oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

39 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

The stores themselves are already starting to take action with Iceland allowing an hour for the elderly in the morning and their tills now force a max of 4 of certain types of item going through the till at once. One of the only other things we do that is with medicinal drugs, like Lemsips, Ibuprofen, Paracetomol. People are acting like children and are starting to be treated like children in response. It won't be long before the government has to step in and enforce queues outside massive bloody supermarkets and limit the number of people inside, not just to help limit virus spreading but to start to take control of the stupid masses of people who think about nobody but themselves.

But then that's capitalism and it's got us to where we are today. I've had arguments regarding capitalism as people rightly argue it's shot us forward as a society, we're hugely more advanced because of it. But some don't even recognise its faults. Like right now, capitalism as a system is not built for situations like this when everyone needs to muck in together and do a favour for your fellow man. Some people working on a vaccine for this virus have every intention of capitalising on its success, for example. So the richest people or the richest countries might be okay, sod everyone else though amirite?

It's also not inherently built to deal with climate change which is why we may never solve that problem in time and that's just as, if not more terrifying, than what we're dealing with right now.

My favourite conspiracy is that coronavirus is manmade in an attempt to destroy the global economy so they can reframe it in a greener way. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

My favourite conspiracy is that coronavirus is manmade in an attempt to destroy the global economy so they can reframe it in a greener way. 

Don't you mean in an attempt to stop Liverpool winning the league? 

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Naisby said:

Once the numbers start going up and the government wants to limit movement instead of buying food from supermarkets it will be promoted to do it online,

Once most households are doing this it will be easy to limit essentials to households only a single 4 pack of beans per family per week etc 1 hand sanitizer a week. It won’t be called rationing and you won’t have a ration book, but once you stopped from going out to get food and the online supermarkets limit you on certain items then you can brand the policy what you want but the upshot is it’s the rationing of resources.

That's not going to happen either. Honestly it's posts like this that make people go out and panic buy in the first place.

The police are standing outside supermarkets in Ireland and limiting the amount of people entering the stores. Below 100 I believe depending on the size of the store. I also have heard that quantities are being limited per person but can’t verify that myself 

Both the Danish government and the entire retail business is doing their utmost to tell the public that there is no shortage on food and other necessities. People are encouraged to shop as they would normally do and apart from a Thursday-Saturday last week business is back to usual and the supermarket numbers are the same as this time last year. 
You’re probably lucky that you’re still part of the EU though 🙂

3 minutes ago, Blanco said:

The police are standing outside supermarkets in Ireland and limiting the amount of people entering the stores. Below 100 I believe depending on the size of the store. I also have heard that quantities are being limited per person but can’t verify that myself 

That was just discussed tonight at a press conference and it’s not something we are going to do in Denmark as you’re just moving the problems outside where people stack up for longer time. Shop as normal and it won’t be a problem. You’ll even have more hours to spread the shopping as a lot of people are sent home thus it won’t be everyone shopping as when they get off work like normally. 

1 hour ago, Naisby said:

Once the numbers start going up and the government wants to limit movement instead of buying food from supermarkets it will be promoted to do it online,

Once most households are doing this it will be easy to limit essentials to households only a single 4 pack of beans per family per week etc 1 hand sanitizer a week. It won’t be called rationing and you won’t have a ration book, but once you stopped from going out to get food and the online supermarkets limit you on certain items then you can brand the policy what you want but the upshot is it’s the rationing of resources.

Our problem right now is not the lack of resources as such, it's more the turnaround of getting food from the warehouse to the shops and from there, to the shelves. We've got a massive Iceland near us and its head count of workers vs. customers is okay but sometimes noticeably bad in busy periods. They may have scaled up somewhat but it doesn't seem like it, perhaps because the head count of customers is relatively much higher than whatever extra staff they can muster up to cover for it whilst maintaining stock availability.

