oneBoro Forum
boro-unger

Boro v Brighton - Boro Watchalong.

2 hours ago, Teacider said:

Was that a rare good game for Rochemback or have I just forgotten how decent he was?

He was actually a very good player in hindsight, though at the time I was very underwhelmed. He lacked consistency I feel but on his day was a standout midfielder. 

• Like 1

Rocky had everything to become a world class midfielder, I just got the feeling he wasnt that bothered a lot of the time. Shame as he had natural talents that most would kill to have. His passing range in that game was as good as I've ever seen

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Downing really was outstanding back then, wasn't he? The fact he wasn't an England regular is a disgrace.

Always been the way, as far as I can recall. If you don't play for a top 6 team, you don't get a look in...unless they are really struggling with injuries / suspensions etc.

Back then England managers had a thing for picking big-name players, regardless of their recent form, or whether it produced a balanced team or not.

• Like 1

First time watching it, I listened to this one on the radio back in the day!

Balls. I forgot and have just turned it on. I've missed all the fun!

Im glad I know the outcome of this game. I'd be papping myself if it was live now - So many close chances for Bloton

• Haha 1

I watched the dvd of this match a few weeks ago and it wasn’t always an easy watch as I was there I saw us lift the cup but once or twice I felt myself getting uneasy due to the Bolton pressure. 😆

I was chatting to my dad who I went to the match with and we discussed at which point did we feel most elated at, when we scored or at the final whistle, it might be something to do with age but I felt getting that second goal beat the feeling I felt at the final whistle.

• Like 1

Watching the unconditional love and adoration got steve gibson back then during the trophy presentation makes it even more sad how things have gone in recent years. Unbelievable scenes

• Like 3

Brad jones wearing his goalie gloves during the celebrations despite not getting on the pitch haha

• Haha 1

That was a bit special. So sad I'm too young to have witnessed it. Can only hope I'm lucky enough to one day see something similar. UTFB

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, boroie said:

Anyone remember why Downing didnt start? 

I actually forgot how young he was then, it was only the following season I think he forced Zenden into central midfield? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boroie said:

I actually forgot how young he was then, it was only the following season I think he forced Zenden into central midfield? 

I was gonna say he was only like 19 then right? 

Man that was a fun watch, I was 14 that year so I was a couple years into my active supporting, that was the team I really grew up with. Watching Boateng, Mendieta, Zenden, Queuedrue, and of course TLF. Brings back a lot of memories! I didn't actually get to watch this game because I was playing my own game of football at the same time!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

First time watching it, I listened to this one on the radio back in the day!

I'm ashamed(?) to admit that I've watched it quite a bit as I have it on DVD.  I keep thinking I should be able to hear myself in the crowd as it felt like I was shouting that loud 😀

For the people who weren't there, one thing you might not know is that after the celebrations had finished and everyone was leaving the stadium, the Boro concourses and that were almost silent.  All those people filing out and it was really quiet.  It was kinda eerie actually.  Then a quiet rendition of 'We Shall Overcome' started, which was even weirder in it's own way.  I almost remember that more than some aspects of the game, I think everyone was emotionally drained maybe, I know I was.

• Thanks 1