oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

11 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

It is kind of weak. They were part of a pilot scheme that involved daily testing, rather than self-isolation, but caved in to opposition and public pressure.

Certainly not Freedom Day as far as I'm concerned. Not with infection rates the way they are. I'm still gonna be treating everyone else like they've got plague. 😁

I've been doing that for years...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

They did the best they could... 😛

Actually you neglected to mention they were part of a trial that meant they didn't need to isolate and involved daily testing instead. They tried it before when Hancock was still Health Secretary.

The U-turn was basically forced on them by Labour and others kicking up a stink about it.

Besides its not like there haven't been plenty of ordinary people ignoring the rules for ages.

All of them just happened to be randomly selected to be in the testing half of the pilot. Pull the other one.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Besides its not like there haven't been plenty of ordinary people ignoring the rules for ages.

They're not ordinary people though. They're the ones meant to be setting the rules and example for others to follow. If that example is to make *** up so you can continue as you want, why does it matter so much when others who look to them for guidance do the same?

They didn't do the best they could. They did the square root of *** all until it was already too late. Yet now when bad things happen, it's the ordinary people's fault for not following the rules that people in power want to consider themselves too privileged to follow.

I’m so happy it’s freedom day so I can get on with my normal life. 
I was just saying to my missus over the weekend when we were out at a restaurant for dinner (built up quite a appetite as is been to the gym earlier, she didn’t go as she went to see Weston Super Mare play) how much I’m looking forward to not having my liberties infringed 😉

• Haha 1
39 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

They didn't do the best they could. They did the square root of *** all until it was already too late.

I kind of agree but disagree with that. I actually think they did do the best they could. The problem for me is that collectively they are not the sharpest tools in the box. The intense coverage, never ending interviews and overexposure to the press and media generally on a daily basis showed just how poor value for money the country's "esteemed" educational establishments really are in turning out people fit to govern.

Just thinking of their names without bothering to list them is frightening in terms of incompetence and bull shine. Then we have the opposition which just qualifies as to how this lot managed to get into power. I hope going forward people really question who they vote for and do so with their heads and not any sense of misplaced historical loyalty. 

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I kind of agree but disagree with that. I actually think they did do the best they could. The problem for me is that collectively they are not the sharpest tools in the box. The intense coverage, never ending interviews and overexposure to the press and media generally on a daily basis showed just how poor value for money the country's "esteemed" educational establishments really are in turning out people fit to govern.

Just thinking of their names without bothering to list them is frightening in terms of incompetence and bull shine. Then we have the opposition which just qualifies as to how this lot managed to get into power. I hope going forward people really question who they vote for and do so with their heads and not any sense of misplaced historical loyalty. 

Think the problem is the pay. Off the top of my head a MP’s wages is about £80k per year then extra for ministerial positions held ie BJ gets another £80k-ish for being the PM per year. Anyone that went to a private school and considers themselves successful wouldn’t get out of bed for £160k Per annum, especially if you think about the hours they need to do and the level of scrutiny they are under. Pay peanuts get monkeys and we’re got some right monkeys in charge here. 

disclaimer: I know £160k per year is a lot of money to most (if not all) on here but running the country is pretty damn important imo, and I just don’t see how we’re attracting the best people to that job

• Like 1

Why on earth are Anti Lockdown Protestors on the streets of London today?

Can none of them read or have they not heard the news that Lockdown ended today? Looking at the state of them it would be understandable that maybe they can't read. It looks like most of them wanted a good protest and grievance to complain about and it was too late to change their placards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Why on earth are Anti Lockdown Protestors on the streets of London today?

Can none of them read or have they not heard the news that Lockdown ended today? Looking at the state of them it would be understandable that maybe they can't read. It looks like most of them wanted a good protest and grievance to complain about and it was too late to change their placards.

They might have been wanting to do it for months but they were under lockdown so they couldn't 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 3

I'm sorry but if we're gonna get on about money, I wouldn't be earning what I earn, which is a pittance on what they do, if I didn't take legitimate concerns seriously relative to the environment I work in. I'm not a business owner, I'm an employee but if I as an individual did something that was negligent and thus directly or indirectly harmful to the business I work for, to the point of there being a genuine crisis within the business because of that negligence, my job would ultimately be in question and I'd likely not be in it any more.

The bare minimum I expect in the early realms of a public health crisis is to take the threat seriously and try to understand it. If it overwhelms by its very nature before you're capable of even taking note of it then you can have some of my sympathy. But if you look at this virus and call it a scare story or the next swine flu as a Prime Minister or a Health Secretary, where a slip-up costs people lives, you can get in the bloody sea. It's not doing the best you can, it's not even trying to do the best you can.

It's being negligent and at the absolute bare minimum, we should be publicly putting the people involved in this process through a public inquiry to see and understand what they did and why things went the way they did. Not doing that is just as negligent because clearly right now whether we agree on whether they did the best they could or not, things went wrong and there should be an awful lot to learn from the process.

