oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

Mine is all about routine

I normally Awake about 0630-0700 have a cup of tea watch the news. 

0800 Get the kids up, as I’m keen for them to realise just because they’re off school, this is not a holiday

0900 my little girl does the Joe Wicks workout

0930-1200 School work. 
I’m still trying to complete 1000 press ups in a day. So far my best is 850. (The first 10 sets are reps of 60 then drop to reps of 50)

1200-1300 lunch (whilst trying to teach Oscar how to cook simple meals 

1300 we go for a walk if we need any groceries I incorporate this in here

1500 Free time (I have some work to be going on with) 

1800ish Tea time (Still refuse to call it Dinner) 

1900 Movie night or games night

2100 Little girl goes to bed

2200 Bedtime

And repeat 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Let me just reiterate that the press up challenge is throughout the whole day 

That's still a hell of a lot!  Impressive you can start at sets of 60, think I'd struggle to get to 20.  I might start having a go but think my starting target will be 100 in a day.

I’m enjoying it, time to chill out, read some books, play some guitar, discover new music and create a few playlists, catch up on some TV series I’ve missed out on.
No shopping, no pressure to hang out with anyone, still got a full tank of fuel in my car. I may not be earning money at the moment, but I’m sure as hell not spending much either!

• Like 1

I've spent the last few days battling Coronavirus! Obviously I can't be definitive about that til the home testing comes out, but I have five of the seven most common symptoms according to the WHO, and my wife has six - including the top three. It's the first time in my life a dry cough has then turned productive, the first time I've felt breathless other than while walking around in really hot climates, etc.

On the upside, assuming I test positive next week or the week after for the antibodies, I can honestly say it's not a patch on flu. I've been able to work from home insofar as there's still work to do, only missed a few meals, and though I feel pretty crap, I'm still functioning. The lack of sleep from all the coughing is the worst part.

I'm also attempting to register as an NHS volunteer, but healthcare is devolved to Scotland and the SNP cannot bear to copy a good idea the English came up with first, so there's no opportunity to do so yet. At least I shouldn't have to worry about catching Coronavirus if I'm running in and out of chemists and supermarkets for people.

When I'm not trying to catch up on sleep, I am reading a lot more. Dominic Sandbrook has just published a brilliant book called Who Dares Wins, about Thatcher's first term in office. There's loads of football references (he's a massive Wolves fan), and lots of wry humour. Highly recommended if you're interested in the history of modern Britain.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

I've spent the last few days battling Coronavirus! Obviously I can't be definitive about that til the home testing comes out, but I have five of the seven most common symptoms according to the WHO, and my wife has six - including the top three. It's the first time in my life a dry cough has then turned productive, the first time I've felt breathless other than while walking around in really hot climates, etc.

On the upside, assuming I test positive next week or the week after for the antibodies, I can honestly say it's not a patch on flu. I've been able to work from home insofar as there's still work to do, only missed a few meals, and though I feel pretty crap, I'm still functioning. The lack of sleep from all the coughing is the worst part.

I'm also attempting to register as an NHS volunteer, but healthcare is devolved to Scotland and the SNP cannot bear to copy a good idea the English came up with first, so there's no opportunity to do so yet. At least I shouldn't have to worry about catching Coronavirus if I'm running in and out of chemists and supermarkets for people.

When I'm not trying to catch up on sleep, I am reading a lot more. Dominic Sandbrook has just published a brilliant book called Who Dares Wins, about Thatcher's first term in office. There's loads of football references (he's a massive Wolves fan), and lots of wry humour. Highly recommended if you're interested in the history of modern Britain.

Thank you for sharing and hope that you and your family recover from all of this, please let us know the test results.

This might encourage others in the same situation, I think many of us will get it without knowing unless they do speed up testing.

Well done on the NHS situation I guess they will wait for a while taking you on

• Like 1

Hope you get well soon @RiseAgainst and the family too. Glad to hear its not too impactful! 

My routine is nothing like Uwe's, I'm fully working from home so I'm at my desk in front of a computer from about 08:30 until 18:30 or so. Certainly not a holiday here! I'm busier than ever trying to manage a team remotely, sucks up so much time. 

• Like 1

@RiseAgainst all the best mate. Hope you feel better soon.

This isnt particularly aimed at you, but something i think we all need to remember: Even if you get positive antibody test results, be aware that you could still pass the virus around on your hands. E.g if you touched a door handle that had the virus on, then touched an item that you were collecting for a vulnerable neighbour who hasn't had the virus already etc.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

This isnt particularly aimed at you, but something i think we all need to remember: Even if you get positive antibody test results, be aware that you could still pass the virus around on your hands. E.g if you touched a door handle that had the virus on, then touched an item that you were collecting for a vulnerable neighbour who hasn't had the virus already etc.

