oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

26 minutes ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Media hype!!!

Everyone should research the virus.  For most people under 60 it'll be like the common flu.  We lived through sars, swine flu etc. Years ago so don't flap.  The one big thing that wasn't around last time was social media.  Smart phones, YouTube, WhatsApp etc.

Hysteria caused by the media..

Well as long as it's only the over 60s that will die!

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Well as long as it's only the over 60s that will die!

Apparently the virus has a 15% mortality rate for people over 80, drops to 8% for people between 70 and 79, and 4% for people between 60 and 69.  For people under 50 the mortality rate is 0.4 percent. 

Pre-existing medical conditions like cardiovascular disease and diabetes also increase the mortality rate to 10.5% and 7.3% respectively.

I think what boro_fan_in_brum is saying, is that it's hardly the Black Death version II, but you wouldn't know that from the way the media are going on.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Thanks Will on behalf of a few of us on here I do not support your post:classic_wacko:

😂

I was trying to make the point that just because it will probably only seriously effect over 60s doesn't make it any less of a public health risk. I am worried about getting it because of the potential of passing it on to my elderly relatives. The fact I'd be relatively unaffected by it is in no way a source of comfort for me.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Media hype!!!

Everyone should research the virus.  For most people under 60 it'll be like the common flu.  We lived through sars, swine flu etc. Years ago so don't flap.  The one big thing that wasn't around last time was social media.  Smart phones, YouTube, WhatsApp etc.

Hysteria caused by the media..

Billy is old, like really old 😬

• Haha 2

Do your research..  

It's passed via touch and people sneezing all over you.  It is not airborne.n wash hands and cover your mouth if you sneeze.  

I'm not saying balls to all over 60's.  My point is that the vast majority of people believe what is put on the internet.  Huge recession incoming due to the hype caused by the media.  It's a joke.

It's the way the world is now.  Panic!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, smoggyindonny said:

Apparently the virus has a 15% mortality rate for people over 80, drops to 8% for people between 70 and 79, and 4% for people between 60 and 69.  For people under 50 the mortality rate is 0.4 percent. 

Pre-existing medical conditions like cardiovascular disease and diabetes also increase the mortality rate to 10.5% and 7.3% respectively.

I think what boro_fan_in_brum is saying, is that it's hardly the Black Death version II, but you wouldn't know that from the way the media are going on.

Exactly.  Just the media hyping it up!!!

Sorry, I get so vexed about the way that stuff is just chucked out there and we all follow like sheep.  I mean yeah it's not great and all that but the supermarkets have sold out of hand gel.  The failure is the person that has just sneezed all over your carrots and veg.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Sorry, I get so vexed about the way that stuff is just chucked out there and we all follow like sheep.  I mean yeah it's not great and all that but the supermarkets have sold out of hand gel.  The failure is the person that has just sneezed all over your carrots and veg.  

The papers love a crisis and yes, they create hysteria rather than reasoned response. Just look at the Express the other day, after realising that every paper is undoubtedly selling more due to one thing, they went ahead and pushed a piece on an asteroid that would probably destroy all human life if it crashes into the Earth to create even more hysteria. A small piece at the bottom of the article confirmed that the asteroid in question, at closest, will be approximately 10 times the distance away from us as the Moon.

But we should still talk about it. There are still people who could be affected by it and being blase and pinning all the worry on hysteria is also unhelpful. We can discuss and respond to the issue seriously, we can and should make short-term changes to public life in order to try and avoid this becoming a significant issue for people and families. It's not just elderly, it's people with underlying health issues of all ages. People who are vulnerable to this exist on this forum and we shouldn't dismiss this issue just because they might not be us individually.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I bet Gibson is rubbing his hands together just thinking about another potential opportunity to sue someone!

I hope he doesn't give himself the virus though 🤔

If he uses a good soap whilst he’s doing it, he’ll be fine.