oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

How does quarantining an entire country work on a practical level? Taking imports alone, are lorry drivers unable to enter or leave the country? If so, how will they keep the supermarket shelves full, bring in medicines and source raw materials for manufacturing, to name but three examples?

Man cannot live by bread and olives alone, to misquote the good book...

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

On 3/6/2020 at 10:08 AM, OzzyPorter said:

Morning all, an interesting article I read online about the danger that COVID-19 could pose to smaller clubs. It is looking very very likely that this virus is going to spread rapidly and with that danger comes the very real possibility of the government announcing plans to limit social interaction. As seen in other countries, one of the ways to do that would be to play all sports events behind closed doors. The problem for smaller clubs is that they will still be responsible for the majority of match day costs but will not receive any gate receipts. For many clubs this would be a financial disaster and could force a few to go the same way as Bury.

So what is the answer? I think the only way to ensure the future of league clubs is to cancel the season and write it off. All promotions and relegation's forfeited and obviously no winners of the respective leagues.

I would support that and in addition to banishing our own relegation fears it would also be amusing to watch the reaction of Leeds and Liverpool fans!

Yep agree with that, sounds a good sensible reason TBH, it is a concern to the smaller clubs if the virus does escalate & they have to play behind closed doors

9 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

How does quarantining an entire country work on a practical level? Taking imports alone, are lorry drivers unable to enter or leave the country? If so, how will they keep the supermarket shelves full, bring in medicines and source raw materials for manufacturing, to name but three examples?

I think they're basically saying no public gatherings and no travel unless it's for work or family emergencies. Some industries will obviously thrive on public gatherings, not just sport but also the nightlife which the Italian PM mentioned in his address. So it will affect things but I expect they'll make cases to allow things to remain as stocked as possible so that the necessities are still available.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

It’s not going to be forever. I don’t think anyone will be allowed in or out of the country. There will be enough food in the country for a couple of weeks I’m sure. Manufacturing will suffer short term but I’m sure emergency medicines and foodstuffs could be parachuted in just like in war times.

if they had taken this action weeks ago there might not be any issue in the rest of Europe at all.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I know how viruses spread. I've learned more than I ever wanted to over the last couple of months, ever since the outbreak in China was announced.

But there is no way we are going to reach Italy levels of infections (20 times higher) & deaths (over 100 times higher) in the space of a couple of weeks.

Look at it this way - the first UK cases were announced at the end of January. Its been over a month and is still a long way off reaching anything like the levels in Italy.

Italy had around the same numbers that the UK currently does 2 weeks ago. Its very likely that this country will be in the exact same position in 2/3 weeks. Infact I would say its likely to be worse considering the UK  government has put next to nothing in place to stop this from spreading.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

It’s not going to be forever. I don’t think anyone will be allowed in or out of the country. There will be enough food in the country for a couple of weeks I’m sure. Manufacturing will suffer short term but I’m sure emergency medicines and foodstuffs could be parachuted in just like in war times.

if they had taken this action weeks ago there might not be any issue in the rest of Europe at all.

It's not locked down in that sense.  You can still travel to and from Italy although you'll have to have very good reasons for doing so.  They are asking people to stay home and only travel within the country for work and important family reasons.  They will still be getting cargo flights in all of the time delivering goods.  It won't be long before similar things are happening here in terms of schools being closed and people being asked to stay at home unless you're going to work.  Anyone with any symptoms will be told to stay at home without even being tested.  Within a week I'd bet.

• Thanks 1

Interesting to hear about Italy. Here in Canada they have blocked media from dressing rooms after NHL hockey games and also a Woman's International hockey tournament cancelled. 

We certainly havent had the amount of cases as Europe has but there's lots of talk about playing infront of empty arenas.

Argh even my daughters local gymnastics show has been cancelled. Now I won’t get to sit in and wait 5 hours for her team to do a 5 minute show that I have seen multiple times already in training. 

• Haha 4

I wonder if it has been worse in Italy because of the way people greet one another? I've worked for an Italian company and men greet each other with a hug and often a kiss on the cheek. People in general have a lot more physical contact than Northern Europeans. This is also true in Iran where it has spread very fast. We are far less 'touchy' in the UK. Just a thought!

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I wonder if it has been worse in Italy because of the way people greet one another? I've worked for an Italian company and men greet each other with a hug and often a kiss on the cheek. People in general have a lot more physical contact than Northern Europeans. This is also true in Iran where it has spread very fast. We are far less 'touchy' in the UK. Just a thought!

This only reinforces my stance on that men should only greet each other with a knowing nod. Can’t stand this Bro-Hug culture that’s crept in just because you haven’t seen your BFF for about 20mins 😡

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Well they can restrict all non-essential travel.

Food and medical supplies I imagine would still have to be allowed...maybe going through washing stations, like they had set up for the foot and mouth outbreak. Emergency services would also continue.

I suppose the point is having some measure of control over who travels where and being able to take the necessary precautions, to try and ensure the virus doesn't spread any further.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Fair point - but I think, like China, they were also just slow to react. Think there has also been a lot more travel to and from the country (lets face it, Italy is a nicer holiday destination!).

I think (hope) in the UK we've had the benefit of seeing what's happened on the continent and had time to put plans into action.

Things are still expected to get worse before they get better, but "peak virus" should hopefully be a lot lower than it is over there currently.

3 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Has anyone's private pensions been hit at all? I seemed to lose £100 in a matter of two days

Well depending on who your pension provider is and where they invest your money, will determine if you lose out and by how much.

Martin Lewis (the money-saving expert guy) was on the radio yesterday, saying that since pensions are long-term investments, things will very likely return to normal, long before you start claiming. Unless you're going to retire imminently...or want to take out a lump sum early.

11 hours ago, jamesp said:

Italy had around the same numbers that the UK currently does 2 weeks ago. Its very likely that this country will be in the exact same position in 2/3 weeks. Infact I would say its likely to be worse considering the UK  government has put next to nothing in place to stop this from spreading.

What exactly would you propose they do?

The only way to physically prevent the spread is to lock down the entire country - prevent any and all travel and all public gatherings. The country would grind to a halt. No transport. No public services. Food shortages would quickly ensue.

Fact is, movement of people is necessary for a country to function.

Also, the vast majority of people who DO contract coronavirus WILL make full recoveries, suffering nothing more than flu-like symptoms.

Last but not least, the first UK case was diagnosed over a month ago and we're still nowhere near the levels in Italy. Yes, the number of cases will very likely continue to rise over the next 2-3 weeks, but even so, they'll still be far lower...even if they triple or quadruple.

• Like 1