Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Suspend the season for a period of time and then play it out if/when things settle down over the summer.  Delay Euro 2020 until next summer.  The players will still be getting time off, it'll just be now instead of June so that shouldn't be too much of a problem and Euro 2020 is spread around so any financial burden of it being postponed until next summer won't fall on one country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51859548

I'm an influential man 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Suspend the season for a period of time and then play it out if/when things settle down over the summer.  Delay Euro 2020 until next summer.  The players will still be getting time off, it'll just be now instead of June so that shouldn't be too much of a problem and Euro 2020 is spread around so any financial burden of it being postponed until next summer won't fall on one country.

Sensible suggestion for once

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

Either that or Aleksander Ceferin's PA. 😜

 

In related news the Australian Grand Prix has been cancelled. Looks as though the F1 season won't start until the Dutch GP (1st May) at the earliest.

WHO has officially designated coronavirus as a pandemic.

Various countries closing their borders, Ireland closing academic institutions and restricting travel.

I think sporting schedules are going to be way down the priority list when it comes to maintaining any semblance of normality (though in my little corner of the world, life goes on as normal...for now...).

 

Edited by AnglianRed
Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL about to suspend season for at least 3 weeks. NBA has as well. MLB is likely delaying season start. KHL still going on with their hockey playoffs.

 

So the Premier League and lower levels there still haven't officially suspended? Its interesting they haven't done so and cancelled the games including this week. Shut it down for 30 days and see if you can resume the season. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

NHL about to suspend season for at least 3 weeks. NBA has as well. MLB is likely delaying season start. KHL still going on with their hockey playoffs.

 

So the Premier League and lower levels there still haven't officially suspended? Its interesting they haven't done so and cancelled the games including this week. Shut it down for 30 days and see if you can resume the season. 

 

They say that the science doesn't support it at this stage and they don't want to take those kinds of measures too early.  It won't be long though I reckon, it's just a question of numbers.  They are asking people who have any symptoms to stay at home for at least 7 days.  I think what they are trying to do is keep as many resources free for the most serious cases as possible and for everyone else to just get through it at home basically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, boro_fan_in_brum said:

I'm no spring chicken mate.  I'm just not a sheep, opinions are like *** holes.  We all have one.  But if anyone disagrees with your opinion on here then you are branded a fool

This will not be tolerated and apologies if you were called that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats interesting.... The NBA was going to play without fans yesterday morning and it only took 1 player to become infected to change course in 10 hrs and suspend the season. NHL is suspending without a confirmed case to be cautious. But these soccer leagues who have many more players confirmed still feel it isnt necessary at this time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the inaction of the government is quite shocking to be honest. Are people really going to follow 7 days of isolation as soon as they get a cough or fever? I highly doubt this and it’ll more than likely do nothing to slow the spread of the virus

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

They say that the science doesn't support it at this stage and they don't want to take those kinds of measures too early.  It won't be long though I reckon, it's just a question of numbers.  They are asking people who have any symptoms to stay at home for at least 7 days.  I think what they are trying to do is keep as many resources free for the most serious cases as possible and for everyone else to just get through it at home basically.

Yet the science in almost every country does support it.. if they hadnt spent 10 years cutting those very resources we would be much more prepared for this and wed be able to take precautions now to protect our vulnerable citizens. Whole thing is a disgrace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

I think the inaction of the government is quite shocking to be honest. Are people really going to follow 7 days of isolation as soon as they get a cough or fever? I highly doubt this and it’ll more than likely do nothing to slow the spread of the virus

What exactly are the government supposed to do if the people don't follow their advice?

I'm not a Tory voter and never have been, those who have seen my political rants on the occasion they come out will know that. But BJ has just stood up flanked by two of the highest ranking medical officers in the country and allowed them the opportunity to drive our country's strategy. I don't quite know why anyone in their right mind would look at the two men standing by his side and think they're not making the right call based on the best of their knowledge. We should listen to them because if we can't trust those 2, who the sodding hell can we trust?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

Thats interesting.... The NBA was going to play without fans yesterday morning and it only took 1 player to become infected to change course in 10 hrs and suspend the season. NHL is suspending without a confirmed case to be cautious. But these soccer leagues who have many more players confirmed still feel it isnt necessary at this time. 