Yes indeed we all need to be "scrubbers":classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

Good point - nobody seems to know how long the virus can live on specific surfaces, and even someone who's recovered from it could transmit new germs unwittingly.

This whole thing has made me realise what manky gets some people are, like the woman a fortnight ago at soft play who kept coughing upwards all the time instead of into a hanky. I'd never really thought about how many germs may be lingering on every public surface we come into contact with.  I've always been pedantic about washing my hands thoroughly whenever possible, but I could easily become totally paranoid about contagion and secondary infection if I sat down and thought about it for long enough...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, boroie said:

Hope you get well soon @RiseAgainst and the family too. Glad to hear its not too impactful! 

My routine is nothing like Uwe's, I'm fully working from home so I'm at my desk in front of a computer from about 08:30 until 18:30 or so. Certainly not a holiday here! I'm busier than ever trying to manage a team remotely, sucks up so much time. 

This is my biggest struggle too, trying to organise a team remotely is a full time job, cant get anything done!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I wish people would stay the *** at home.

The virus isn't going to vanish if we all hide at home for a few weeks. As soon as they lift restrictions, it'll spike. And I can't see people coping with being stuck indoors for more than a matter of weeks. We'd all go mad, and run out of money. And the virus would still be circulating. Even the Chinese predict cases will soar as soon as they take off all the apartment block doors they've welded shut. Though I suspect they won't release official figures any more.

My best friend is one of Scotland's most senior doctors. He says if we hadn't locked down, cases would have spiked, many thousands would have died and hospitals would have been completely over-run. It would have been horrific. But by the start of June, Coronavirus would have burned itself out. Instead of which, he expects a comparable number of people will die over a timeframe ten or twenty times longer, allied to the absolutely incalculable social, economic and psychological costs of the country being shut down indefinitely. Since it's going to be years before there's an effective global vaccination programme, there's no exit strategy to hiding away, and economic projections suggest countries will be bankrupt long before Covid-19 dies out.

He also cites the example of how much isn't being done medically during this lockdown. People are developing other acute health conditions on a daily basis that aren't being investigated or treated because the surgeries are all closed and hospitals aren't doing normal work. That may take years to fully resolve if people haven't already died from a lack of treatment. The Covid-19 death rate isn't the only one worth looking at.

Every day that passes under lockdown puts households further into debt, racks up billions more pounds in State debt which we'll be paying back for decades, and deprives children of a full school education (as opposed to whatever individual teachers can cobble together over Skype.) I can't even begin to quantify the mental health ramifications of all this. The only argument I can make for a lockdown is to give the NHS time to increase its ICU capacity and raise available staffing levels through recruitment and volunteering. Once they've done that to the best of their ability, it seems little short of madness to expect everyone to remain at home.

I do understand asking vulnerable and elderly people to self-isolate, but all of us? Even when, in the overwhelming majority of cases in people under 70, you'll just have a few days of feeling unwell - if you even realise you've got it at all? Is staying at home truly the answer?

There's an air of simply, we don't have enough time to discuss the potential ramifications for taking any strategy. We have to go with the best we've got right now. The global economy isn't gonna bust overnight through delays, it's gonna need stabilising in parts for sure but I don't think there's a country in the world ready to deal with this pandemic. We seem to have some idea which direction we need to go into to be more ready for it and delaying for time to put us in that position, in my eyes, seems like a pretty good plan.

If I compare that to my industry, say you're coming to crunch time on a project and final submissions are coming close but you have a catastrophe happening around you. You can either make dog-*** quick decisions or you can buy yourself some time to come up with a better plan. As it is, delaying is potentially going to allow the health service to manage emergency care requirements and allowing industry to get involved and start building more equipment and capacity needed to cope with more cases, never mind that it gives the people at the top time to think about a better, longer term strategy and put it in place, rather than just snapping their fingers at the first idea that comes forward to take the fight to the virus.

Saying that by the start of June, the virus would have burned out is not a suitable justification for allowing our health service to be overrun for 2-3 months as we watch 1000s of people die. It's certainly not a judgement a political system should make overnight. Of course the virus isn't going away if we delay, that has literally never been the point. Good luck leading a country as a democratically elected representative when you tell people "We need to let people die to win this battle".

• Like 3