oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

I’ve edited the title to make it more relevant to how the threads evolved. 

A question I have is, If the virus isn’t contained and actually started receding in the next couple of months. How the hell is the summer transfer market going to be affected? 

Man City will indeed want to spend big to close the gap on Liverpool, where will it pool it’s targets from? 

Will they start looking more at African players (although Africa’s top talent already plays in Europe) or South America 

Will we see a surge on home based players moving. Potentially driving up prices for average players 

How will the lower leagues fair who rely on spotting potential talent in the foreign lower leagues

could be very interesting 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

You can not brush aside human emotions with all of this growing information and the speed in which it is spreading. Many people are going to be very scared and an awful lot very concerned.

It is not a death sentence for the population but sadly it will hurry up for those at most risk and whilst precautions are being made ready and soon to be announced the spread has started possibly unseen due to time but will do what it is going to do.

The Danish government has pleaded with bars, restaurant, nightclubs etc. to close for the next 14 days. It's still only voluntarily, but they are looking to pass a law today that prohibits large indoor gatherings of more than 100 people for at least the next 14 days. The number of infected people has exploded from 1 person 13 days ago to about 600 now.

Sorry if this has already been said but I have done a bit of number crunching

I know people some prominent people have said that it is a low death rate with 4638 deaths among 126 620 cases but that does not tell everything clearly.

Most of those cases were in China, not for a minute am I doubting that the figures for China are correct but if we discount there cases then the figure is much worse.

Indeed in the rest of the world there have been (as of today) 6 978 completed cases, completed as in fully recovered or unfortunately died. Of those 1469 have died. That is a fatality rate of 21.05% which is a shocking figure in the modern age.

If it takes closing down for a month to allow things to calm down then we should be doing it. The exponential growth shown in every major country is a major concern. Most countries even the more developed ones can only cope with a certain number of ICU cases at any one time, Covid-19 threatens to drastically overwhelm health systems across the globe if unchecked.

Strangely one might say that the only countries not showing many cases (or any at all) are the ones perhaps known for being less than blemish free when it comes to corruption. I know of one country which as yet has no cases but they have taken the decision to close all schools and public gatherings for the next 3 weeks. 

The US whilst not having many cases for a country that big (1,336 cases) has had 38 deaths from only 53 closed cases mainly I suspect to it costing around $3 000 for a test and if you do not have insurance are you going to be able to afford that.

anyway numbers finished for now

32 minutes ago, cyprusboro said:

I know people some prominent people have said that it is a low death rate with 4638 deaths among 126 620 cases but that does not tell everything clearly.

Most of those cases were in China, not for a minute am I doubting that the figures for China are correct but if we discount there cases then the figure is much worse.

Indeed in the rest of the world there have been (as of today) 6 978 completed cases, completed as in fully recovered or unfortunately died. Of those 1469 have died. That is a fatality rate of 21.05% which is a shocking figure in the modern age.

If it takes closing down for a month to allow things to calm down then we should be doing it. The exponential growth shown in every major country is a major concern. Most countries even the more developed ones can only cope with a certain number of ICU cases at any one time, Covid-19 threatens to drastically overwhelm health systems across the globe if unchecked.

Strangely one might say that the only countries not showing many cases (or any at all) are the ones perhaps known for being less than blemish free when it comes to corruption. I know of one country which as yet has no cases but they have taken the decision to close all schools and public gatherings for the next 3 weeks. 

The US whilst not having many cases for a country that big (1,336 cases) has had 38 deaths from only 53 closed cases mainly I suspect to it costing around $3 000 for a test and if you do not have insurance are you going to be able to afford that.

Really interesting points there. Its certainly more sensible to look at the situation in Italy rather than what happened in China. Much more similarities and much more reliable data. What I find astonishing is how people would rather we carried on as normal and decide not to limit social gatherings in the form of school closures, sporting events postpones, concerts cancelled etc etc. Are those things really worth the life of a person? Get a grip.

