Jump to content
oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

On 7/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, wilsoncgp said:

They're not ordinary people though. They're the ones meant to be setting the rules and example for others to follow. If that example is to make *** up so you can continue as you want, why does it matter so much when others who look to them for guidance do the same?

They didn't do the best they could. They did the square root of *** all until it was already too late. Yet now when bad things happen, it's the ordinary people's fault for not following the rules that people in power want to consider themselves too privileged to follow.

Thats about the most one-eyed view you could possibly have. You sound like a dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporter.

The government have mostly done a pretty decent job.

Their main mistake (other than the PPE supplies and timing of restrictions) was placing too much faith in the public actually following the guidance and acting sensibly.

Did you want or expect to see the police and Army on every street corner, enforcing the rules? Imagine the *** storm that would have happened if they'd gone down that route.

If more people had actually done what they were supposed to, the death toll could have been considerably lower. 

Don't try to tell me Starmer and his crew would have done a better job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 11:57 AM, Will said:

All of them just happened to be randomly selected to be in the testing half of the pilot. Pull the other one.

How do you know they weren't?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats about the most one-eyed view you could possibly have. You sound like a dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporter.

The government have mostly done a pretty decent job.

Their main mistake (other than the PPE supplies and timing of restrictions) was placing too much faith in the public actually following the guidance and acting sensibly.

Did you want or expect to see the police and Army on every street corner, enforcing the rules? Imagine the *** storm that would have happened if they'd gone down that route.

If more people had actually done what they were supposed to, the death toll could have been considerably lower. 

Don't try to tell me Starmer and his crew would have done a better job.

1. They really, REALLY haven't.

2. There'd have been much fewer deaths and infections if we had gone down that route. But it would make Boris and the Tories unpopular and oh god we can't have that so let's open everything up way too early and kill a bunch more pensioners and vulnerable people

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

How do you know they weren't?

I don't, but I literally have no reason to trust a word they say.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 1:58 PM, Redcar Rioja said:

I kind of agree but disagree with that. I actually think they did do the best they could. The problem for me is that collectively they are not the sharpest tools in the box. The intense coverage, never ending interviews and overexposure to the press and media generally on a daily basis showed just how poor value for money the country's "esteemed" educational establishments really are in turning out people fit to govern.

Just thinking of their names without bothering to list them is frightening in terms of incompetence and bull shine. Then we have the opposition which just qualifies as to how this lot managed to get into power. I hope going forward people really question who they vote for and do so with their heads and not any sense of misplaced historical loyalty. 

Thats where I think some people's expectations of any government are rather out of alignment with reality.

Governments are mostly formed by career politicians, where having had a job in the real world tends to be the exception, rather than the norm.

They are pretty much wholly reliant on the civil service and outside expert advice to do their jobs. If that advice / information is flawed, or changes on a regular basis, or some of it conflicts with other parts, they are going to struggle.

Even more so in a situation where they are also expected to devote a significant chunk of time to public briefings.

 

Now I know I frequently come across as a paid-up Tory fanboy, but quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of Boris. While I like him as a "bit of a character", he wouldn't have been my first choice for leader of the Conservatives...nevermind PM. I would have preferred Rory Stewart.

I'll even happily admit the Tories do have a track record of sleaze & corruption. But then thats not something exclusive to them.

Even with all that, I still think they've been the least worst option for the last few years. How anyone could get behind Jeremy Corbyn is a mystery to me. Keir Starmer is clearly a very clever bloke and was no doubt a great lawyer, but he doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of rebuilding Labour. Seems to be spending most of him time just trashing the government.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Will said:

I don't, but I literally have no reason to trust a word they say.

They’ve certainly got form in that department, but when someone stands up in parliament and calls Johnson a liar, she gets asked to leave. 
 

Whatever your political persuasion (I voted neither Tory or Labour) you have to question Johnson’s morals and his motivation. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the UK Government and the devolved administrations have all handled COVID pretty appallingly overall, but I'm not sure any other political party would have done massively better. The Tories screwed it up in England, Labour did pretty poorly in Wales, the SNP have made some absolute howlers in Scotland, etc. Claiming another bunch of elected reprobates would have done better is only ever going to be speculation. Plus, most countries have handled it badly overall - some far worse than the UK, and largely regardless of which way their governments lean politically.

One area where I do think Westminster is finally trying to do the right thing is restoring a degree of personal accountability. People are sometimes thick as s**t, but we trust them to make their own decisions in most other aspects of society. With the vast majority now vaccinated, we need to stop the state micromanagement of how many people you can have in your garden etc. Yes, there'll be idiots disrespecting common sense and risking others' safety, but you see that on the motorway every single day and we still let Audi drivers get behind the wheel.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RiseAgainst said:

I think the UK Government and the devolved administrations have all handled COVID pretty appallingly overall, but I'm not sure any other political party would have done massively better. The Tories screwed it up in England, Labour did pretty poorly in Wales, the SNP have made some absolute howlers in Scotland, etc. Claiming another bunch of elected reprobates would have done better is only ever going to be speculation. Plus, most countries have handled it badly overall - some far worse than the UK, and largely regardless of which way their governments lean politically.

