oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

1 minute ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

What is the current situation with exams? 

Could all be delayed into the next school year. 6th formers cant even make plans to go to uni next year as they may not have finished their A-levels!

• Sad 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Feel like I'm caught in a storm here as a teacher. Mixed messages from government. Not closing yet but not ruling it out. If so, when? Why are our institutions still open when the whole FECKING CONTINENT is closed??? How am I supposed to explain that to my students??

Kids scared. Parents scared and angry. Colleagues and managers at a loss. Exam schedules in bits. AAAAARGH

Any chance for a bit of time off and you can guarantee the teachers will be all over it 🙄

7 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Could all be delayed into the next school year. 6th formers cant even make plans to go to uni next year as they may not have finished their A-levels!

What reason would there be to cancel exams?  You're not going to spread the virus in an exam hall, the kids are sat far enough apart to remove that concern, aren't they?

Just now, Changing Times said:

What reason would there be to cancel exams?  You're not going to spread the virus in an exam hall, the kids are sat far enough apart to remove that concern, aren't they?

Lack of necessary contact hours with teaching staff. Online/distance working can cover some of it but exam boards are unconvinced.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Any chance for a bit of time off and you can guarantee the teachers will be all over it 🙄

😂

8 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

Lack of necessary contact hours with teaching staff. Online/distance working can cover some of it but exam boards are unconvinced.

Sounds like a lot excuses to me.  Obviously a 2 month summer holiday isn't enough for some people 🤨

• Haha 1
51 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Sounds like a lot excuses to me.  Obviously a 2 month summer holiday isn't enough for some people 🤨

we aren't set up to teach on line, they won't be able to get through the curriculum, so cannot be tested fully and fairly.

2 hours ago, BoroMart said:

we aren't set up to teach on line, they won't be able to get through the curriculum, so cannot be tested fully and fairly.

What kind of backwards country are you😂 even my 7 and 10 year olds can do it all online🤨

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

What kind of backwards country are you😂 even my 7 and 10 year olds can do it all online🤨

Well the teaching profession aren't trained to do it optimally and I doubt our school system has the technical capacity and an appropriate operating model to support it. 

3 hours ago, BoroMart said:

It's the middle of March.  The kids taking exams have about 6 weeks left and most of that is just going over older stuff.  Smogzilla knows the score 😀

Im not sure that any academic exams will be done this summer, which means students will either be given the choice of redoing the academic year, or taking results based from mock exams and coursework.

There are probably regulations that prohibit doing online exams as they wouldn’t be in a controlled and secure environment as well. Years ago I worked at a college and helped organise and often  invigilate as well and even the seat plans for each exam had to be preset and recorded before the exam and then recorded again with absences noted and the exam paper numbers placed on the deskswhere no one sat, so to think even if the technology and security is there the rules won’t have a way around for something like this. Localised short term problems like flooding or bomb scares that stop exams have policies attached to the rules but this imho will mean a full delay for everyone doing the exams.

its not hard to see this if you yourself were setting exams and then had to think just how many ways people could deliberately manipulate things or even the tech just lets you down, imagine doing your exam and after 3-4 hours of graft you hit the send button and it crashes, or the system sends wrong papers and questions to the students. The legal challenges would be horrific the costs to everyone outstanding as the exam boards n schools would rightly appeal every decision taking longer than it would to delay things till amore appropriate time.

Personally I think the summer exams will be taken either before or after new year depending on the circumstances we will face, expecting a return to academic timetables by September is very optimistic based on most projected maps of this viral outbreak. Even the optimistic Americans now planning for schools not to restart till new year, and leaked PHE plans projected potentially this time next year before the virus is controlled enough to expect a full return to normalcy as antidotes are months away still and the big fear is the more cases we have the greater chance it mutates meaning we back to square one.

• Like 1

So now all pub's, restaurants, cinemas basically all entertainment closes the staff are layed off. How do these people survive many will be paying rent doubt they have the savings to survive without government support. So I honestly believe a national wage for all workers sacked needs to be given otherwise people are literally going to be homeless penniless. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

It's the middle of March.  The kids taking exams have about 6 weeks left and most of that is just going over older stuff.  Smogzilla knows the score 😀

approx 5 out of every 7 secondary/college child isn't getting ready for exams, and are learning new stuff

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Finish at 4pm, weekends off, and loads of holidays through the year.  Teachers have got it made and now they are trying to swindle more time off at a time of national crisis! 😎

suuuuuuuuuure, I bet it's a really easy profession and financially rewarding 🤨