oneBoro Forum

All games off until April

Does an official suspension automatically help financially stricken clubs? Or will this need common sense from authorities and maybe exhibition games to rais much needed funds.

6 minutes ago, Naisby said:

Does an official suspension automatically help financially stricken clubs? Or will this need common sense from authorities and maybe exhibition games to rais much needed funds.

It helps them more than games played behind closed doors which was the only other alternative. Reports yesterday suggested that the league and the larger clubs in England would have to show solidarity with any club that is at risk. You'd think that means donating money to them to help them through it. 

8 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Whilst the league has been postponed until April, I would say that there is little chance of it returning then. Probably looking at June at the very earliest. 

Pure speculation. Just because China has spent three months getting it under control doesn't mean it has to take so long for western countries. We're not taken by surprise like the Chinese and we're not trying to keep it under wraps like the stupid communist administration in China.

29 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Pure speculation. Just because China has spent three months getting it under control doesn't mean it has to take so long for western countries. We're not taken by surprise like the Chinese and we're not trying to keep it under wraps like the stupid communist administration in China.

No, but Farr’s Law of Epidemics (which most pandemics and infections of this nature have followed  for centuries) suggests infection rates in the UK won't peak til June, with several months of continuing exposure risk thereafter. I think either this season is now over, or it'll be delayed til mid-autumn - meaning next season will either be abridged or it won't take place at all.

For what it's worth, I still think infection and mortality rates will be far lower than some of the hysterical claims which have been made recently, but sport represents relatively low-hanging fruit in terms of events which can be cancelled without causing huge social disruption.

I'd rather the teams finished the season behind close doors during the early summer if possible. Have the new season start up in the autumn and scrap cup games for a season and also european competitions. That way national leagues can be finished before the rescheduled Euro21. But under all circumstances I guess we have to wait at least a month to see how it develops before solutions can be discussed.

4 hours ago, Borodane said:

I'd rather the teams finished the season behind close doors during the early summer if possible. Have the new season start up in the autumn and scrap cup games for a season and also european competitions. That way national leagues can be finished before the rescheduled Euro21. But under all circumstances I guess we have to wait at least a month to see how it develops before solutions can be discussed.

Or we can scrap the season, Get a new manager and Gibson doesn’t need to feel any loss of face by appointing Woodgate. 😆