As far as I understand it, our imports and exports of goods continues even during times when passenger flights from all over are being cancelled left, right and centre. Not to mention that unless people are ill right now, the production of food within our country will not stop. The virus only affects humans for a start by the sounds of it.

As for government limiting you to minimal amounts of things through online shopping (as opposed to just stopping you from stockpiling what a regular family just doesn't need) then I think the private companies supplying the food will have something to say about that. They're happy to support getting the elderly in early to get first pick, they're happy to stop people from buying legitimately more than they need; they're not gonna be happy if the government stops them selling their stock and stops them making money. We are fundamentally not prepared for a country where everyone orders their food online. It's bad enough trying to get a slot last minute for food deliveries during less crisis-ridden times, the private companies are not gonna leave their shops to stand silent whilst investing in more drivers and vehicles to deliver across the country, the government cannot hope to control that and maintain a well fed public.

10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

You’re probably lucky that you’re still part of the EU though 🙂

Ugh, this is a side-note as is but I can't believe that when asked, this government is sticking by its promise to make sure we're out when the deadline hits. There's no chance that significant negotiations are going on right now. People who at the very least want a sensible exit from the EU, now that it is definitely going to happen, are being failed because our PM is surviving with the people by being a Brexit juggernaut. It does confirm though that he never wanted to negotiate and far too many people in our country don't give a toss about that.

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Our problem right now is not the lack of resources as such, it's more the turnaround of getting food from the warehouse to the shops and from there, to the shelves. We've got a massive Iceland near us and its head count of workers vs. customers is okay but sometimes noticeably bad in busy periods. They may have scaled up somewhat but it doesn't seem like it, perhaps because the head count of customers is relatively much higher than whatever extra staff they can muster up to cover for it whilst maintaining stock availability.

As far as I understand it, our imports and exports of goods continues even during times when passenger flights from all over are being cancelled left, right and centre. Not to mention that unless people are ill right now, the production of food within our country will not stop. The virus only affects humans for a start by the sounds of it.

As for government limiting you to minimal amounts of things through online shopping (as opposed to just stopping you from stockpiling what a regular family just doesn't need) then I think the private companies supplying the food will have something to say about that. They're happy to support getting the elderly in early to get first pick, they're happy to stop people from buying legitimately more than they need; they're not gonna be happy if the government stops them selling their stock and stops them making money. We are fundamentally not prepared for a country where everyone orders their food online. It's bad enough trying to get a slot last minute for food deliveries during less crisis-ridden times, the private companies are not gonna leave their shops to stand silent whilst investing in more drivers and vehicles to deliver across the country, the government cannot hope to control that and maintain a well fed public.

Said it much better than I ever could, thanks!

28 minutes ago, Blanco said:

A colleague of mine in Spain (murcia) had to get an appointment to collect shopping from the supermarket and then had to go through 3 police cordons on the way home, showing his receipts each time. 

13 minutes ago, boroie said:

A colleague of mine in Spain (murcia) had to get an appointment to collect shopping from the supermarket and then had to go through 3 police cordons on the way home, showing his receipts each time. 

That looks like it’s the way it’s going unfortunately. Most of Europe gets it but our friends in the UK just don’t seem to see it. 

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

That looks like it’s the way it’s going unfortunately. Most of Europe gets it but our friends in the UK just don’t seem to see it. 

Worrying times. 

At least Leo had a good speech tonight. Such a difference to listening to Boris and Trump. 

2 minutes ago, boroie said:

Worrying times. 

At least Leo had a good speech tonight. Such a difference to listening to Boris and Trump. 

Boris seems clueless making it up as he goes along. Trump sweating this costs him election

51 minutes ago, boroie said:

Worrying times. 

49 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

Boris seems clueless making it up as he goes along. Trump sweating this costs him election

They said exactly the same thing just Boris said it without as much flannel.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

That's just cos the Irish can't be trusted not to scrap with each other 🤦‍♂️