I pretty much agree with all that Wilson but the bottom line is that collectively they are thick and dense and have relied on the old boys network to cover their backsides in the past. This time however the challenge was overwhelming, beyond their capabilities and despite their best efforts there is nowhere now to hide for them, they have been caught with their trousers round their ankles (literally in some cases "allegedly").  In Forrest Gump parlance "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Could they learn from the process? I don't think so otherwise we wouldn't have had the farce of "we are not isolating, oh yes we are isolating after all" just yesterday. The longer it goes on the level of their ineptitude apparently has no bounds, any apology for them that it may initially have been privileged arrogance just can't cut it any more. Staggering, incredulous, unbelievable? the desired superlative just doesn't exist in the English language.

All an inquiry is going to do is tell us what we already know. In theory we elected them and come election time I hope people remember and like I said before, vote with their head regardless of political leanings. If your local candidate seems aloof, pompous or just full of it then look down the list. If you can't find one that has a discernible i.q. don't vote for any of them. A record turn out but with a record low level of votes cast may just get the message across, although thinking about it trying to explain that to the Commons would be like Father Ted explaining to Dougal about the size of Cows being roughly the same but big cows are closest and the small ones are farther away.

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm sorry but if we're gonna get on about money, I wouldn't be earning what I earn, which is a pittance on what they do, if I didn't take legitimate concerns seriously relative to the environment I work in. I'm not a business owner, I'm an employee but if I as an individual did something that was negligent and thus directly or indirectly harmful to the business I work for, to the point of there being a genuine crisis within the business because of that negligence, my job would ultimately be in question and I'd likely not be in it any more.

The bare minimum I expect in the early realms of a public health crisis is to take the threat seriously and try to understand it. If it overwhelms by its very nature before you're capable of even taking note of it then you can have some of my sympathy. But if you look at this virus and call it a scare story or the next swine flu as a Prime Minister or a Health Secretary, where a slip-up costs people lives, you can get in the bloody sea. It's not doing the best you can, it's not even trying to do the best you can.

It's being negligent and at the absolute bare minimum, we should be publicly putting the people involved in this process through a public inquiry to see and understand what they did and why things went the way they did. Not doing that is just as negligent because clearly right now whether we agree on whether they did the best they could or not, things went wrong and there should be an awful lot to learn from the process.

Who you telling to get in the sea?

My point is. The money is not good enough for competent people to be interested in that’s why we have clowns doing the job not sure what we are disagreeing on here 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I pretty much agree with all that Wilson but the bottom line is that collectively they are thick and dense and have relied on the old boys network to cover their backsides in the past. This time however the challenge was overwhelming, beyond their capabilities and despite their best efforts there is nowhere now to hide for them, they have been caught with their trousers round their ankles (literally in some cases "allegedly").  In Forrest Gump parlance "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Could they learn from the process? I don't think so otherwise we wouldn't have had the farce of "we are not isolating, oh yes we are isolating after all" just yesterday. The longer it goes on the level of their ineptitude apparently has no bounds, any apology for them that it may initially have been privileged arrogance just can't cut it any more. Staggering, incredulous, unbelievable? the desired superlative just doesn't exist in the English language.

All an inquiry is going to do is tell us what we already know. In theory we elected them and come election time I hope people remember and like I said before, vote with their head regardless of political leanings. If your local candidate seems aloof, pompous or just full of it then look down the list. If you can't find one that has a discernible i.q. don't vote for any of them. A record turn out but with a record low level of votes cast may just get the message across, although thinking about it trying to explain that to the Commons would be like Father Ted explaining to Dougal about the size of Cows being roughly the same but big cows are closest and the small ones are farther away.

Still one of the all time greats of comedy genius 😂

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Who you telling to get in the sea?

My point is. The money is not good enough for competent people to be interested in that’s why we have clowns doing the job not sure what we are disagreeing on here 🤷‍♂️

I'm telling the people who responded to a potential health crisis in that manner to get in the sea.

I very much disagree that we need to offer someone more than £160k a year to have them look at a developing worldwide health crisis and say something other than it is a scare story. Why should it cost more than that to do the most basic of due diligence, to understand this situation beyond that level of naivete as a minimum expectation to protect people's lives?

Forget the Prime Minister if you must, the cabinet ministers don't earn much less than that but they are tasked with dealing with specific areas of society. Now, do we think that the Prime Minister has been suitably informed by the Health Secretary, whose remit includes 'Matters concerning England's national public health' and 'Relations with international health partnerships', if he's sat saying this is a scare story or another swine flu?

26 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

All an inquiry is going to do is tell us what we already know.

It might do nothing, it might do something but at the very least it should serve as a public retrospective of what happened and why and serve to hopefully prove why the country will deal with this kind of situation better in future.