• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

In Ireland the Government has introduced an unemployment payment of €203 per week for anyone whose employer can't pay them during the coronavirus pandemic. Any employees who have lost their jobs or any self-employed people will be eligible to get the payment for up to six weeks.

Not much but it helps

7 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

I did get to go to his house once, many years ago. Let's just say he's not ashamed of his money.

I think one of the biggest side effects of this whole situation is that we are going to see the very worst of society (or at least the very worst reported) Whether it’s the mega rich rolling over on their employees to the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude of the panic buyers. People selling baby food and infant nappies online at massively inflated prices and people posed as do-gooders ripping off the vulnerable. This stiff upper lip, rising to the occasion in times of adversity has been replaced by ‘what can you do for me’ blame everyone else culture.
It might not be the majority but certainly a big enough minority to have me shaking my head most days when I watch the news or try and conduct my day to day business 

Just my opinion and would love it if this post comes back to firmly bite me in the ass but I can’t imagine it will.  

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I think one of the biggest side effects of this whole situation is that we are going to see the very worst of society (or at least the very worst reported) Whether it’s the mega rich rolling over on their employees to the ‘I’m alright Jack’ attitude of the panic buyers. People selling baby food and infant nappies online at massively inflated prices and people posed as do-gooders ripping off the vulnerable. This stiff upper lip, rising to the occasion in times of adversity has been replaced by ‘what can you do for me’ blame everyone else culture.
It might not be the majority but certainly a big enough minority to have me shaking my head most days when I watch the news or try and conduct my day to day business 

Just my opinion and would love it if this post comes back to firmly bite me in the ass but I can’t imagine it will.  

Sorry Uwe but I have to agree with you. I think you have it spot on

21 minutes ago, Uwe said:

All of those things have happened throughout history at times of crisis.  You had the same things happening during WWII for example.  It's human nature to look after yourself and your own, it's part of who we are at the most basic level.  I think/hope things will settle down when it becomes apparent that this is going to last for a little while.  

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

All of those things have happened throughout history at times of crisis.  You had the same things happening during WWII for example.  It's human nature to look after yourself and your own, it's part of who we are at the most basic level.  I think/hope things will settle down when it becomes apparent that this is going to last for a little while.  

By buying up all the bog rolls at Aldi?

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

The stores themselves are already starting to take action with Iceland allowing an hour for the elderly in the morning and their tills now force a max of 4 of certain types of item going through the till at once. One of the only other things we do that is with medicinal drugs, like Lemsips, Ibuprofen, Paracetomol. People are acting like children and are starting to be treated like children in response. It won't be long before the government has to step in and enforce queues outside massive bloody supermarkets and limit the number of people inside, not just to help limit virus spreading but to start to take control of the stupid masses of people who think about nobody but themselves.

But then that's capitalism and it's got us to where we are today. I've had arguments regarding capitalism as people rightly argue it's shot us forward as a society, we're hugely more advanced because of it. But some don't even recognise its faults. Like right now, capitalism as a system is not built for situations like this when everyone needs to muck in together and do a favour for your fellow man. Some people working on a vaccine for this virus have every intention of capitalising on its success, for example. So the richest people or the richest countries might be okay, sod everyone else though amirite?

It's also not inherently built to deal with climate change which is why we may never solve that problem in time and that's just as, if not more terrifying, than what we're dealing with right now.

• Like 1

This with us for many months to come, 18 months starting to be given as minimum time for a cure to be available, I’m expecting that once things start to get worse then plans will be made for rationing of family essentials as the first come first served method and the profiteering will become unacceptable to the majority of the nation.

3 minutes ago, Naisby said:

This with us for many months to come, 18 months starting to be given as minimum time for a cure to be available, I’m expecting that once things start to get worse then plans will be made for rationing of family essentials as the first come first served method and the profiteering will become unacceptable to the majority of the nation.

The country isn't going to need to introduce rationing, don't be so bloody stupid.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

How it manifests itself will differ in different circumstances but in this case I guess that's a yes, unfortunately.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the bog roll thing is a result of the meme culture. People stocking up on dry pasta and tinned food, yeah, we'd see that for sure. Hand sanitizer is because of the nature of the crisis.

Bog roll seems to have become the icon for this crisis though. Someone shares a picture of an empty aisle of bog roll, people share it across social media, some anxious people then think "I've got to buy bog roll".

Then more shops empty out, more pictures, more sharing, people who regularly don't panic start to panic and go out and grab two or three times their usual amount and so on and so forth. Other people start seeing the stocks going low in their local supermarket and grab some extra, etc. All this resulting from the meme that we are struggling with bog roll supplies.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The country isn't going to need to introduce rationing, don't be so bloody stupid.

Some stores have already implemented a 'only four of the same item' rule. I guess that's what he means.

Rationing in the sense that one selfish *** can't clear the local store of a year's worth of bog roll and cleaning supplies. 

• Like 1

Once the numbers start going up and the government wants to limit movement instead of buying food from supermarkets it will be promoted to do it online,

Once most households are doing this it will be easy to limit essentials to households only a single 4 pack of beans per family per week etc 1 hand sanitizer a week. It won’t be called rationing and you won’t have a ration book, but once you stopped from going out to get food and the online supermarkets limit you on certain items then you can brand the policy what you want but the upshot is it’s the rationing of resources.