oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

On 3/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, Changing Times said:

I don't have any fears about Huawei or Chinese manufacturers stealing my job.  I'm also not currently in a state of fear and panic, well maybe a bit about Boro I suppose.  That doesn't mean however that I would treat this virus as if it's nothing.  The article is pretty dumb really especially when it puts forward the stats to make it seem like it's no big deal.  It obviously hasn't occurred to the journalist that the current figures for those with the virus and those who have died from the virus has coincided with all of the measures being taken globally to stop or slow it down.  In other words, if nobody was bothered enough about it to do anything then both figures would be much higher and continuing to climb around the world.  You know like shutting down entire cities, massively reducing travel between certain countries, closing schools and so on.  But if some daft get writing for a magazine plays it down then I'll just ignore the various scientists and medical types cos they know bugger all, obviously.

Thats not what the fears were about. It was about having Chinese equipment in our 5G and other sensitive communications systems, which could potentially be hacked / disabled by their state / military intelligence organisations.

Not unlike how the US damaged an Iranian uranium enrichment facility, using the Stuxnet worm, which disabled the factory's SCADA (data control) systems. Probably why the Americans are so against us using Huawei...they know what can be done with cyber attacks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

21 hours ago, BoroJake said:

I reckon we’ll start seeing games cancelled here late March or early April. Things are starting to look bad in France and Germany now, we’ll probably see games being cancelled over there soon

We'll have to see the outcome of the government COBRA meeting. Closing schools, cancelling sporting events etc. will be discussed, but I don't think things are that bad yet.

If it is that late in the season (and assuming the spread does continue), we might see the last few games played behind closed doors, at worst. I don't see games being cancelled this late on.

"Remember that flu that was going round before Christmas that was completely wiping everyone out energy wise?

I'm just saying, what if COVID-19 wasn't started in China, but that's just where it was first recognised?"

Seen someone suggesting this on facebook. Not saying its correct but I was absolutely wiped out by the flu this winter, moreso than when I normally get it

Animated GIF

The Chinese I believe kept this quiet for much longer than they should have done and there would have been far more movement in and out of the country.

We will never know I suppose I know that I got the Australian Flu a couple of years ago and that knocked me for six.

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats not what the fears were about. It was about having Chinese equipment in our 5G and other sensitive communications systems, which could potentially be hacked / disabled by their state / military intelligence organisations.

Not unlike how the US damaged an Iranian uranium enrichment facility, using the Stuxnet worm, which disabled the factory's SCADA (data control) systems. Probably why the Americans are so against us using Huawei...they know what can be done with cyber attacks.

I know what the fears were about mate, I'm just not bothered about it all.

2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

We'll have to see the outcome of the government COBRA meeting. Closing schools, cancelling sporting events etc. will be discussed, but I don't think things are that bad yet.

If it is that late in the season (and assuming the spread does continue), we might see the last few games played behind closed doors, at worst. I don't see games being cancelled this late on.

Oh yeah I meant behind closed doors. No chance they will cancel them

Scientists reckon Coronavirus won't peak til the summer, so what's the point of playing games behind closed doors for the rest of March? By the time April rolls round, there'll probably be more cases in Europe than there are now, which would surely be a more fitting time to clamp down on public gatherings. The idea that in a month's time Ligue 1 will be welcoming fans back into the grounds doesn't seem to match the predictions that this will continue for a while yet.

Either way, I don't like the hysteria surrounding COVID-19. Panic-buying bog rolls, fighting with people who cough on the train, cancelling book festivals, predictions of 40,000 deaths in Scotland alone... it all seems a bit excessive. And I say that as an asthmatic, with a parent who has bronchiectasis.

This is a quite illuminating article in the New York Post, for anyone who's interested:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Scientists reckon Coronavirus won't peak til the summer, so what's the point of playing games behind closed doors for the rest of March? By the time April rolls round, there'll probably be more cases in Europe than there are now, which would surely be a more fitting time to clamp down on public gatherings. The idea that in a month's time Ligue 1 will be welcoming fans back into the grounds doesn't seem to match the predictions that this will continue for a while yet.

