oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brighton - Boro Watchalong.

2 hours ago, boroie said:

Anyone remember why Downing didnt start? 

1 hour ago, boroie said:

I actually forgot how young he was then, it was only the following season I think he forced Zenden into central midfield? 

He was on loan at Sunderland for part of that season, before Christmas I think it was.  He then came back and started getting into the squad and into the first XI on occasions, but he was still mostly a squad player at that point.  He was still mostly on the bench at the start of the following season until Parlour got injured for a little while and then Mendieta got injured after that.  Zenden got moved into the middle alongside Boateng and Downing came in on the left.

• Like 1
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching the unconditional love and adoration got steve gibson back then during the trophy presentation makes it even more sad how things have gone in recent years. Unbelievable scenes

Dimi was never the best shot stopper but I think he is arguably one of the best keepers with crosses. Everything he went for he generally seemed to claim comfortably. I think he deserved that game aga

I was over for that game and was even lucky enough to stick a few quid on Boro to win 4-1. Got 25/1 on it. Very happy days 

Posted Images

First time I've actually seen that game (could only listen on the radio back then).

Always great to see any game with the Little Fella. Love Schwarzer's gold jersey. 😁

We got off to an absolute flier...then got a bit scrappy and let Bolton back into the game. Quite the howler from Mark to gift Bolton their goal...but he made up for it with some great saves.

Boro could easily have had a couple more with Mendieta's skied effort (on his wrong foot though - really should have scored 2nd half) and Job should have had a penalty when he got his shirt pulled.

Second half seemed very end to end with both sides creating some decent chances...plus a few heart-in-mouth one-on-ones.

Even though I knew the score I was still having kittens in the last 5 minutes. Scenes at the end definitely brought a tear to the eye.

What a team we had back then.

5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He was on loan at Sunderland for part of that season, before Christmas I think it was.  He then came back and started getting into the squad and into the first XI on occasions, but he was still mostly a squad player at that point.  He was still mostly on the bench at the start of the following season until Parlour got injured for a little while and then Mendieta got injured after that.  Zenden got moved into the middle alongside Boateng and Downing came in on the left.

The names in that post 😍

11 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

Right at the end I thought Juninho was going to run through and score. 

We didnt sit back either I think there was a couple of occasions in stoppage time it was 5 on 5 at the back. 

He should have done better a couple of times the useless get 😡

Always said he was overrated.

1 hour ago, boro-unger said:

Still can't believe we won it from here. Hardly had any chances

Our formation was bloody dreadful for the opening half hour. It's no wonder McClaren, Round and the like were sat wondering what to do about it before Goian even put in their second.

George Boateng, though. What a performance. I know he's not the only one but it's the first time since the night itself I've had chance to consider individual performances and I can't imagine as a 15 year old in that game thinking anything other than 10/10 for everyone. But once we got control of the midfield again, Boateng was an absolute beast.

Anyone who watched it, player ratings?

Jones - 5, the 2 goals were in some huge part down to him. Both efforts he saved were parried back into dangerous areas and arguably he should hold the first effort, it bounces right into his chest.

Parnaby - 6, some good throws but largely not as involved as others, especially when we got into the game later

Riggott - 9, made some excellent tackles, won the header that led to his goal, 

Southgate - 5, I love him but he was only on the pitch when we played crap and he was the aspect in the middle of the 3 that looked very much out of place.

Queudrue - 8, defensively much better once the system changed, alongside Riggott managed Steaua's out ball really well

Taylor - 7, in some ways unlucky to come off as he was doing a decent job working the flank but the change did help in a way

Rochemback - 8, some of his passing was really intelligent and he was battling well alongside George, totally forgot how close he was with his left footed effort, completely rooted the keeper with it as well

Boateng - 9, what a game, especially once we changed system, he was absolutely everywhere, not just winning every ball in the air and on the ground but also winning it often in a way so as to avoid giving them a way to get up the pitch, keeping possession in our favour

Downing - 10, our biggest threat and one of our most intelligent passers of the ball. He wasn't just stretching them from out wide and whipping quality crosses in, he worked the entire left flank after Taylor went off and had to come really deep sometimes to ensure they didn't have a way of playing out. 3 wonderful assists, the cross for Massimo's winner... wow.

Hasselbaink - 7, I think he led the team quite well after Southgate went off. But he missed a few chances he should have done a lot better with. Taking a dive when he should have tried to get his shot off, missing from a few yards out by miscontrolling the ball, he didn't really look like scoring.

Viduka - 9, he had a few quite intelligent efforts, he definitely should have put away his incredible chance in the first half, wonderful jump and header for the second and generally the ball stuck to him so long as it was chest or below when he received it

Subs:

Maccarone - 10, bang 2-1, bang 4-2, his first goal was the catalyst for the turnaround, the whole team started to believe after it went in and it was a sodding good finish too. He worked really hard on the right hand side for a long time with not a huge amount of possession. He put in a few decent crosses to no avail. Then a bullet of a header at the back post sent us all ballistic. Was it even real?

Yakubu - 6, very hit and miss, just like him in general at this stage of the season, ever since he stopped scoring he dropped off as a whole. He was kind of a good target to help Downing get out from the back but generally he didn't provide that much of a threat or indeed any kind of significant input.

Ehiogu - 8, he was on for a few minutes only but then made a block that sent us to Eindhoven. We could genuinely have lost it right at the end after all our hard work and he saved us all. RIP Ugo, never forget that day.

• Like 1

Boateng was incredible from the 30mins mark. BUT he and rocky put in a 2/10 performance up until then- I've never seen so many misplaced passes in my life!

What other games would people like them to show now they've done the big 3? I cant think of many more. The brighton game, I don't think I could watch that again. Maybe the utd 4-1 or beating mourinhos Chelsea 3-0?

8-1 v City

Maybe the final in Eindhoven. Even though we got trashed. We don't want everyone coming out of this isolation period under some kind of illusion that Boro are a good team now do we?!