oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

Just now, RiseAgainst said:

The problem with all this - and the reason I rarely comment on it - is we live in a post-truth world where my opinion is worth more than your fact. Trying to persuade people holding an opposing perspective on social media that they're wrong by using stats and expert opinions is like trying to nail jelly to the ceiling. Stats lie, expert opinions are worthless if they're in opposition to yours, and authorities are all 'in on it'.  I suspect vaccine passports are proof positive to some anti-vaxxers that this was a giant State-level conspiracy all along.

Ultimately, it's hard to argue against the intrinsic right to decide what is or isn't put into our own bodies. I'm double jabbed and quite happy about it, but I know people who aren't, and that's their choice. Selfish perhaps, risky and even irresponsible, but still their choice. 

I'd care less about the 'choice' aspect if people acknowledged the right for the scientific consensus on vaccines to take hold of the narrative and determine the consequences of not being vaccinated. People don't want to be vaccinated but more importantly, they want to live their life the exact same way as the rest of us who are getting the jab for the greater good of society as much as ourselves.

Vaccine passports are murky but what choice do we have in a society where 20% of people won't get vaccinated? Do we allow their choice to shape and dictate the lives of the vulnerable few, creating a bigger gap between an ordinary life from vulnerable people and the people who are genuinely privileged to just be born healthier than them? Or do we respond with judgement of their choice and limit those privileged to have the choice but refusing to take it? I guess it depends on how much of a danger we see them to be and I suspect we'll see how this develops over the next few months.

It would be a drastic change but just off the top of my head (I could be being daft TBF) I don't mind the idea of a private approach, giving people/businesses the legal right to demand vaccination status to enter their premises, for example, rather than having the government dictate where vaccine passports are required? It would require us to take seriously those who are exempt and perhaps expand the nature of exemption to be as fair as possible but for example, I work in an office that probably can't be expected to maintain the levels of airflow to reduce the risk of transmission at all times of the year so if we want to reduce the risk of COVID spreading, we have to do it in other ways.

Right now, businesses in our industry are worried because there is absolutely zero legal precedent to enforce vaccinations to protect their staff and I'm pretty sure you can't legally request someone's vaccination status due to data protection laws. Everyone who wants to take a strong stance seems to be playing it by ear and hoping for the best because they can't do anything else.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

I've given up even bothering to discuss it with people. Fair enough choose to not have it, but then don't bemoan other people exercising their right to freedom of choice by limiting unvaccinated folk. I say that with a heavy caveat of not including those that medically cannot have the vaccine.

Just be safe in the knowledge that nearly 88% of over-16's have had one dose, and 78% have had both.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Considering these vaccines were developed in a hurry and only had the bare minimum of clinical trials before being approved, I don't think thats too shabby.

Just to correct you, they've had the exact same clinical trials as any other vaccine. In some cases they trialled it on more people than they'd normally trial vaccines on.

The only difference with these vaccines is that all the normal hurdles of bureaucracy and lack of funding have been completely removed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 9/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just to correct you, they've had the exact same clinical trials as any other vaccine. In some cases they trialled it on more people than they'd normally trial vaccines on.

The only difference with these vaccines is that all the normal hurdles of bureaucracy and lack of funding have been completely removed.

Thanks - I was under the impression that the clinical trials had been massively sped up. I was aware that the usual bureaucratic gates had been removed, but thought this meant some of the usual medical protocols had also been suspended.

Not to say that they were cutting corners to the point of being unsafe, but since these things usually take years, I figured they had found ways to dispense with a lot of stuff they would normally do.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thanks - I was under the impression that the clinical trials had been massively sped up. I was aware that the usual bureaucratic gates had been removed, but thought this meant some of the usual medical protocols had also been suspended.

Not to say that they were cutting corners to the point of being unsafe, but since these things usually take years, I figured they had found ways to dispense with a lot of stuff they would normally do.

It's amazing what you can achieve when the people with the money and power want it done. 😉

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

As someone who works in this industry it's been both uplifting and incredibly frustrating to see how much can get done when the money men loosen the purse strings a bit. Uplifting in the sense that it proves how good and effective we as a species can be when met with unprecedented challenges. Uplifting also in the sense that it proves me and others in the industry right who have been frustrated for years about how large companies stifle innovation because they balance all decisions against their shareholders interests (which is obviously their right). 

The frustration comes from the fact that nothing will change. Everyone has seen the incredible work that can be done when the barriers of funding are taken away, just how fast things can be brought to market if the desire is there, and yet nothing will change.

Edited by Will
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Will said:

As someone who works in this industry it's been both uplifting and incredibly frustrating to see how much can get done when the money men loosen the purse strings a bit. Uplifting in the sense that it proves how good and effective we as a species can be when met with unprecedented challenges. Uplifting also in the sense that it proves me and others in the industry right who have been frustrated for years about how large companies stifle innovation because they balance all decisions against their shareholders interests (which is obviously their right). 

The frustration comes from the fact that nothing will change. Everyone has seen the incredible work that can be done when the barriers of funding are taken away, just how fast things can be brought to market if the desire is there, and yet nothing will change.

One of the things I'm quite excited by is the fact that after years of research, the mRNA technology has come of age. Since the success of the coronavirus vaccines I've already heard that they're getting close to vaccine trials for HIV, malaria, some cancers and even allergic asthma.

Some very cool technology which will transform the world in years to come. 

• Like 4
  • Wow 1