oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

4 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Oh and by the way, I don't *think* anyone here is a massive boozehound, but some of my idiotic facebook friends are, and they're saying they're drinking daily out of sheer boredom.

If you'd rather not have a massively compromised immune system for when COVID-19 hits, don't do this.

This is one of the many reasons I don’t do Facebook to many fricken idiots on there 🤦‍♂️

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Uwe said:

This is one of the many reasons I don’t do Facebook to many fricken idiots on there 🤦‍♂️

The worst thing is I only have about 50 FB friends, and they're either close family or people I actually know in real life. So if they die as a result of their own stupidity i'm still going to care about them.

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The worst thing is I only have about 50 FB friends, and they're either close family or people I actually know in real life. So if they die as a result of their own stupidity i'm still going to care about them.

My family is really quite small. Although my older sister lives her life through Facebook. I had loads of workmates who were largely full of 💩

14 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not a Brexiteer but if we are looking to move forward as a nation that looks primarily after itself, and so long as we are sourcing the ventilators for ourselves (as I'm sure I read earlier that we are, via Dyson in one instance) then I'm tempted to say this isn't the strangest thing to do. I don't think it does anything but confirm our willingness to distance ourselves from the EU, something the public has (unfortunately in my eyes) shown a willingness to do twice now.

If I was to put this and 'not pushing back the trade deal negotiation timetable because nobody is negotiating right now' on the same scale of 'Brexit shittery', it would overwhelmingly fall on the side of the latter, lets put it that way. This virus is frankly a superbly convenient excuse for Brexiteers to avoid the discussions and exit 'as promised' towards the end of this year.

https://thenantwichnews.co.uk/2020/03/24/nantwich-firm-blasts-government-over-delay-after-offering-5000-ventilators/

TL:DR - The Tories are awesome and this definitely isn't an issue!

59 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Not even a news story. He’s one of over 14000 companies that registered its intent to help. Just a few questions that the article failed to ask

How long was delivery time from UAE

Were they the cheapest bidder

were they the ventilators that the NHS needs

Are the compliant in the Health Care standards

How available are spares 

Are they easy to train on or already like the ones we have in the system  

Why didn’t the company order them and hold them in the UK for quick distribution  

Thus isn’t a dig at you DZ we have already discussed the red tape and bureaucracy that hamstrings the NHS and other government industries. But it us the laziest journalism I’ve seen in a while  

But for those who only read the headlines or first paragraph it serves a purpose  

14 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Not even a news story. He’s one of over 14000 companies that registered its intent to help. Just a few questions that the article failed to ask

How long was delivery time from UAE

Were they the cheapest bidder

were they the ventilators that the NHS needs

Are the compliant in the Health Care standards

How available are spares 

Are they easy to train on or already like the ones we have in the system  

Why didn’t the company order them and hold them in the UK for quick distribution  

Thus isn’t a dig at you DZ we have already discussed the red tape and bureaucracy that hamstrings the NHS and other government industries. But it us the laziest journalism I’ve seen in a while  

But for those who only read the headlines or first paragraph it serves a purpose  

I mean, it's not the only story coming out, and since I posted that tweet last night the government backpedalled to "oh, we didn't get the email" so i'm still not convinced Boris and his cronies are doing a good job.

Oh and a big shout out to all the people clapping for the NHS workers last night. Great stuff, I hope you all don't vote Tory in the next election though.

Boris confirmed with COVID-19. Expect 2,000,000 ventilators inbound in the next 24 hours 😳

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I mean, it's not the only story coming out, and since I posted that tweet last night the government backpedalled to "oh, we didn't get the email" so i'm still not convinced Boris and his cronies are doing a good job.

Oh and a big shout out to all the people clapping for the NHS workers last night. Great stuff, I hope you all don't vote Tory in the next election though.

I don't think anyone should be attributing significant praise or criticism directly at BJ for our strategy, so I am equally unconvinced. I think the strategy would be effectively the same regardless of which rosette the elected leader wears so it seems pointless to be on either side of the fence for the PM based on the way things have moved forward thus far.

