• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Haha, just wait until the inevitable second wave hits us. Some serious questions will be asked. 

Or maybe there won’t be one. We can’t keep everything under lockdown until the virus is completely gone or there is a 100% cure. Obviously money is a question because a lot of jobs depend on the football industry but the professional sport itself is a very safe environment for everyone that’s in it. 
The governments around Europe are simply starting various businesses up that is deemed safe and professional football behind closed doors isn’t dangerous in any way. 

2 hours ago, Borodane said:

isn’t dangerous in any way. 

Sorry but this is such a naive perspective, BD. There is literally no one on this planet who has the authority to say that this virus is not dangerous in circumstances that literally involves close contact with other human beings. Nobody knows of a way to absolutely 100% not transmit the virus other than to literally not be next to people when you have it.

Generally speaking, you have a point, I get that we can't just hide away in our homes forever. But the idea that there are circumstances in which people can be in physical contact with each other as they used to be and still be 100% safe really undermines where you're going with this. There are varying rates of risk and we can't move forward until everyone acknowledges that.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Sorry but this is such a naive perspective, BD. There is literally no one on this planet who has the authority to say that this virus is not dangerous in circumstances that literally involves close contact with other human beings. Nobody knows of a way to absolutely 100% not transmit the virus other than to literally not be next to people when you have it.

Generally speaking, you have a point, I get that we can't just hide away in our homes forever. But the idea that there are circumstances in which people can be in physical contact with each other as they used to be and still be 100% safe really undermines where you're going with this. There are varying rates of risk and we can't move forward until everyone acknowledges that.

Germany & The German league - who seem to be doing pretty rigorous testing; had at least two new cases after the first round of games. There's no way it will be totally safe.

8 hours ago, Borodane said:

Or maybe there won’t be one. We can’t keep everything under lockdown until the virus is completely gone or there is a 100% cure. Obviously money is a question because a lot of jobs depend on the football industry but the professional sport itself is a very safe environment for everyone that’s in it. 
The governments around Europe are simply starting various businesses up that is deemed safe and professional football behind closed doors isn’t dangerous in any way. 

The way vast swathes of the British public have behaved during the supposed lockdown and the government's pathetic response in opening more stuff up too soon (especially schools, jesus christ) pretty much guarantees there's going to be a second wave. Just wait and see.

OK, I may have said too much by saying "it isn't dangerous in any way". While I obviously acknowledge that there is risk when humans have contact, I'll rephrase it to probably one of the lowest risks across the country considering they are well guarded and have weekly tests so they can be treated immediatly and they are healthy young athletes.

8 hours ago, Brunners said:

Germany & The German league - who seem to be doing pretty rigorous testing; had at least two new cases after the first round of games. There's no way it will be totally safe.

Well that was something I would expect, and even if football was still under lockdown in Germany they might have gotten it anyway considering they have interactions with people outside football too. At least they are quickly diagnosed now so they can go into quarantine and their family can get tested right away too. This way you can easily and quickly break the chain of infection. 

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

The way vast swathes of the British public have behaved during the supposed lockdown and the government's pathetic response in opening more stuff up too soon (especially schools, jesus christ) pretty much guarantees there's going to be a second wave. Just wait and see.

It's hardly the footballing industry's fault that people can't behave properly. We've opened up a lot over the last month in Denmark and massively increased testing and the number of infected people have still dropped massively and the number of people in hospital have decreased to a level where it's almost insignificant and the we're only using 4% of our respirators. 

My point is we need to learn to live with it and looking at the professional football industry the risks aren't big enough to justify keeping it under lockdown. What people do in the private households isn't the fault of football. There are thousands of jobs on the line and you can't just keep that locked down when the risks don't justify it. It really hasn't got anything to do with greed but rather a weighted consideration of which industry can open at what risk.

I really fail to see the huge risks of football behind closed doors. If it's because people will get together in large gatherings, drink from the same beer and not keep a distance then it's because they are stupid and not because of football itself. 

• Like 1

Ah but BD, you live in a country where people are socially responsible, we live in a vou try with a weak government that gives out mixed messages that are in turn interpreted by the general public to fit there own agendas. 
it’s very worrying. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Ah but BD, you live in a country where people are socially responsible, we live in a vou try with a weak government that gives out mixed messages that are in turn interpreted by the general public to fit there own agendas. 
it’s very worrying. 