One area where I do think Westminster is finally trying to do the right thing is restoring a degree of personal accountability. People are sometimes thick as s**t, but we trust them to make their own decisions in most other aspects of society. With the vast majority now vaccinated, we need to stop the state micromanagement of how many people you can have in your garden etc. Yes, there'll be idiots disrespecting common sense and risking others' safety, but you see that on the motorway every single day and we still let Audi drivers get behind the wheel.

54.6% of the population is not in any way, a "vast majority"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I despise the torys but they are just a symptom of the larger problem in the UK - in that it's not in any way, shape or form a true democracy. 

The fact that a party can earn 43% of the votes and have 100% of the power is a disgrace. Proprotional representation isn't perfect but at least it would stop these charlatans doing whatever they want with zero opposition for 5 years. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats about the most one-eyed view you could possibly have. You sound like a dyed-in-the-wool Labour supporter.

Don't try to tell me Starmer and his crew would have done a better job.

Once again you're trying to turn this into a partisan discussion with no actual reason to do so. It completely undermines any point you're trying to make. It actually makes you look like you're trying to protect the actual performance of this government because of who they are rather than what they did.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats where I think some people's expectations of any government are rather out of alignment with reality.

Governments are mostly formed by career politicians, where having had a job in the real world tends to be the exception, rather than the norm.

They are pretty much wholly reliant on the civil service and outside expert advice to do their jobs. If that advice / information is flawed, or changes on a regular basis, or some of it conflicts with other parts, they are going to struggle.

Even more so in a situation where they are also expected to devote a significant chunk of time to public briefings.

 

Now I know I frequently come across as a paid-up Tory fanboy, but quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of Boris. While I like him as a "bit of a character", he wouldn't have been my first choice for leader of the Conservatives...nevermind PM. I would have preferred Rory Stewart.

I'll even happily admit the Tories do have a track record of sleaze & corruption. But then thats not something exclusive to them.

Even with all that, I still think they've been the least worst option for the last few years. How anyone could get behind Jeremy Corbyn is a mystery to me. Keir Starmer is clearly a very clever bloke and was no doubt a great lawyer, but he doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of rebuilding Labour. Seems to be spending most of him time just trashing the government.

 

…but yeah Corbyn…that one again!

He was never in power so you’ll never know how he would have reacted to the pandemic. As you say, their are countries that have handled this crisis even more badly, death tolls have been awful in Brazil, India and the USA.
 

Sadly these countries do tend to have right leaning leaders, as do we. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats where I think some people's expectations of any government are rather out of alignment with reality.

Governments are mostly formed by career politicians, where having had a job in the real world tends to be the exception, rather than the norm.

They are pretty much wholly reliant on the civil service and outside expert advice to do their jobs. If that advice / information is flawed, or changes on a regular basis, or some of it conflicts with other parts, they are going to struggle.

Even more so in a situation where they are also expected to devote a significant chunk of time to public briefings.

 

Now I know I frequently come across as a paid-up Tory fanboy, but quite honestly I'm not a huge fan of Boris. While I like him as a "bit of a character", he wouldn't have been my first choice for leader of the Conservatives...nevermind PM. I would have preferred Rory Stewart.

I'll even happily admit the Tories do have a track record of sleaze & corruption. But then thats not something exclusive to them.

Even with all that, I still think they've been the least worst option for the last few years. How anyone could get behind Jeremy Corbyn is a mystery to me. Keir Starmer is clearly a very clever bloke and was no doubt a great lawyer, but he doesn't seem to be doing much in the way of rebuilding Labour. Seems to be spending most of him time just trashing the government.

 

Now it's the civil servants and external experts fault (who by all accounts lobbied strongly against a lot of the governments key decisions) ? Anything to avoid criticising the actual people in charge making the decisions I guess.

Even when you can bring yourself to direct a tiny bit of criticism at the Tories you temper it by including that it's not just them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

54.6% of the population is not in any way, a "vast majority"

The gov.uk website lists the total percentage of people aged 18 and over who have received a COVID-19 vaccination second dose as 69.2 per cent, as of July 21st. I think your figure includes children. Latest figures are shown here https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations.

I'd also make the point that nearly 88 per cent of the adult population has had at least one jab, conferring the lion's share of full immunity upon them. More importantly, pretty much all the elderly people and those with serious underlying health conditions have been fully vaccinated.

Either way, that's a hell of an achievement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...