oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

Just now, Changing Times said:

The supermarkets are staying open and people can still go to them so why would people rush to them?

Because, as the last couple of weeks has proven to us, people aren't very sensible?

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

That's incredibly interesting as I was literally just discussing this with the people from work and wondering whether it was worth bothering to pre-order it. Given the amount of petrol I'll be saving the next few weeks, I may well settle for getting the digital version instead, even if it is a tenner extra vs. Amazon.

Digital gaming sales is going to see a massive boom over the next few months, as well as subscriptions to the various streaming sites.

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

The supermarkets are staying open and people can still go to them so why would people rush to them?

Because people are selfish idiots. 

I did consider making my way to my local off licence though...

13 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Because as Boris has pointed out, people are *** idiots.

I reckon the army will be patrolling the streets within the next few weeks.

Supermarkets and offlicenses will restock overnight, thats what supply chains are for. We had our own mini rush here in Ireland 2 weeks ago when it was announced. The shops were mental on the Friday but were restocked on Saturday, and by Monday you wouldnt notice any difference (except for no hand sanitiser, or dettol wipes)

9 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Sorry, I didn't mean it like adding new people to dilute results.  The countries that have a high death rate, like Italy, seem to be odd outliers to me.  I'm not a health expert but I do like messing around with some maths now and again.  I mentioned in that post the data I'd seen about Italy and the fact that there was an unusually high proportion of older people who are apparently contracting the virus there - 75% of the cases are people over the age of 50.  Even with a relatively older population than most countries, those numbers don't make sense to me (that doesn't mean that they don't make sense at all of course, they just don't to me).  Contracting the virus should be relatively random over large numbers of people and it doesn't seem to be in Italy for some reason.  To me this either means that the data I've seen is incorrect (making the post pointless), there are far more people in Italy with the virus than they realise but a lot don't have symptoms/it's very mild or there really is some odd quirk where older people have gotten it first before many younger people.  If it's the latter then with more cases you would expect the number of infected healthier people better able to fight the virus to grow far more rapidly and thus the mortality rate will decrease as more cases are added.  If it's that there are already more cases in Italy, then the mortality rate is already lower than we realise.

All that I objected to was your statement that the death rate in this country would be higher than 4% and that it would be higher than that worldwide.  You can't say that with any certainty and to me it's wrong to do so as it's a scary enough time as it is.  The experts seem to disagree with that and I think we have to trust them on this.

Yeah I get what you are saying.  Where I was coming from was that China had a death rate of 4% (apparently) and I didn't think anyone would be able to deal with it as well as them.  But while China have tested significantly it does seem like they also have unreported cases so hopefully they are lower.

I also spend lots of time playing around with numbers and so I've been doing some digging and it seems like every country has totally different methods of coming up with their figures, which makes it very difficult to compare.  Italy has been an outlier almost from the moment it arrived there.  It turns out (according to one of the sky news app stories) that in Italy if you have the virus and die, they record it as being death by the virus even if you die of something else, this is a bit weird and may explain partially why their figures look so bad.

In an earlier post, we mentioned the discharge / recovered rates stat.  It turns out that in the UK we only record cases from hospital so they are in fact discharged figures from the UK.  In a way this makes me a bit more relaxed about our numbers.  In other countries though they widely test and the figures include recovered people who didn't get particularly sick.  All in all this means its very difficult to get reliable figures, I think all we can really conclude is its a bad one.

Edited by sackrobson2
3 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Because, as the last couple of weeks has proven to us, people aren't very sensible?

Yes exactly this.  So many people don't seem to actually listen to what's said.  

I see Mike Ashley is keeping Sports Direct open as he claims they are an essential service.  The greed of the man knows no bounds.  I really hope people take note of things like this and when its all over boycott his stores.  Profiteering off this kind of thing is as low as it gets.

Edited by sackrobson2
6 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

Yes exactly this.  So many people don't seem to actually listen to what's said.  

I see Mike Ashley is keeping Sports Direct open as he claims they are an essential service.  The greed of the man knows no bounds.  I really hope people take note of things like this and when its all over boycott his stores.  Profiteering off this kind of thing is as low as it gets.

At least he's not as bad as Wetherspoons owner and Super Brexit Fan Tim Martin, who has said his 37k+ employees won't be getting paid after the 22nd of March until he gets the 80% wages from the government (which might not be until the end of April.)

Well at least whilst we have good weather I can ensure that I can do a walk ensuring a minimum of 10k paces is completed and then take a walk to the shop later on for essentials. Once folks get used to not going out there will not be so many issues obtaining items.

In reality and probably for most of us there will be no need to go out daily (which they want to encourage) just to continue to stockpile I know that there is no urgency to get to the shops. It is the daily things like getting a paper, packet of fags that many will have trouble accepting.

I think what will happen is that if the Police see you out they will simply chat to you find out what you are doing, record that information and then if seen again that day by the same officers you will be lectured and told to go home, up to you if you then decide to rebel and face the consequences thereafter.

We will know today once the Police have been advised just what penalties there will be.

Just now, Downsouth said:

Well at least whilst we have good weather I can ensure that I can do a walk ensuring a minimum of 10k paces is completed and then take a walk to the shop later on for essentials. Once folks get used to not going out there will not be so many issues obtaining items.

In reality and probably for most of us there will be no need to go out daily (which they want to encourage) just to continue to stockpile I know that there is no urgency to get to the shops. It is the daily things like getting a paper, packet of fags that many will have trouble accepting.

I think what will happen is that if the Police see you out they will simply chat to you find out what you are doing, record that information and then if seen again that day by the same officers you will be lectured and told to go home, up to you if you then decide to rebel and face the consequences thereafter.

We will know today once the Police have been advised just what penalties there will be.

Lmao the police realistically aren't going to do anything if they see you outdoors, not to mention the fact there aren't enough police on the streets as it is.

Boris has said this in the hope it scares people (for want of a better word) into complying and honestly if it doesn't work (and it won't) then the army will be called in to patrol the streets like Spain have done.

And the army, well they won't mess around.

16 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

At least he's not as bad as Wetherspoons owner and Super Brexit Fan Tim Martin, who has said his 37k+ employees won't be getting paid after the 22nd of March until he gets the 80% wages from the government (which might not be until the end of April.)

Truly a man of the people. If, when you say people, you mean himself and nobody else. Showing his true colours but then who is shocked by that at all.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Truly a man of the people. If, when you say people, you mean himself and nobody else. Showing his true colours but then who is shocked by that at all.

Well if that's true I hope everyone stops going to his pubs when they reopen.  Horrible bloke.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Lmao the police realistically aren't going to do anything if they see you outdoors, not to mention the fact there aren't enough police on the streets as it is.

Boris has said this in the hope it scares people (for want of a better word) into complying and honestly if it doesn't work (and it won't) then the army will be called in to patrol the streets like Spain have done.

So far the Military are planning on augmenting the civilian frontline services. i.e drivers helping ambulance staff or food deliveries. Also emergency temporary hospitals to be set up utilising military medical staff. 
There is also a task force of 200 WO1 - Lt Col to come up with contingency planning but I think patrolling the streets are a long way off. At most supporting the police as they engage with the population 

Also anyone that knows the military. You put 200 senior officers in a room and absolutely *** all will get sorted for the first 2-3 weeks of *** measuring and chest beating 🤦‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The army won’t bother you at all DZ. Just tell them you know Uwe and you’ll be grand 👍

• Haha 1