oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

they've been the least worst option for the last few years.

That just sums up how we have the Government that we now have and the standard of Opposition which has been woeful for years and seemingly not improving under Starmer.

We are bleedin awful, but look them lot over there are even worserer than what we is!

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

Guys  if we had ignored the virus and continued as normal we'd have lost between 600,000 and 450,000 people to death from it.  Those are very sobering numbers

It is difficult to argue that doing nothing was an acceptable strategy

We are a relatively small and crowded island.  A total shut down was not realistic - people have to eat

Broadly speaking the government by its actions has therefore saved 250,000 at least and maybe 400,000 lives

That has to be regarded as a success

Just now, Rishworthian said:

Guys  if we had ignored the virus and continued as normal we'd have lost between 600,000 and 450,000 people to death from it.  Those are very sobering numbers

It is difficult to argue that doing nothing was an acceptable strategy

We are a relatively small and crowded island.  A total shut down was not realistic - people have to eat

Broadly speaking the government by its actions has therefore saved 250,000 at least and maybe 400,000 lives

That has to be regarded as a success

Comparing what we did to if we'd just ignored it is not really a reasonable way of describing what we did as a success, is it?

If Marcus Bettinelli and Jordan Archer had stood off to the side and allowed all the shots on target to go in the goal, we'd have conceded 138 goals last season. So technically, having them actually in the goal and trying to prevent it saved us 85 of those efforts, that has to be regarded as a success!

• Haha 4

For me, the only success the government can claim is the vaccination rate

Everything else has been an absolute shambles, full of ineptitude and corruption

• Like 2

Problem is you have to balance keeping people alive while also keeping the country afloat. The country couldn't afford to stay locked down for much longer and the lock down was causing many people to suffer in other ways than with covid. 

My granddad died because his pacemaker replacement surgery was cancelled thanks to the lockdowns, for example, and I won't be the only one.

• Like 1
Just now, Brunners said:

Problem is you have to balance keeping people alive while also keeping the country afloat. The country couldn't afford to stay locked down for much longer and the lock down was causing many people to suffer in other ways than with covid. 

My granddad died because his pacemaker replacement surgery was cancelled thanks to the lockdowns, for example, and I won't be the only one.

That's a dreadful thing mate and I'm really sincerely sorry for your loss.

But I still believe that comes from the negligent early response from early on. Earlier action, taking it seriously from the start could have prevented this situation where we were haphazardly trying to manage it through more relatively ineffective lockdowns. We were constantly 2-3 weeks behind and playing catch-up and that forced plenty of people into a similar situation to yours. We essentially hit a point of no return and had to do this bouncing in and out of lockdown until we got a vaccine.

God knows how many people without COVID this has killed and I think you and your family deserve to understand the full effects of the decisions taken throughout, just as those who have family lost to COVID do.

• Like 1
Just now, wilsoncgp said:

That's a dreadful thing mate and I'm really sincerely sorry for your loss.

But I still believe that comes from the negligent early response from early on. Earlier action, taking it seriously from the start could have prevented this situation where we were haphazardly trying to manage it through more relatively ineffective lockdowns. We were constantly 2-3 weeks behind and playing catch-up and that forced plenty of people into a similar situation to yours. We essentially hit a point of no return and had to do this bouncing in and out of lockdown until we got a vaccine.

God knows how many people without COVID this has killed and I think you and your family deserve to understand the full effects of the decisions taken throughout, just as those who have family lost to COVID do.

You could be right there; I don't know enough really to say either way. You could well be right that early on we should have done better.

I might not be the brightest person but it felt like there were some really simple solutions that were not used before and after the virus started raging. 

We could have locked down quicker, we were allowing people to come into the country through busy airports with no testing or isolation required for foreign visitors, we were too slow to lockdown last autumn, we allowed thousands in from India when we knew about the delta variant, we've reopened society now without putting in place measures to control spread (masks/ social distancing, limiting crowd numbers). 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but none of those things are rocket science, it just required a bit of caution and foresight. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

We are a relatively small and crowded island. 

It's not really much to do with the rest of your point, but this always annoys me.

Great Britain is one of the biggest islands in the world.

We are not a small island.

We are a relatively small country, but for an island  we are very large.

1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's not really much to do with the rest of your point, but this always annoys me.

Great Britain is one of the biggest islands in the world.

We are not a small island.

We are a relatively small country, but for an island  we are very large.

Over twice the population of Australia though, and that's a huge island.

53 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I might not be the brightest person but it felt like there were some really simple solutions that were not used before and after the virus started raging. 

We could have locked down quicker, we were allowing people to come into the country through busy airports with no testing or isolation required for foreign visitors, we were too slow to lockdown last autumn, we allowed thousands in from India when we knew about the delta variant, we've reopened society now without putting in place measures to control spread (masks/ social distancing, limiting crowd numbers). 

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things but none of those things are rocket science, it just required a bit of caution and foresight. 

A lot of the airport stuff has seemed weird to me. 

Even recently they were letting people coming in from red countries mingle with people coming in from green countries, if I recall correctly. That just seems totally backwards.

Guys

The basic point is if you save about 250,000 - 400,000 lives it has to be regarded as a success

It really doesn't matter what they got wrong and undoubtedly they did get things wrong and probably still are. 

Lives are irreplaceable,  within reason cost is irrelevant

3 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Guys

The basic point is if you save about 250,000 - 400,000 lives it has to be regarded as a success

It really doesn't matter what they got wrong and undoubtedly they did get things wrong and probably still are. 

Lives are irreplaceable,  within reason cost is irrelevant

Could have saved a lot more lives if we'd closed our borders though, couldn't we

• Like 2

DZ Hindsight is a wonderful skill/science as it is always right

There were probably several things that could have done sooner or better but we didn't know what was going on around us - some things were bound to go wrong.  Some would have been panic, some stupidity,  some jobs for the "boys"

It is impossible to get away from the saving or protection of huge number of lives is a good thing

8 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

DZ Hindsight is a wonderful skill/science as it is always right

There were probably several things that could have done sooner or better but we didn't know what was going on around us - some things were bound to go wrong.  Some would have been panic, some stupidity,  some jobs for the "boys"

It is impossible to get away from the saving or protection of huge number of lives is a good thing

Literally everything that happened here was happening in Italy 2-3 weeks before us. We had hindsight before the damn things even happened. And yet the UK still managed to surpass most other nations who had it first. 

• Like 2