57 minutes ago, cyprusboro said:

I posted something the other day about needing to compare deaths to completed cases otherwise its meaningless.  Your stat of 21% outside China is much worse than any I'd seen, very bad.  

As Will (I think) points out there are lots of undiagnosed cases which will lower this, but we just don't know how many are undiagnosed so its impossible to quantify.  Also, this applies to flu so the 0.1% death rate for flu is actually in all likelihood much lower too.  

A second positive is it seems that you die a lot quicker than you recover (not exactly positive) so these early deaths are skewing the death rate up. I'm hoping and expecting a lot of recoveries in Italy over the next few weeks which will see their death rate fall dramatically.

I agree that numbers from China are not to be trusted. Italy though was always likely to see a high death rate due to an ageing population (a quarter of the country is over 65) and very high smoking rates.

Another variable is how many of the vulnerable are actually able to get the medical care they need. That's the thinking behind 'flattening the curve' and shutting everything down for a while. People will still get it eventually, but the hospitals are less likely to be inundated all at once. 

At he end of the day Human life over sport there is no compromise, if you have to shut sport down you do it. Coronavirus isn't new, my wife has a bottle of Dettol at work 18 months old, on the back it states Kills E Coli, Sammonella etc. Cold viruses  (Human Coronavirus RSV).

So now the medical world are working around the clock to find more about the virus , wouldn't it have been better to try and find more about the virus before it happened in the 1st place before we had this Pandemic. All the modern technology we have, and the millions spent in the medical industry and we still act like we're in the 18th century. It is so sad that people are losing their lives in this day and age, to yet another man made virus that yet again the worlds medical industry can't find a cure for, sorry for being so cynical but that's how I feel, its so *** sad, bugger sport.  

2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

At he end of the day Human life over sport there is no compromise, if you have to shut sport down you do it. Coronavirus isn't new, my wife has a bottle of Dettol at work 18 months old, on the back it states Kills E Coli, Sammonella etc. Cold viruses  (Human Coronavirus RSV).

So now the medical world are working around the clock to find more about the virus , wouldn't it have been better to try and find more about the virus before it happened in the 1st place before we had this Pandemic. All the modern technology we have, and the millions spent in the medical industry and we still act like we're in the 18th century. It is so sad that people are losing their lives in this day and age, to yet another man made virus that yet again the worlds medical industry can't find a cure for, sorry for being so cynical but that's how I feel, its so *** sad, bugger sport.  

Coronavirus has many strains mate, COVID-19, the disease caused by this one, is pretty new. SARS was another form of that from many years ago.

It is all incredibly sad. I can only imagine the hell China is in for when this calms down or (putting on a positive voice) comes to an end. The doctor who died who was a whistleblower about this virus, China trying to cover up its existence, there's a lot of questions that need answering about this and why China ultimately did not do enough to contain it.

• Like 1

Selfishly i really hope they let this weekends fixtures continue as i am heading up from Brighton to Boro for my birthday this weekend to watch the Swansea game...... 

If worst comes to it, i guess a day full of beers and parmos will suffice.

5 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Coronavirus has many strains mate, COVID-19, the disease caused by this one, is pretty new. SARS was another form of that from many years ago.

It is all incredibly sad. I can only imagine the hell China is in for when this calms down or (putting on a positive voice) comes to an end. The doctor who died who was a whistleblower about this virus, China trying to cover up its existence, there's a lot of questions that need answering about this and why China ultimately did not do enough to contain it.

They also need to clamp down on live animal markets where a variety of wild species that would never normally cross paths are kept in cramped, hot, dirty conditions. Then people eat them right after all that cross-exposure. It's the perfect storm for creating new diseases. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ThisIzLeon said:

Selfishly i really hope they let this weekends fixtures continue as i am heading up from Brighton to Boro for my birthday this weekend to watch the Swansea game...... 

If worst comes to it, i guess a day full of beers and parmos will suffice.

This was the first fixture for SmogDane last season thankfully he got to see a boring 0-0 draw

• Haha 1