In a response to my own question from a few days ago, I went to do a shop yesterday evening after work, around 5:30pm. We're based in Sunderland at the mo and we went to the big Iceland Warehouse in Hylton Retail Park and the big Sainsbury's just down the road from there. Geographically that might not make much of a difference to many in here but thought if you're worried about getting out to the shops soon, it's worth posting about the experience.

We went to Iceland first in the retail park, it's like a quarter-size of the retail end of Teesside Park, just a long row of big shops with a small Greggs, Costa and Card Warehouse at the end. Things like Home Bargains, Aldi, Iceland, Smyths, Peacocks and a couple more. The car park was absolutely dead. The place is usually very busy day and night, easy enough to get parked but noticeably busy at all times. Before the lockdown, this was still the case.

So how about now, few days after... well the food shops were open, including the big Iceland Warehouse with some signs outside about the elderly/NHS hour. Inside, Iceland was much better than before the lockdown. Some signs up about the distancing, some tape along the floor to indicate what was 2m apart. Food-wise, not fully stocked, still out of toilet paper but the fact they had one pack of kitchen roll and a box of packaged tissues was a noticeable improvement on that front. Tinned food was still low, no pasta really... but everything else was much better. The frozen stuff was ransacked prior to lockdown. This time we got everything we needed. Fresh section was quite well stocked with meats, we got some fresh veg. Quite a lot of bread and baked products like that, eggs in decent stock considering the time of day. Overall, this made me feel much more confident about where we're at.

After that we went to the Sainsbury's and we got our first queue. Not organised by security but people obeyed it. Not a very long queue but it got bigger soon after we got there, we were 2nd in line, waiting for people to come out. Stood for maybe 5 minutes waiting to be let in. Once we were in, it was clear how dead it was inside. Usually a big long line of tills active, now only 2 or 3. Self service had 2 active tills. We didn't get a good look around everywhere but notably they had quite a bit of toilet paper to spare. We managed to pick one pack of 18 rolls up to top us up a bit. It even looked like the Argos at the back might have been working though we didn't have a good look up there. But it was the whole shop, so even the home sections, all opened up. People by and large also maintaining good social distancing. I noticed when I went to pick up a couple of Coke bottles, there was a woman behind me who wanted to come down the aisle but waited for me to leave first. Again, it was much more positive vs. before lockdown, people obeying the rules and not being *** about it.

So yeah, hopefully that makes people feel a bit better about going out to do their shops.

I had to go to the local shop Tesco express for a particular item, the aisles where marked out with strips 2 metres apart, and the same at the counter, 99% of customers were adhering to it, but as usual you always get one. If the rule is blatantly flouted after a warning from staff or security, I would love to see that person told they need to leave the premises as they won't be getting served, might make them think next time. Tough love at this sensitive time.

I went to Waitrose but only because the queue was much shorter than Asda just to get in the store. The Aisles were reasonable stocked just fricken ridiculously priced 😡

We managed to get a slot with the Co op for a home delivery (as we are in self isolation/quarantine).. We had an email this morning saying that 75% of the things we ordered were unavailable. They ended up delivering what they had (we really needed food) and the delivery driver was someone who worked for the government and was redeployed as a delivery driver. 

He also stated that we were his first delivery of the day that didn't solely consist of wine! 

14 hours ago, sackrobson2 said:

It will be interesting to see how they allocate the key equipment between the various countries. 

I've just seen on the BBC news app that the government are changing their story.

Coronavirus: 'Mix-up' over EU ventilator scheme https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52052694

Now it turns out we didn’t get some emails and therefore missed a deadline to join the EU programme. Got to wonder how bad communication is in this government, every other day there’s contradictions. 

They can't even decide how to handle the financial aspects of it.  The hardest hit countries want more help, the usual suspects don't seem to want to give it quite as easily though.

I don't believe there was any email mix up, mind.  I think we simply decided to go it alone, which is what we are going to be doing from now on so we might as well get on with it.