oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

Just now, Changing Times said:

I think it depends if the joke is actually that I am keeping it going long past the point where I should have stopped.  Then the joke is actually on me.  Like the cracks about you being old, the joke is really on me, or that's how I see it anyway.

Oh totally, it’s the Stewart Lee technique. I see it the same way, we are all “characters” on a forum performing under aliases with pre-determined character traits. 

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Oh totally, it’s the Stewart Lee technique. I see it the same way, we are all “characters” on a forum performing under aliases with pre-determined character traits. 

My character is that i'm a ***

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

This sounds exactly what my entire family had just before Christmas. Plus a constant chesty cough. We all got rid of it and it came back again a week later. I'm not saying we had Covid-19 before it was known about but there's a chance we could have.

I just thought it was worth pointing out that two people in my family, one in their 50s, one in their 80s, both believe they may have had COVID before there was a declared case in this country. A combination of factors could lead this to being plausible, largely the fact that we just don't know enough to be sure either way.

I'm a bit sceptical it was COVID, because we are led to believe it should be incredibly deadly to those in their 80s, because nobody but these 2 people in our extended family suffered from it, amongst other reasons. But just because it's deadly doesn't mean that this wasn't quite a mild case for someone in their 80s or that the rest of the family has had it but also had a very mild unrecognisable illness. Unlikely it was COVID but hey, who really knows right now.

5 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I think (and hope) that @Borodane is referring to the Chinese government and not the country of China as a whole. It's not the fault of the citizens that they live under communist rule.

Also without the Chinese we wouldn't have Chicken Egg Foo Yung and for that i'm eternally grateful.

Well I was speaking from a technological point of view. China is advanced as any other nation when it comes to computing, manufacturing, medical science and many other fields.

They have a pretty rich and colourful culture too.

The only real "backwards" elements stem from the government's Communist doctrine, which focuses on retaining power over the citizenry at all costs and sabre-rattling at other countries perceived as a threat.

I feel bad for the people. They've got some of the smartest minds and hardest workers, held back by a myopic, megalomaniac government.

19 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But anyway, this is no place for joviality, so let's get back to the misery and doom please!

Good god no! There's plenty of that as it is in the real world.

What we need here is more silliness. To that end, I shall be making an effort to be even more ridiculous than usual. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I just thought it was worth pointing out that two people in my family, one in their 50s, one in their 80s, both believe they may have had COVID before there was a declared case in this country. A combination of factors could lead this to being plausible, largely the fact that we just don't know enough to be sure either way.

I'm a bit sceptical it was COVID, because we are led to believe it should be incredibly deadly to those in their 80s, because nobody but these 2 people in our extended family suffered from it, amongst other reasons. But just because it's deadly doesn't mean that this wasn't quite a mild case for someone in their 80s or that the rest of the family has had it but also had a very mild unrecognisable illness. Unlikely it was COVID but hey, who really knows right now.

I don't think it's 'incredibly deadly' to the elderly or underlying illnessed. 

From the numbers I've seen, the mortality is 'only' around 10% death rate for elderly or ill people who get it. Still not great, but it's not a certain death sentence.

Like you, some poeple in my family think they have had it already. My parents both had horrible coughs over winter. Probably just wishful thinking that they've already had it, but you never know.

21 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

From the numbers I've seen, the mortality is 'only' around 10% death rate for elderly or ill people who get it.

Who test positive for it.  It's entirely possible that people have had it, not been tested and have come through it ok and that includes older people.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Who test positive for it.  It's entirely possible that people have had it, not been tested and have come through it ok and that includes older people.

On the flipside of that, people could have had it, passed away and not been tested for it. So there's a very real possibility that the mortality rate could be higher, but also just as likely to be much lower too.

Personally in my opinion it is highly plausible that this virus has been in the country for 3-6 months already. The symptoms are so similar to a standard bad cold or flu, that it is possible a mass outbreak could have already happened and we were simply not aware. 

I seem to recall it was common knowledge at the back end of December that there was a new disease emerging. Since then look how far it has spread.

Say this has been bubbling away in China since September, by December it would have already been as widespread as it is now (if not more). The particularly bad flu that was going round, over Christmas and New Year, could well have been this.

9 hours ago, Borodane said:

You're both kidding right?

China is backwards on so many levels in the modern society. Their basic human rights are appalling and if you think they've done a good job regarding the virus then I suggest you watch some of the documentaries that are online. China has basically done everything wrong that they could. Doctors were hauled into police questioning for discussing a potential new virus long before it became public, people are being dragged away by police in the streets on the suspicion of being infected and journalists have gone missing as they documented the horrific actions of the chinese government and footage of police wealding buildings shut so people could be contained with no medical help and being left deal with the virus/die on their own. The dead were left in hospital aisels for days and medical staff were breaking down in front of cameras because the governemt were busier trying to contain the news rather than dealing with the problem. If you think China has done even a remotely good job then I don't think you've seen everything that's been going on. But I suppose if you think a dictatorship/communist government with no human rights is commendable then by all means feel free.

And to think I can't have that view because we were a Viking nation thousands of years ago is just baffling. China being the cradle of civilisation does not automatically mean they are a modern society today.

I have visited China on business and can vouch they are far more civilized and business oriented then you give then credit for. They are very good hosts and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and learnt a great deal about lean and JIT operations. 
There may be some truth in some of what you state but the  media and activists love to paint bad pictures, come on your better than that. 

Edited by sanddancer
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

On the flipside of that, people could have had it, passed away and not been tested for it. So there's a very real possibility that the mortality rate could be higher, but also just as likely to be much lower too.

I suspect people who pass away at this moment in time are likely to be tested for it as a matter of course so I don't believe that is a real possibility, mate.  Obviously anything before the virus emerged could be a different story, depending on where the person passed away, but the figures now should be pretty accurate.

7 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Obviously anything before the virus emerged could be a different story, depending on where the person passed away, but the figures now should be pretty accurate.

Sorry I was meaning anyone before the end of Jan in UK (alledged first cases in the UK were back end of Jan). I think it's a certainty that anyone that passes will be tested now.