oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

22 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Bugger indeed @Uwe!

Although can't say I'm surprised at all. Makes the decision to open up again on 3rd December (I think it was then) even more confusing.

don't know timeframes, did we have this new South African variant at that point?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Bugger indeed @Uwe!

Although can't say I'm surprised at all. Makes the decision to open up again on 3rd December (I think it was then) even more confusing.

Think the economy and mental health were driving factors behind opening up in the 3rd December. 
A lot of people had Christmas as a light at the end of the tunnel kind of goal so they could see family/loved ones. That’s what was keeping a lot of people going

18 minutes ago, Brunners said:

don't know timeframes, did we have this new South African variant at that point?

Think the South African variants is newer, but the UK variant they identified as being the main cause of cases in the south, was first picked up in September. They had significant evidence of it in November.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Think the economy and mental health were driving factors behind opening up in the 3rd December. 
A lot of people had Christmas as a light at the end of the tunnel kind of goal so they could see family/loved ones. That’s what was keeping a lot of people going

I get that there is a balance to strike, but again this kind of all goes back to the original lockdown. We are kind of bouncing from lockdown to lockdown because we never really got a grip of it in the first place. 

Hopefully we can really stick at this one, clamp down harder on the minority of people breaking the rules (they've had 2 chances now) and really ramp up the vaccination process. It's not ideal, but at least this time there is genuinely an exit out of this of sorts.

Respectfully disagree, @DanFromDownSouth. I think the overwhelming majority of people were very respectful of the first lockdown. Now, they're dog tired. Economically strained, mentally exhausted, emotionally drained, watching their children regress, and sick of the rules changing literally overnight.

There have always been a few selfish idiots throwing house parties and suchlike. They will have learned nothing since last March. However, a lot of people (including those I know who've lost friends and loved ones to Covid) are so punch drunk, they have reacted tonight with real anger. They simply don't feel a third lockdown is worth the price we're all collectively going to have to pay in the coming decades - especially when we now appear unable to administer more than a quarter of the vaccines we've endlessly been told were ready in their millions to be distributed as soon as they were approved. 

There comes a point where the cure is worse than the disease, and people are increasingly more worried about untreated cancer and other largely-sidelined non-Covid health conditions, suicide rates (a guy killed himself at the back of my house a fortnight ago), mental health issues, the damage being done to our kids and the cataclysmic debt mountain we're building up (all combined) than they are about the R number, or the fact only 70 people in the whole of Scotland were in ICU on Hogmanay with Covid.

Lose respect, and you lose support, and it's ebbing away faster and faster from the politicians with every U-turn and broken promise. Sad but true, as Metallica once sang.

• Like 2

Elite football shouldn't still be going on, especially if they're not regularly testing outside the Premier League. 

Chorley play Derby this weekend and I highly doubt they'll have done any testing.

Then you have PL teams playing lower league teams at their grounds, it's a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

clamp down harder on the minority of people breaking the rules

Isn't that where it all started to lose credibility and fall apart? The minority breaking the rues and being excused, even defended for doing so.

I listened to Boris this evening and honestly didn't know what tier we are now in or indeed if we are in any tiers at all any more. Are schools now shut or are they just open tomorrow and then closed on Wednesday to give Parents, Teachers and Child Minders etc. time to organise and sort out what facilities they have or can/cannot provide and what to do with the kids that literally have nowhere to go unless Mum or Dad or Grandparents step in tomorrow morning or tell their employers "sorry I'm dropping you right in it".

That Gavin "Orville" Williamson was told before Christmas that the school testing plan was a joke and farcical with zero chance of being either implemented or working just rubs salt in the wounds. Then we have Michael Gove who told us that he regularly drives to check his eyesight while sheepishly defending the arch breaker in chief Dominic Cummings. Throw in the "Forgotten"that Rishi has ignored who are now entering their tenth month without any earnings, income or furlough pay and you have to forgive me if I have a slightly jaundiced version of who the rule breakers really are or at least the definition of a rule breaker.

If they were on fire I would rather my bladder burst than waste my urine on them and that comes from someone who voted for them. I would guess that I am a lot more moderate and reasonable than many and therein lies the problem. Fooling some of the people some of the time only works for so long before people start to realise that he isn't the Messiah but just a very naughty Public Schoolboy desperately needing his Nanny to pull his drawers up from around his ankles. The proverbial in a brewery comes to  mind, if one was open that is.

• Like 2

@RiseAgainst That's kind of the point I was angling at. We shouldn't need a 3rd lockdown, but because the whole thing has been utterly mismanaged, we are at a point where we need one due to the critical care capacity being full in parts of England. 

All the very real health issues that have had to become sidelined (in a sense) are due to us never really getting a grip in the first place.

@Redcar Rioja I echo similar thoughts, the fact there are close to 3 million people in the UK entitled to zero economic support is ludicrous. Then the henchmen in Boris' cabinet are truly inept. From the point Cummins got away with his infractions was the exact point it became a free-for-all, the beaches on that May Bank Holiday weekend is testament to that.

• Like 2

Football wise, the gazette said there are rumours  the EFL might be going back to 2x a week testing.

It comes as reports claim the EFL will re-introduce twice a week testing at clubs in light of the recent national spike in covid cases.

While talks over regular testing continue, a round of mandatory tests for EFL clubs has long been scheduled for this week.

1 hour ago, Brunners said:

Football wise, the gazette said there are rumours  the EFL might be going back to 2x a week testing.

40 positive results in the latest round of PL tests. It’s madness for the EFL not to be testing twice a week considering there are games for the teams twice a week most weeks 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Blanco said:

40 positive results in the latest round of PL tests. It’s madness for the EFL not to be testing twice a week considering there are games for the teams twice a week most weeks 

And yet Elite football will continue...all about the money.

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

of course it is. Clubs are already struggling and would go bust if they're forced to shut up shop again.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

Costs clubs £10k a week for that much testing, that's the problem, clubs in our league and below think they can't afford it.

16 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I’ve changed my mind on this, now I think that even without crowds, lockdown will be easier for us football fans if there are matches to watch. 

I’m totally in favour of a full lockdown otherwise, but I do think that as long as players are tested and observe social distancing games should go ahead. Life is really boring without gigs, festivals and pubs, at least football gives us some enjoyment (most of the time).