oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

17 minutes ago, Blanco said:

10 weeks? I thought it had to happen 3-4 weeks after the first for it to be effective? What is the official thought on that @BearSmog?

A week or so ago they upped the waiting to 12 weeks, I think because the Oxford vaccine has data suggesting that's okay with theirs. Pfizer (from what I remember) said they don't have any science that proves one way or the other the efficacy after one dose.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

A week or so ago they upped the waiting to 12 weeks, I think because the Oxford vaccine has data suggesting that's okay with theirs. Pfizer (from what I remember) said they don't have any science that proves one way or the other the efficacy after one dose.

Think the Oxford one has data to show it might be more effective to leave it longer, between the first and second dose, which is a bonus.

2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think the Oxford one has data to show it might be more effective to leave it longer, between the first and second dose, which is a bonus.

Yeah I knew there was something like that but couldn't remember the specifics!

Isn’t it because data shows that after 10 days from the first jab it’s something like 91% safe, so you might as well wait 10-12 weeks with the second allowing more people to get the first jab. 

Genuinely didn’t hear anything about the longer time for the second jab. I really hope it’s true and not another Boris/Tory BS on the people 

Can someone tell me how many people have downloaded the NHS track and trace app. I’ve had a quick search and can’t see anything more than 10 million but that was data published in September 

38 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Genuinely didn’t hear anything about the longer time for the second jab. I really hope it’s true and not another Boris/Tory BS on the people 

It's not the ideal choice but it means more people get partial coverage instead of just some people getting full coverage.

If we had enough vaccine ready for 67 million people, I expect they'd be sticking with the 21 days.

I was very sceptical too, and still am, but even the World Health Organisation are recommending it in difficult situations now, though not to the same time gap as the UK is. Sounds like Germany might be following suit too.

Edited by TeaCider24
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's not the ideal choice but it means more people get partial coverage instead of just some people getting full coverage.

If we had enough vaccine ready for 67 million people, I expect they'd be sticking with the 21 days.

Even the World Health Organisation are recommending it in difficult situations now, though not to the time gap the UK are.

Fair play @TeaCider24 I appreciate the response but o really do worry about the attitude of partial coverage. Surely it’s got to be all or nothing? Nothing personal here at all 

10 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Fair play @TeaCider24 I appreciate the response but o really do worry about the attitude of partial coverage. Surely it’s got to be all or nothing? Nothing personal here at all 

Probably just panic from the government, we're one of the worst impacted countries in the world and our death toll is only going to rise in the coming days, a great deal of which is down to their own incompetence.

Our highest number of deaths since the pandemic began was today.

If their predictions are right, the majority of people will be fully vaccinated by the summer, and I can only hope that for once they are.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Isn’t it because data shows that after 10 days from the first jab it’s something like 91% safe, so you might as well wait 10-12 weeks with the second allowing more people to get the first jab. 

I can't remember the exact specifics off the top of my head, but I'm sure after the initial dose of the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines, it is basically 100% effective at preventing serious symptoms of COVID. I seem to remember @boro-unger mentioning something along those lines too. 

As you say it makes sense to give as many vulnerable people that initial dose as possible to limit the hospital admissions and ultimately deaths too.

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I think the Oxford vaccine has actual scientific evidence to back up leaving a longer gap between first and second doses.

The Moderna vaccine was also approved today (8th). Uses the same science as the Pfizer vaccine, so it's an mRNA vaccine, rather than the "standard" vaccines (The Oxford one is a standard one too) that have been used in the past, for other viruses.

8 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I can't remember the exact specifics off the top of my head, but I'm sure after the initial dose of the Pfizer and Oxford vaccines, it is basically 100% effective at preventing serious symptoms of COVID. I seem to remember @boro-unger mentioning something along those lines too. 

As you say it makes sense to give as many vulnerable people that initial dose as possible to limit the hospital admissions and ultimately deaths too.

Yes indeed. As the paper in the lancet states:

"From 21 days after the first dose, there were ten cases hospitalised for COVID-19, all in the control arm" (who got saline or an older non-covid vaccine in their jab).

There is also a table in the paper which shows the hospitalisations and serious cases of covid:

20210109_083511.thumb.jpg.cdeb2c7d6165d975c7e07c86b5bb7437.jpg

I think the call to focus on giving more people one shot is a good one based on this evidence. The second shot being given later should still boost the immunity and give longer lasting protection. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32661-1/fulltext

• Like 1

Plus, im doing my own little clinical trial. My grandad has had both his pfizer doses 3 weeks apart and my grandma has had her first and is getting the second 8 weeks later. Pretty small sample size, but I'll see if theres any difference between them 😄

• Haha 1

Thanks for the information everyone. There has been no mention of a longer gap being as successful over here so I have been educated on the matter somewhat 👍

• Like 1