oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

16 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean, I'm of the mind that the NHS is underfunded and understaffed (and staff are underpaid) vs. the challenge they face day in, day out and our current political leaders have little intention of solving that problem. That's a viewpoint I've held for some time and something I hope we can change.

But even saying that, it does make me feel somewhat uneasy that some on the left are already happy to blame this lack of resources to deal with the worst affected patients on the current government and its handling of the NHS. I will not be shocked at all to see the likes of Corbyn and McDonnell blame this problem on the Tories because they will be made an easy target. It borders on a mild happiness for some that the NHS is coming under so much stress that it can be so publicised and so easily used to attack them. When, as you say, the main culprits that are going to cause the greatest stress during this particular period is not government, it is people. And if those same people happy to point the finger at the government during this period are also happily going about their lives like nothing has changed and that there's nothing to worry about, they can get in the sea.

I mentioned before that I don’t think the NHS is under funded and I still don’t. However the money that’s put into it is massively misplaced. When the Government say they are going to put an extra £XXX Billion, we tend to think in Doctors/Nurses/Equipment and drugs. Not the Consultant agencies that are on hugely inflated salaries that are hired to ‘Streamline’ the NHS and not the frontline care that is desperately needed. Also some of the contracts that are signed off literally haemorrhage millions on a weekly basis. I had a family member work for the NHS in a admin role. She said that every time a lightbulb or strip light goes out. They are not allowed to change it. Instead they call an engineer that goes into a cupboard (in her office) and swaps it out. The NHS then gets billed £80. Who the *** signed that off 🤷‍♂️  (Disclaimer: this was about 8yrs ago)  

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I mentioned before that I don’t think the NHS is under funded and I still don’t. However the money that’s put into it is massively misplaced. When the Government say they are going to put an extra £XXX Billion, we tend to think in Doctors/Nurses/Equipment and drugs. Not the Consultant agencies that are on hugely inflated salaries that are hired to ‘Streamline’ the NHS and not the frontline care that is desperately needed. Also some of the contracts that are signed off literally haemorrhage millions on a weekly basis. I had a family member work for the NHS in a admin role. She said that every time a lightbulb or strip light goes out. They are not allowed to change it. Instead they call an engineer that goes into a cupboard (in her office) and swaps it out. The NHS then gets billed £80. Who the *** signed that off 🤷‍♂️  (Disclaimer: this was about 8yrs ago)  

I've heard similar from a manager that worked in the NHS labs. She said they would get e.g. 100 vials of a drug to sample. They would test 1 vial and would have to throw the other 99 away. They weren't allowed to give them back even though they were perfectly usable. 

Trouble with a private system is it all becomes about the money. Trouble with a public system is no-one cares about the money...

• Like 1

@Uwe and @boro-unger it is the same in the Police and further education. The amount of wasted money on "middle men" or support staff is pretty insane. I'm not saying that they aren't all important, but I'm almost certain (if time or money was no object) that, if we did widespread reviews of everyone's roles within organisations like these you'd find people that have just "hidden away" and picked up pay check after pay check, without adding much value to the organisations.

Obviously it is incredibly difficult to strike the right balance between offering a high standard of  "service" (Healthcare, Policing and Education) and being financially savvy on a national scale.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Emergency COBRA meeting, I reckon the country is going into full lockdown.

Threatening people with fines if they don't stay at home might be the only way these stupid idiots who are going out unnecessarily will listen.

Yeah the telegraph are reporting every non essential shop forced to close. Only Supermarkets, Pharmacy etc remain open

9 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

@Uwe and @boro-unger it is the same in the Police and further education. The amount of wasted money on "middle men" or support staff is pretty insane. I'm not saying that they aren't all important, but I'm almost certain (if time or money was no object) that, if we did widespread reviews of everyone's roles within organisations like these you'd find people that have just "hidden away" and picked up pay check after pay check, without adding much value to the organisations.

Obviously it is incredibly difficult to strike the right balance between offering a high standard of  "service" (Healthcare, Policing and Education) and being financially savvy on a national scale.

Think the military trumps all those organisations. We have Brigadiers (and other services equivalent) on gardening leave because we don’t have the Brigades to command. Then they retire on a pension that pays them immediately the money they were earning for the rest of their life

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

That's an argument for reviewing where the money goes, not necessarily cutting funds back. I'd definitely be in favour of reforming it in a manner that stopped consultants profiting when providing little to no value, I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't want that kind of reform if it was headed by the right people. If that reform was to happen under this government, would that be the case? I don't see how it would. I think if it happened in the next 4-5 years, we'd still at the end of it have nurses surviving through the use of food-banks, which given what they do is tragic.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

That's an argument for reviewing where the money goes, not necessarily cutting funds back. I'd definitely be in favour of reforming it in a manner that stopped consultants profiting when providing little to no value, I can't imagine anyone that wouldn't want that kind of reform if it was headed by the right people. If that reform was to happen under this government, would that be the case? I don't see how it would. I think if it happened in the next 4-5 years, we'd still at the end of it have nurses surviving through the use of food-banks, which given what they do is tragic.

I agree 100%. Would love to see reform. But as mentioned before we need the right balance of who makes the decisions. 
Doctors care about people, business people care about money.  Neither are capable of running a effective health service on their own. But we definitely need to do things better 

9 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Olympics postponed until next year

It had to happen but that’s an absolute nightmare as athletes (and their national governing bodies) spend years ensuring they peak at exactly the right time. 

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Emergency COBRA meeting, I reckon the country is going into full lockdown.

Threatening people with fines if they don't stay at home might be the only way these stupid idiots who are going out unnecessarily will listen.

Sounds like a board of super heroes😜

1 minute ago, boro-unger said:

PM speech at 8:30pm. Full lockdown for the country? Or just London?

Denmark have just extended the “closed” period until 13 April. We’re still allowed to go outside but not assemble more than 10 persons at a time if needed. People still advised to stay clear of others and not go out if unnecessary. Borders are closed though. Some experts are saying that kids won’t get back to school this side of the summer.