Either way, I don't like the hysteria surrounding COVID-19. Panic-buying bog rolls, fighting with people who cough on the train, cancelling book festivals, predictions of 40,000 deaths in Scotland alone... it all seems a bit excessive. And I say that as an asthmatic, with a parent who has bronchiectasis.

This is a quite illuminating article in the New York Post, for anyone who's interested:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

Agreed that the toilet-roll buying and fighting etc is silly and helps nobody. With respect though... the NY Post is not the most reputable news source and the author likely knows next to zero about epidemiology. 

If the experts in public health policy say to play matches behind closed doors, then that's what we should do. The slower it spreads, the easier it'll be for the NHS.

Just now, SouthernSmoggie said:

Agreed that the toilet-roll buying and fighting etc is silly and helps nobody. With respect though... the NY Post is not the most reputable news source and the author likely knows next to zero about epidemiology. 

If the experts in public health policy say to play matches behind closed doors, then that's what we should do. The slower it spreads, the easier it'll be for the NHS.

I agree the NY Post isn't the NY Times, but it's true that these outbreaks tend to follow a bell-jar life cycle, and nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. There's almost an acceptance in some quarters that COVID-19 is going to spread across the planet and affect everyone, when it simply won't.

The author certainly doesn't claim to be an epidemiologist, though he is a lawyer, and his research seems pretty sound. Either way, it's an interesting counterpoint to the more negative coverage I've seen recently.

29 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I agree the NY Post isn't the NY Times, but it's true that these outbreaks tend to follow a bell-jar life cycle, and nobody seems to want to acknowledge that. There's almost an acceptance in some quarters that COVID-19 is going to spread across the planet and affect everyone, when it simply won't.

The author certainly doesn't claim to be an epidemiologist, though he is a lawyer, and his research seems pretty sound. Either way, it's an interesting counterpoint to the more negative coverage I've seen recently.

I certainly hope the more optimistic projections are true as well. Would be gutted if the Euros didn't go ahead. 

5 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Did a scouser run off with your missus? You seem to have an irrational hatred of Liverpool or are you a closet Man U fan? Let them have the league title for goodness sake. 

Haha I'm not that lucky!! Are you a plastic scouser per chance? 😂

Seriously though. Leagues need to be abandoned unless there is something written in the rules to cover this current situation. It was abandoned in 1939 and public safety is more important than games of football.

No way will teams accept relegation or non promotion if the season is finished early with current league placings standing. It's a ludicrous suggestion. Some teams may have played much harder fixtures than other teams.

The only viable solution seems to be finish the season with no supporters at gamea but every team in the football league will need compensating from somewhere because clubs will go bust because of it.

5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Well in Italy I think they actually have a reason to panic now.

Still - 16m people - basically the whole of northern Italy in virtual lockdown now.

Thats when you know *** has got serious.

For now, I don't think we have anything to panic about. But it seems we're still not being too clever about the basics, despite the repeated advice to wash your hands & catch your coughs / sneezes etc. in tissues. 🙄

Do you seriously expect the situation in Italy not to mirror itself in this country? We may not see the effects as bad as there but it won't be far off. 

2 weeks or so and we will be in the same situation. 

22 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Haha I'm not that lucky!! Are you a plastic scouser per chance? 😂

Seriously though. Leagues need to be abandoned unless there is something written in the rules to cover this current situation. It was abandoned in 1939 and public safety is more important than games of football.

No way will teams accept relegation or non promotion if the season is finished early with current league placings standing. It's a ludicrous suggestion. Some teams may have played much harder fixtures than other teams.

The only viable solution seems to be finish the season with no supporters at gamea but every team in the football league will need compensating from somewhere because clubs will go bust because of it.

They had only played 3 league games in 1939, it’s s totally different scenario. 
Liverpool could be league champions by next weekend, I can’t see them having the title taken away from them by the premier league authorities, can you?

24 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Do you seriously expect the situation in Italy not to mirror itself in this country? We may not see the effects as bad as there but it won't be far off. 

2 weeks or so and we will be in the same situation. 

I'll quite happily wager we won't.

In Italy there have already been over 7,000 infections and 360 deaths.

The UK isn't anywhere NEAR that level. Still only around 300 infections and just THREE deaths, so far.

You're completely over-reacting to this.

• Like 4