Did you see the thing about the Utah Jazz player who came into a press conference and rubbed all the journos microphones, before finding out he himself was infected? What a bell end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Yet the science in almost every country does support it.. if they hadnt spent 10 years cutting those very resources we would be much more prepared for this and wed be able to take precautions now to protect our vulnerable citizens. Whole thing is a disgrace.

I am truly there with you on that point but we are where we are and we have to listen to the experts in how to move forward. As mentioned earlier, the time to take down those responsible for what has happened and what will happen is going to come. Now is unfortunately not that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Latest Posts

    • Forget fancy Dan formations this squad is crying out for 442 two fast wingers ,Crooks and Tav in the middle ,a solid stay at home defenders ,find a goalie were all set.
    • Judging by the melt down on here, FMTTM, plus comments in the Gazette, Warnock is walking a tightrope. Anything less than a sterling display v Reading will seal his fate. A live match to ponder the teams short comings with NW's histrionics on the sideline will leave a lot of unhappy campers. Hopefully the team and Warnock are up to the challenge. UTB.
    • It’s not like they’d make a secret plan to get warnock to quit. The guy meant Scott will get on with the job he’s tasked to do, he will want to make an impression and get things going ASAP. His interference will probably annoy warnock who will most likely walk if results carry on as they are.  If gibson didn’t want Scott to throw his weight about and make certain decisions then he wouldn’t have employed him. Equally if gibson hadn’t given/promised Scott certain responsibilities then he probably wouldn’t have took the job. He isn’t just here to be a scout.
    • I think you are reading and interpreting what you want to get angry about rather than what i actually said. I expect every manager to have his approval on all signings even Warnock, even though he wont be here in a years time. Peltier was signed as cover for Fisher who we knew was out for a long while, we absolutely needed him. He clearly can plug a gap, not ideal, but he did ok at LB. we absolutely needed another CB. McNair is useless in a back 4 but ok in a back 3. Like I say, I expect every manager to plan for their team and have their approval over the choice of an owner. As for Scott, we have no way of knowing how successful he will be, what his Job description is or how much autonomy he will have, you are peeing in the wind if you hazard an answer. Gibson has always been hands on,, i don’t see that changing sadly. Since 2006 the owners vision has been wrong more than right, as have his appointments. Don’t take that to mean I am ungrateful for his efforts, without him, we’d not have a club, but goodness me he is due a right decision. I know he is trying his utmost but is having to do so with an imbalanced squad. He does not sign players, that isn’t his job it is Gibson and Bausor that do a deal or walk away. They have tried hard to fix the final third with more pace, flair and finishing, unfortunately the defence has been holed as a result.    I am not suggesting Spence and Coulson were great players, but they are better than nothing. Are you suggesting Warnock prefers Jones as a LB to Coulson? He doesn’t, he is having to make do and mend.  We have no holding midfielder. Howson is doing a job but it is not his best position. He is not refusing to sign foreign left backs at all, you are spinning his comments. He said they haven’t found anyone that fits the bill after being unable to fund UK based LB’s. Why you interpret it as a refusal is odd when he had no say over Morsy and some other signings is beyond silly. Getting a player to agree to come knowing they are going to be mere cover, from abroad especially, in a pandemic too, when you have no money, will not be a doddle, it isn’t like a pic and mix at the cinema.    Get off his back and support his efforts for now, he is not trying to set us up to fail, he has the best record of any manager in the league, but that was with his mix of players, blame the players for their part in the poor performances too and the goals we concede. Warnock deserves some criticism but it needs to be for his failures, not those of others. You can rejoice his departure come May which isn’t long for you to wait. 
    • Then it's not all about Scott. It'll never be all about anyone else with Gibson around. Scott undoubtedly doesn't want Warnock as manager to begin with, it doesn't fit with anything he's been involved in previously. Regardless though, Gibson isn't going to *** off his mate Warnock, he's not going to let someone dictate to Warnock how to do his job, and the idea that they'd try and annoy Warnock into quitting is ridiculous.

×
×
  • Create New...