage people to go back into areas which will cause the virus to spread easier and you still blame the people for that happening. Absolutely baffles me. How many transitions do you think have been caused by people not following rules vs. those following them? Do you really think it's more the former than the latter?

3 hours ago, Borodane said:

In 2018 it was suggested in the government, that all mink farms should be shut down within a five year period.

I can send you the document if you want to see it.

It's sick

They are using the pandemic to close all farms here and now I stead of in the next few years.

50 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

In 2018 it was suggested in the government, that all mink farms should be shut down within a five year period.

I can send you the document if you want to see it.

It's sick

They are using the pandemic to close all farms here and now I stead of in the next few years.

That was suggested by a far left party that has zero economic considerations. 

46 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That was suggested by a far left party that has zero economic considerations. 

Sounds like the sort of thing a Green / environmental party would do...where the "fur is murder" types tend to congregate.