oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

It will also be far easier when there are multiple vaccines available. I'm sure I read somewhere that Oxford University have already produced millions of doses of their vaccine in preparation for it being approved, so it can be distributed straightaway. Hopefully that'll be the point where all immunisation expands from care homes and GP surgeries into sports centres and community centres, and we have far more than one hundred thousand people being jabbed each week.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Although the figures we have available certainly point to it taking a long time. I think measures of capacity and efficiency, of the amount of people vaccinated will give us a better indication of how long it'll take. 

They (Hancock) released figures that showed 130k people were vaccinated in the first week, but how many doses did we have available at that stage, comparing that would be a good measure of efficiency. Then on top of that did those 130k take up our full capacity of vaccinations nationally, or is it that because we are targeting the most vulnerable, we haven't come close to max capacity. 

I think once we are past this initial stage of vaccinations of getting it to those that need it most, and we start to increase the amount of people eligible (for lack of a better term), we'll see higher numbers of people being vaccinated per week. If that makes sense?

At the moment many hospitals don’t have the vaccine. It’s currently being administered from about 50 hospital hubs. This number is expected to increase and so the vaccine will be more efficiently distributed. 
The vaccine takes less than a minute to administer but then there is paperwork and arranging a booking slot for the second dose as well as 15 minutes rest, to make sure there is no adverse reaction, this is simply sitting on a chair for 15 minutes before leaving, but it does slow things down. 
The flu vaccine is far more efficient at the moment, it’s a simple 20 second procedure.
I think the Oxford vaccine would be administered in a similar way when that gets approval. 

• Like 1

Although the figures we have available certainly point to it taking a long time. I think measures of capacity and efficiency, of the amount of people vaccinated will give us a better indication of how long it'll take. 

They (Hancock) released figures that showed 130k people were vaccinated in the first week, but how many doses did we have available at that stage, comparing that would be a good measure of efficiency. Then on top of that did those 130k take up our full capacity of vaccinations nationally, or is it that because we are targeting the most vulnerable, we haven't come close to max capacity. 

I think once we are past this initial stage of vaccinations of getting it to those that need it most, and we start to increase the amount of people eligible (for lack of a better term), we'll see higher numbers of people being vaccinated per week. If that makes sense?

I know, I was just being deliberately stupid. 

If it was going to take years then it would extremely worrying. I expect a large proportion to be done by the summer. 

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

It will also be far easier when there are multiple vaccines available. I'm sure I read somewhere that Oxford University have already produced millions of doses of their vaccine in preparation for it being approved, so it can be distributed straightaway. Hopefully that'll be the point where all immunisation expands from care homes and GP surgeries into sports centres and community centres, and we have far more than one hundred thousand people being jabbed each week.

Yes I think it'll speed up a lot when the oxford vaccine is approved (before xmas hopefully). It's easier to store and transport. 

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

At the moment many hospitals don’t have the vaccine. It’s currently being administered from about 50 hospital hubs. This number is expected to increase and so the vaccine will be more efficiently distributed. 
The vaccine takes less than a minute to administer but then there is paperwork and arranging a booking slot for the second dose as well as 15 minutes rest, to make sure there is no adverse reaction, this is simply sitting on a chair for 15 minutes before leaving, but it does slow things down. 
The flu vaccine is far more efficient at the moment, it’s a simple 20 second procedure.
I think the Oxford vaccine would be administered in a similar way when that gets approval. 

Doctors surgeries in Filey, Pickering and Malton have all been vaccinating this week. Presumably each surgery has had a full 975 dose pack. If small towns like this have been doing it, presumably the larger towns and cities all have at least one surgery/medical centre where it is being done

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I know, I was just being deliberately stupid. 

If it was going to take years then it would extremely worrying. I expect a large proportion to be done by the summer. 

Ah fair enough! 😂

Yeah would be worrying if was actually going to take 19 years! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It's so efficient they forgot to ask me if I was allergic to egg this year! 😮

Luckily I'm not, or unluckily (depending on who you ask).

It's so efficient they forgot to ask me if I was allergic to egg this year! 😮

Luckily I'm not, or unluckily (depending on who you ask).

Does the flu jag contain egg proteins? I didn't know that, and I also didn't know it was possible to be allergic to egg (though I suppose theoretically the body can be allergic to anything - I once heard Lisa Stansfield was allergic to her own saliva).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

Does the flu jag contain egg proteins? I didn't know that, and I also didn't know it was possible to be allergic to egg (though I suppose theoretically the body can be allergic to anything - I once heard Lisa Stansfield was allergic to her own saliva).

Lot's of medicines use albumin, one of the main proteins found in egg whites, because it can be adapted to be a carrier for a variety of different therapeutics and is digested and removed from the body very quickly after injection.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

That’s crazy. Imagine when you’ve been around the world and that’s what you’re allergic to 

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, Will said:

Lot's of medicines use albumin, one of the main proteins found in egg whites, because it can be adapted to be a carrier for a variety of different therapeutics and is digested and removed from the body very quickly after injection.

Albumin is the human protein isn't it? I though it was Ovalbumin (egg protein) that they use for vaccines, at least that's what I though?

Either way they are all very similar.

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

Does the flu jag contain egg proteins?

The vast majority of flu vaccinations are actually grown inside a chicken's egg, been that way for close to 80 years. There is a train of thought that growing it inside an egg is detrimental, as it exposes the virus to potential mutations.

On the vaccination timescale it will be another 80/20 principle with 20% causing 80% of the severe cases. Get the 20% jabbed first and the NHS will be in a far better position to cope and society can slowly get back to a new normal albeit with perhaps slightly higher sickness absences due to Covid still floating around. The containment of the virus has always been more to do with Hospitals being able to cope than anything else.

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

On the vaccination timescale it will be another 80/20 principle with 20% causing 80% of the severe cases. Get the 20% jabbed first and the NHS will be in a far better position to cope and society can slowly get back to a new normal albeit with perhaps slightly higher sickness absences due to Covid still floating around. The containment of the virus has always been more to do with Hospitals being able to cope than anything else.

You read about "super spreaders". I guess they are the 20%. Surely the problem though is that no-one knows who the 20% are - so you cant jab them first.

1 minute ago, ScarBoro said:

You read about "super spreaders". I guess they are the 20%. Surely the problem though is that no-one knows who the 20% are - so you cant jab them first.

The 20% will be the Hospital bed occupiers, most likely the over 60's. The teen, twenties and thirtysomethings will likely develop a herd immunity as they spread. Not morally ideal but I'm guessing thats the "unofficial" thinking.