oneBoro Forum

3 Boro goals that sent you into hysterical celebration

In descending order:

3. Emerson vs Sunderland at Roker Park

Roker park wasn't a happy hunting ground for Boro or at least it wasn't when I went. I'd never seen us win there prior to that game. An early start on the beer and the short journey up there in the back of a friends transit van had us all in high spirits long before the game kicked off. When Emo strode onto that ball 30 yards from goal like he was sauntering along the copacabana on a lazy sunday afternoon and unleashed a piledriver that nearly tore the net off it sparked riotous scenes in the terraces behind that goal. The fact that it was old school all standing meant that bodies and limbs were flung here, there and everywhere.

2. Massimo Maccarone vs Basel

We needed to score 4 goals with just over an hour to play but weirdly it felt like a formality as soon as Viduka pulled one back just before half time. In the concourse at half time I lost count of the number of times I heard fans saying 'hey we can do this ya know'. It was almost written in the stars that we would pull it off. That togetherness and universal show of belief culminated in extraordinary scenes in the 90th minute when Massimo received the ball on the right corner of the penalty box and drove the ball into the oposite bottom corner. I went that mental I ran down the steps and kissed a chaps bald head three rows in front of me.

1. Massimo Maccarone vs Steau

We couldnt do it again could we?

Due to a late change in rotation I was able to attend this game but was not in my usual seat in the North Stand. Instead I had managed to get a ticket for the West Lower next to the Boro dugout. The unfamiliar surroundings added to the incredibly surreal and unprecedented celebration. When Downing whipped in that ball from the left hand side and the gleaming bald head of Massimo rose like a salmon at the back post to power a diving header into the far corner I took leave of my senses and celebrated like I'd never celebrated before. An incredible moment that epitomised what football is all about.

In order of age:

1. Ravenelli's in the FA cup quarterfinal that guarnteed we were into our first ever FA cup semi.

2. Zenden's penalty in the league cup final

3. Nugent's goal against Hull

God, I couldn't even pick just three.  Lots to choose from over the years, including some of the great choices selected above 👍

Hendrie's two against Luton, bye bye Ayresome but hello Premier League and The Riverside.  Ravanelli at Wembley 96/97, it looked like we were going to do it finally but then we didn't.  Festa, a whole week later, at Old Trafford against Chesterfield, when it looked like we'd avoided an absolute catastrophe only for history to repeat itself.  Rav's last minute penna winner against Villa at the beginning of the week of destiny.  The whole first 5 mins of the Liverpool League Cup semi final in 97/98.  The first few minutes of the second half against Oxford in the same season.  Festa's last minute equaliser at Southampton when we were down to 9 men for a 3-3 draw in the 98/99 season and Brian Deane's goal to put us 3-0 up at Man Utd a few weeks later - I think that was the last game Man Utd lost that season before winning the treble - "We're gonna win the league", well maybe not.  Boksic twice up at St James park against the Geordies a couple of seasons later.  01/02 season against Man Utd in the cup, hardly any bugger there because there was some argument about the ticket pricing and the fact that it was a lunchtime kick off on the telly, two goals in the last 5 mins to win it, hurrah!  We had some good times against Man Utd back then for whatever reason.  Speaking of which, the following season at home against them on Boxing day, all three goals were decent but the Job one at the end to clinch it because of the second or two it took for Maccarone to head the ball across to him was nice.  Same sort of reason but earlier in that season, against the Mackems at home and Nemeths second goal (our third) when he kind of ran through on his own to score in front of the North Stand - I think it was just the sense of anticipation really.

03/04 season in the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff.  The first 6 or 7 mins as a whole but I was partly hysterical throughout the entire game really when I think about it.  It was ours to lose after that start and unfortunately we seemed to experts in finding ways to do just that up until that point.  Same season, scoring twice in injury time maybe to get a 3-3 draw at home against Leicester and another win at Old Trafford, Juninho scoring twice with his head! and Job getting the winner after Man Utd came back to level.  How did Man Utd win so much back then when we used to give them a going over on a regular basis?  Weird, football, isn't it?  04/05 season, not a goal but Schwarzer saving that penalty at Man City in injury time on the last day of the season to get us into Europe again has to be right up there.  The following season has to be the European goals already mentioned above, the games as a whole were mental but scoring late on to win not just once but twice is about as crazy as it gets.  Humping Man Utd (again) and Chelsea was also a lot of fun.

After that point things got darker and those amazing moments never seemed to come around, at least not for me anyway.  There were always odd games or whatever but we were in decline and you could feel it.  We had some good games under Mowbray and obviously we were in the hunt a couple of times during seasons but we always fell away.  I think you're probably waiting until the 14/15 season for some more great moments - Leadbitter's freekick at Huddersfield was fantastic, Bamford's goal at Derby and the own goal at Norwich, the play off games against Brentford.  I stopped going away from home by this point though so most of those weren't experienced in the same way, the home play off game of course was though.  Following season, both games against Brighton had goals which got me going and against Derby over Xmas with the two goals in two minutes.  Nugent against Hull and Forshaw against Reading, mental.

Probably loads I've missed out as well.  I think I just enjoy us scoring goals in any circumstances 😀

In no particular order:

Juninho v Arsenal. Jan 2004. League cup semi final, first leg against the Invincibles. That was when I started feeling that this was our year.

Maccarone v Basel. April 2006. UEFA Cup Quarters. 90th minute winner to take us through to Steau, where he did it again!

Stuani v Brighton. May 2016. Championship. Stadium is bouncing, packed to the rafters, we only need a draw to gain promotion to the Premier League under Karanka. The party started at that moment and even a Brighton leveller couldn't dampen the mood!

Garry Hamilton vs Bradford City play off semi final second leg,

Paul Kerr vs Aston Villa ZDS Cup semi final 2nd leg

Paul Wilkinson away vs Wolves last day of the season to win promotion.

That Nugent goal against Hull! I was supposed to be making dinner for my wifes entire family in a rented summer house, but they weren't aware that I was following the game on my phone as I was alone in the kitchen and kept it quite. That changed however when Nugent scored and I was flying around the kitchen and did a small knee slide. Looked up and everyone was looking like big question marks. Brilliant. Needles to say the rimmed salmon starter was perfect. At least I ate with a smile on that evening.

The two Maccarone goals are up there though no doubt.

• Like 2

A quick addition to this interesting question, probably for the older supporters in part 1, but everyone who has travelled to support in part 2.

part 1

when answering the original question I found that our time at the Riverside has been filled with great goals but when thinking about it I found that the goals that made me most exhilarated and hyper in my celebrations nearly all came at Ayresome Park, now I’m old enough to have been an active supporter over the 2 grounds but I do believe the sheer joy and communal togetherness of a Boro goal at Ayresome beats that at the Riverside.

part 2

I also chose a goal scored away from home too, and I was wondering if anyone felt that goals scored at home or away brought out different feelings of joy and excitement.

For me, I’ve been on many a thankless away trip but there is something genuinely special when you score away from home, whether it be a Bernie Tap in or a Karambeu missile like he did at Valley Parade, there all special but an away goal is like a good pint that comes with a chaser imo. You can never count on them but when they come everyone of them is welcome.

Edited by Naisby

Willie Maddren against Swindon 1971 ....long distance rocket

Hickton at Birmingham...1st goal back in Div 1

Stan at St.James...counter attack and 20 yard belter after running half length of the pitch