The whole Cummings affair and how much the senior Tory cabinet members have attempted to shield him from being held responsible really drives that home. It's so important that everyone adheres to the rules and adheres to the spirit of it, get out and clap every Thursday and as one body and mind, we'll get through this together. Unless you're the chief adviser to the PM, in which case the only thing that matters is whether you've legally done anything wrong. And what drives me up the *** wall is how hardcore Brexiteers spent the entirety of the 2019 election campaign defending the media harassment of anybody who might think walking off the edge of a cliff is a bad idea, but now think the media are the scum of the Earth for taking on poor family man Dominic Cummings.

• Like 4

What's everyone been drinking during lockdown then?

Personally i'm into craft beer, but because my usual bottle shop is closed and we've all been travel restricted, i've been limited to what I can get from the supermarkets. Luckily, Tesco have raised their craft beer game over the past couple of months and they've got some cracking beers that you'd easily pay over a fiver for a 330ml can in a bottle shop, but none in Tesco are more than £3.50.

So far i've drank:

Evil Twin - Wake up and smell the Gose: Breakfast gose with blueberries and salt. Really weird sounding, even weirder smelling and tasting. Sounds like it should be awful but I've had three cans of this and I still don't know if I really like it or not, haha. Brave of Tesco to stock this, though.

BrewDog USA vs Evil Twin - Roaster Coaster: Nitro Imperial Vietnamese Coffee Stout. A simply incredible stout, but given the two breweries involved it shouldn't be a surprise. Brewdog already do two great stouts in Jet Black Heart and Zombie Cake, this is sweeter than either of those (well we are talking Vietnamese Coffee here!) and the addition of nitro makes this such a smooth ride. Brilliant and more canned stouts should be nitro'd IMO.

Salt Beer Factory - Ikat DDH DIPA: An incredible DDH DIPA, fruity and smooth, best of the bunch

Vocation - Breakfast Club 2.0: They did a collab with Yeastie Boys last year which was a blueberry & Belgian waffle pastry stout, that was great but this solo release ramps up the fruitiness and is even smoother. Cracking stuff.

Vocation - Hop, Skip & Juice: Superb NEIPA, billed as a tropical Pale Ale, but they're not fooling anyone. This is juicy (duh) and smooth with a soft bitter finish.

Magic Rock/Salt Beer Factory - Ripe Times: Two superb Northern breweries come together on this NEIPA and it packs a punch with the bitter hops but they soon give way to the tropical fruit smoothiness that NEIPAs are known for. Was worried about this as I don't like my beers to be too high on the IBU scale but this was very, very good.

Vocation - Love & Hate: It's an NEIPA from one of my favourite breweries and again, they just happen to be from the North! Sadly this is a bit too bitter for my tastes, although it does have a very distinct mango flavour.

This weekend i'll also be having Northern Monk's Tropical World, which is a tropical smoothie Milkshake IPA, and a bottle of Franziskaner Weissbier Naturtrub, which is a Hefeweizen. I've only ever had one Hefeweizen before and that was from an American brewery, but it was very good so it'll be interesting to see how a genuine German one compares 🙂

NB: It's occurred to me that I should probably attach a glossary of sorts to this post, for those who don't know much about beer beyond Carling and Fosters existing 😛

Gose - Sour beer, German in origin. Brewed with salt water to give it a distinct taste.

DIPA - Double India Pale Ale. Basically a stronger version of an IPA, usually around 7-10% ABV

DDH - Double Dry Hopped. Adding more hops to the brewing process at a later stage, or using double the amount of hops than you would in standard brew. Makes the beer more bitter but most brewers balance this with fruity flavours (which I like)

NEIPA - New England India Pale Ale. Yes, this term makes no sense when you think about it. Basically it's a style of IPA where the beer is aggressively hopped, or unfiltered, giving it a cloudy, hazy appearance. My favourite style at the moment, even though the market peaked around a year ago.

IBU - International Bitterness Units. The amount of hops in a beer. The higher the rating, the more bitter the beer will be. Most DIPAs are around 70-100 IBUs. To compare, a bottle of Budweiser is about 5-10 IBUs.

Milkshake IPA - IPA brewed with lactose, gives the beer a very smooth, "milkshake" like texture. Often not as sweet as you'd imagine.

Hefeweizen - German "white" beer brewed with wheat instead of malted barley. Next to no bitterness and usually has tones of banana and cloves.

(I did originally consider making this post a separate thread in the off-topic section, but figured it probably wouldn't gather enough interest. However i'm always up for talking about beer so if anyone wants to move this there or start their own thread, i'd be fine with that!)

Edited by Denzel Zanzibar

Most evenings I have had a glass of red wine, a decent Merlot or Cab Sav.

Under normal circumstances I would only have drunk at the weekends so although it is only one glass (medium to large) I do wonder if I am over doing it!