oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

The Danish government is looking into the possibility of compensation football clubs and other events for having to play behind closed doors. Obviously it won't be for the entire ticket sales alone but around the profit clubs should make on a matchday when costs are taken out. It's obviously not free to run a matchday so I'd imagine the final proposal will look and the costs and income on a matchday.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

In all seriousness, I had a fever, a cough and a muzzy head for a couple of days last week. I live in a county with reported cases of COVID-19. Did I have it? If I did, I certainly haven't tested myself or contributed to the statistics. I felt fine 48 hours later, and nobody I know has come down with it, including my mum who has bronchiectasis.

Given it can take up to two weeks for an infection to become symptomatic, you may want to keep an eye on your mum anyway, if you saw her at any time whilst you were ill.

As to flu vs COVID19, flu has a mortality rate of approximately 0.1% for your stated 650,000 deaths. 

If COVID19 comes out at 1% (and that's a figure that's widely considered likely) that's substantially higher. 

It's also way harder to prevent infections given there is no jab for it, so the base figure of infections could come out higher than flu as well. 

This is why self-isolation is a thing, and not for flu, because the high risk groups (elderly, immuno comprimised, etc) cannot protect themselves from people spreading COVID19 like they can with flu.  It's not about you or I (assuming basic healthiness), it's about the population at large.

Edited by macapes
  • Like 3

Just seen a report on SSN hinting at the season being finished behind closed doors and that the bigger clubs will have to support lower league clubs financially and show some solidarity. I think we will get this weekend in with supporters in attendance and that will be the end of it.

1 hour ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

No need to worry in our country.  Government have been very savvy and sensible in their approach to the virus.  I have 4 kids all in the same school and we had a note from the local council yesterday detailing that it's not airborne, you need to be within 2m of an infected person for around 15 mins.  It's just the media going to town on this, my concern is for an age group that might have issues with the virus.  The majority of youth and young adults will more than likely be ok.  My kids have been given a little brief of what to do, cough sneeze into your sleeve or a tissue and bin it.  Wash hands before eating and after the loo, and just be careful.  It's going to peak around early may they reckon.  Large gatherings should be looked at and if so sporting events should be cancelled.  Get yourself a cup of tea and just see how it goes, I lived through hand foot and mouth, Sars, swine flu..  difference is now you have the fact that every person has a phone and is a reporter.  

Happy Wednesday folks!  Stay clean

Thats all well and good and there is nothing new in what you say. This was the advice given out a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps all those people in Italy just like shaking hands and hugging a lot!

Anyway, sporting events will be either called off or played behind closed doors very soon. Schools will be shut within 2 weeks also I would imagine.

Common sense and vigilance is the best approach. 

22 minutes ago, macapes said:

Given it can take up to two weeks for an infection to become symptomatic, you may want to keep an eye on your mum anyway, if you saw her at any time whilst you were ill.

As to flu vs COVID19, flu has a mortality rate of approximately 0.1% for your stated 650,000 deaths. 

If COVID19 comes out at 1% (and that's a figure that's widely considered likely) that's substantially higher. 

It's also way harder to prevent infections given there is no jab for it, so the base figure of infections could come out higher than flu as well. 

This is why self-isolation is a thing, and not for flu, because the high risk groups (elderly, immuno comprimised, etc) cannot protect themselves from people spreading COVID19 like they can with flu.  It's not about you or I (assuming basic healthiness), it's about the population at large.

Very sensible post. We live in a society that thinks only about their own interests. Its this attitude which will spread this virus further than it should do.

Italy has had 1000 new cases a day for the past 3 days.

Edited by OzzyPorter
32 minutes ago, Borodane said:

The Danish government is looking into the possibility of compensation football clubs and other events for having to play behind closed doors. Obviously it won't be for the entire ticket sales alone but around the profit clubs should make on a matchday when costs are taken out. It's obviously not free to run a matchday so I'd imagine the final proposal will look and the costs and income on a matchday.

SSN have just reported that something similar will be proposed in England but with PL clubs also sharing the burden. This tells me that games behind closed doors are not too far away.

Well Man City/Arsenal has been called off, and you'd imagine Nottingham Forest's games will be too. 

Playing the rest of the season's games behind closed doors isn't the answer, and I'm guessing Euro 2020 will be called off, too.

It's ridiculous really how people are overreacting.

Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Well Man City/Arsenal has been called off, and you'd imagine Nottingham Forest's games will be too. 

Playing the rest of the season's games behind closed doors isn't the answer, and I'm guessing Euro 2020 will be called off, too.

I'm not so sure its ridiculous. I'd say it is cautious. Nothing wrong with that until we know the severity of this situation. Whats a game of football compared to people dying? 

11 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Thats all well and good and there is nothing new in what you say. This was the advice given out a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps all those people in Italy just like shaking hands and hugging a lot!

Anyway, sporting events will be either called off or played behind closed doors very soon. Schools will be shut within 2 weeks also I would imagine.

Yeh, they do. Their entire culture is far more tactile and touchy feely than ours. It's absolutely no surprise to me that the virus has spread like wildfire there.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I am hoping it has died down by then, I have tickets and a holiday in Budapest booked!

I think our government will be looking at what has happened in italy with regards to how quickly it has spread and why there is a higher mortality rate there compared to, for example China and South Korea. They will look at how the Italian government reacted to it and assess whether mistakes were made.

In many ways, and its a horrible thing to say, we are lucky in this country that we have the chance to assess what has happened in another country and tailor our own response to those findings. 

Italy seemed to get to about the same stage we are at now before it escalated dramatically. They are now confirming over 1000 cases a day there. Hopefully we have learnt a few important points from their situation and we can control it more successfully. If Italy is just a one off and we don't see the same infection/death figures in other countries then Euro 2020 may go ahead but its really not that important in the grand scheme of things. 

I reckon it will all be over by Euro 2020. I reckon it will peak here early May. Countries will have to lock themselves down like Italy which will reduce transmission dramatically. I do think the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors though. I reckon this weekend will be the last game without closed doors

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Yep nothing new in what I say but that's because there is no need to keep bleating on about this bloody subject.  I'm all for talk, I love the debate but this 'bad flu' is just getting boring now.  Yes it's awful for folk that are dying (6 in our country) and for folk that are effected but it all needs to calm down.  I'm no Tory but the government have been brilliant with this, no rash silly decisions and just taking it as it comes.  Unfortunately the media like to have a story to publish.  

16 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

I reckon it will all be over by Euro 2020. I reckon it will peak here early May. Countries will have to lock themselves down like Italy which will reduce transmission dramatically. I do think the rest of the season will be played behind closed doors though. I reckon this weekend will be the last game without closed doors

They do reckon that it will peak by May.  Then everyone can say 'what was all the panic about?'. Look at how many people die of flu worldwide each year...  I'm no data analyst but it's 665,000 and so far 4000 deaths have happened because of Corona.  

All we need to do is be sensible and stay clean, look after the vunerable.  Simple

2 minutes ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

Yep nothing new in what I say but that's because there is no need to keep bleating on about this bloody subject.  I'm all for talk, I love the debate but this 'bad flu' is just getting boring now.  Yes it's awful for folk that are dying (6 in our country) and for folk that are effected but it all needs to calm down.  I'm no Tory but the government have been brilliant with this, no rash silly decisions and just taking it as it comes.  Unfortunately the media like to have a story to publish.  

I disagree. People need to be kept up to date and communication is key to this. The more info out there for people at risk the better it is. I'd rather you be bored if it helps saves lives to be honest.