oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

14 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

DZ Hindsight is a wonderful skill/science as it is always right

There were probably several things that could have done sooner or better but we didn't know what was going on around us - some things were bound to go wrong.  Some would have been panic, some stupidity,  some jobs for the "boys"

It is impossible to get away from the saving or protection of huge number of lives is a good thing

Lmao as NB has just said, Italy had it 2-3 weeks beforehand, with people dying left right and centre. A competent government would have looked at that and immediately closed borders and ordered the country into lockdown but nah, Boris and the Tories didn't want to take the least popular (but most effective) option.

Oh and let's not forget the COBRA meetings about it that not only did Boris not attend, him and his party also totally ignored all advice given to them by WHO during them.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

Guys

The basic point is if you save about 250,000 - 400,000 lives it has to be regarded as a success

It really doesn't matter what they got wrong and undoubtedly they did get things wrong and probably still are. 

Lives are irreplaceable,  within reason cost is irrelevant

No it doesn't? Doing better than doing absolutely nothing is not success or anything to be proud of.

2 minutes ago, Rishworthian said:

I suppose I should be grateful that no one disagreed with "lives are irreplaceable"

And by your measure losing over 100,000 of them should be considered success because it wasn't 450,000

7 minutes ago, Will said:

And by your measure losing over 100,000 of them should be considered success because it wasn't 450,000

One problem is that I don't think we can easily trust the numbers. I'm sure we all know that people dying with C19 isn't the same as people dying with C19 being the cause or even a significant factor plus as far as I'm aware flu deaths have been counted in with C19 too. I'm sure they announced that some time ago. One measure of the impact of C19 is excess deaths and that is complex as it will include those dying of various things they should have survived if appointments and diagnosis hadn't been delayed or people topping themselves or murdering others due to increased stresses.

I do think that one problem with C19 is that it's been politicised.

1 hour ago, Woof Woof said:

One problem is that I don't think we can easily trust the numbers. I'm sure we all know that people dying with C19 isn't the same as people dying with C19 being the cause or even a significant factor plus as far as I'm aware flu deaths have been counted in with C19 too. I'm sure they announced that some time ago. One measure of the impact of C19 is excess deaths and that is complex as it will include those dying of various things they should have survived if appointments and diagnosis hadn't been delayed or people topping themselves or murdering others due to increased stresses.

I do think that one problem with C19 is that it's been politicised.

What, you want to keep politics out of Public Health now, too? 😕

1 hour ago, Rishworthian said:

I suppose I should be grateful that no one disagreed with "lives are irreplaceable"

I don't understand how you could even possibly sit and think during a debate about what our government did right/wrong during a Public Health crisis has to do with anything other than the health of the country and, by extension, loss of life. Those who died, their lives are irreplaceable too.

Just because we did more than nothing doesn't mean we couldn't have done more than that. Just because we might have prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths by reacting to the situation doesn't mean we couldn't have saved plenty more by reacting better. Those who have been saved by a vaccine, our health service, or even our government's decisions at times during this pandemic, yes, we can be thankful for that. But we can do that whilst asking why so many people did lose their lives.

We can and in my eyes should still look at those who were lost and ask if our government had a part to play in that. Was negligence a factor here? People, governments are fallible and even if we aren't angry about what's happened, we should always be inquisitive. Even if we believe our government did the best it could, we're talking about something that is the first time we have really experienced this kind of thing in our country for generations and should be retrospectively analysed with the benefit of making sure it doesn't happen on the same scale again.

I have made an error I should have said "excess deaths".  In any year we will have a number of residual deaths.  They happen every year - they can be Flu , heart disease stroke, diabetes and all the usual subjects.  Try as we might these will continue to happen - life has a finite span

I was trying to point out that Covid had a % death rate which would have meant a substantial death toll.

Every unnecessary death is a tragedy.  Life is precious

I 'll  remain factual and say that I had my second one in very early April

I don't know if you'd noticed we were having new cases in the upper 40,000 per day last week.  Today it was only 31k.  I hope that will continue dropping at a similar rate as to when it went up and that hospital admissions and deaths show a similar sharp decline

It will be interesting to see if the final reopening of most things distorts the decline - lets hope not

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Rishworthian said:

I don't know if you'd noticed we were having new cases in the upper 40,000 per day last week.  Today it was only 31k. 

I think (could be wrong) it's dropped 3 consecutive days now. As you say hopefully that trend continues and hopefully it's not a case of under reporting either!